Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The U-joints in the rear driveshaft (or propeller shaft as Honda calls it) of my 2003 EXL are failing, and I need to replace them. I'm having trouble finding part numbers for replacement U-joints. Some initial research seems to say that Honda only offers a complete replacement prop shaft, which is stupid, since it obviously has standard U-joints in there. Can anyone supply me with part numbers for the joints, please?

Thanks!

Casey

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Looked in the service manual it's a one piece unit at this point ..even on rockauto and advanced / autozone they are all one piece units

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked in the service manual it's a one piece unit at this point ..even on rockauto and advanced / autozone they are all one piece units

Yeah, that's what I was coming up with as well, but looking at the actual shaft, it appears to be standard U-joints. I may have to remove them first and take them to a parts store and match them up that way.

Casey

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was coming up with as well, but looking at the actual shaft, it appears to be standard U-joints. I may have to remove them first and take them to a parts store and match them up that way.

Casey
Yes By all means I was thinking the same ... you may have to go that route as you suggested ..good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the shaft and attempted to remove the U-joints. Honda has secured the joints in such a way that they can't be easily removed or replaced. Instead of using some sort of snap pin or ring like every other automobile I've owned, they used a machine to smash down the inside of the yoke and pinch the joint in:

I could probably remove the joint with a little sweat and blood, but I don't see a way to secure the replacement joint and still have a balanced shaft. This is one of the dumbest designs I have every seen. Why would they make it to where the entire shaft assembly has to be replaced instead of making it easy to replace just the part that wears out??

Casey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So apparently these are called "staked in" U-joints. They are not classified by the dealer or the service manual as replaceable, but they actually are:

YouTube

The replacement joints will have snap-rings on the inside of the joints to hold them in place.

I will attempt to press mine out, and then see if I can order some replacements!

Casey

·
Registered
62 Posts
So apparently these are called "staked in" U-joints. They are not classified by the dealer or the service manual as replaceable, but they actually are:

YouTube

The replacement joints will have snap-rings on the inside of the joints to hold them in place.

I will attempt to press mine out, and then see if I can order some replacements!

Casey
Using a stake to secure a bearing is fairly common in aerospace, be happy its not a roll stake... Where you have to use a pencil grinder all the way around to compromise the integrity of the stake then press it through...
http://www.carterbearings.co.uk/wp-...Correctly-Swaged-V-Groove-Bearing-300x193.jpg

Also be happy they aren't nylon injected like GM used on drive shafts yokes for years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also be happy they aren't nylon injected like GM used on drive shafts yokes for years.

It's funny you should say that! I'm a long-time GM fan/owner, and am quite used to the nylon setup you refer to. Removing the U-joints the first time is quite a bear if you don't melt the nylon first!

This is my first time coming across the staked-in joints, obviously.

Casey

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
so in that video the moog set didn't fit ..might want to keep that in mind

1 - 9 of 9 Posts