Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me tell you, the spare tire process on this car is not fun.

So, I got a flat in a mall parking lot. AAA said it would take them almost 2 hrs to come. I said screw that, I'll roll up my sleeves and knock it out myself. Dropping the spare down was quick & easy, as I've had to remove it several times when doing VTM-4 fluid changes, I forgot, though, how much the bottle jack sucks. Soooo slow and drips grease all down the piston shaft (luckily I actually keep a set of gloves in the glove compartment haha). The holes on the spare were all rusty because everything gets blasted with road salt/crud under the truck. As I slipped on the spare, rust dust covered the wheel studs. So, I cleaned them off the best I could so the lug nuts would go on smoothly. Forty minutes later, I was all done. I hit up a gas station afterward to air up the nearly flat spare. But man, the truck handles like crap with this thing (no wonder it's meant to be temporary). The spare thumps going down the road and the steering wanders in its direction when going over bumps. Can't wait to get this thing off ASAP!

·
Registered
247 Posts
First "upgrade" for me was buying a steel wheel from an LX and a full size tire from TireRack. Not only is it a must if you get a flat while towing, it's just that much more peace of mind if I ever do get a flat (towing or not).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think I'm in the minority, but I believe that upgrading to a full-size spare is essential for these vehicles.

A decent Honda alloy wheel from a junkyard will run $75 - $100. A real tire is cheaper than replacing the doughnut spare. You have to be a little careful raising the full-size into position to get it to seat properly, but other than that, there's no downside.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm in this group also ...75 bucks off ebay for a matched rim and tossed a tire on that I had sitting in the garage ...
your also speed limited with the doughnut spare

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a new tire put on under road hazard warranty and all is well again. I'm going to look into getting a full-size spare as you guys said. The doughnut rode like crap with only me in the car; I don't wanna imagine what it would feel like if I was on vacation with a fully loaded car :oops:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I lucked out and found someone selling a spare steel wheel for $30 in my home town. He had bought it for the same reason but sold his pilot before mounting a tire.

I had a flat a few months back and used the full size spare for a few days without issue.

Do yourselves a favor and toss rubber gloves in with the tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts