Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have read multiple forums on map light not working when door opens although my problem is different. My driver side map light does not work at all. Even with the switch in the ON position. The passenger side is working fine. I have already tried replacing the bulb and it did not work. Do not think it is the fuse cause the other side is working. Any ideas of what it may be?? The switch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks. I hope it is that and not the base unit.. Will order and see.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Probably not the base unit (light assembly) as your passenger side works and the light assembly shares components and wiring with both driver and passenger sides, except for the toggle switches (not the one you slide for all lights) and bulbs. So it is likely the bulb, toggle switch or one of the contacts is corroded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already ruled out the bulb. Can I see if there is any corrosion without taking it apart?

·
Registered
541 Posts
You could see if there is corrosion on the bulb contacts. But you have to drop the assembly to remove the pins to check those contacts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anything else not working? Both of my map lights not working, but they're on a list of other things not working.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Map light switch failures are EXTREMELY common. They are cheap and easy to replace. Youtube has some guides as does this site.

I had to replace both of mine. Takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Before you buy new switches, you might want to verify it is not the corrosion that some (including me) have found. Easiest way to do this is to drop the assembly and then swap the switches between the driver and passenger side. If the problem follows the driver side switch to the passenger side, then that's your culprit so buy a replacement set of switches. If not, then you should look for corrosion on the three pins/tines that go into the switch. Sometimes the middle tine has some corrosion on it. For me, the middle tin was not as shiny as the other two so I cleaned it up with some WD40 and it's been working with the old switch. The other threads on here have good info on finding and cleaning the corrosion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your recommendation. I replaced the switch and it is working!!! Thanks again..:):):)
Before you buy new switches, you might want to verify it is not the corrosion that some (including me) have found. Easiest way to do this is to drop the assembly and then swap the switches between the driver and passenger side. If the problem follows the driver side switch to the passenger side, then that's your culprit so buy a replacement set of switches. If not, then you should look for corrosion on the three pins/tines that go into the switch. Sometimes the middle tine has some corrosion on it. For me, the middle tin was not as shiny as the other two so I cleaned it up with some WD40 and it's been working with the old switch. The other threads on here have good info on finding and cleaning the corrosion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From my experience. The map light works when you press it on and off. But when you open the door the left side Doesn’t come on only the right side. It’s the button. I went to junk yard and yanked the right side button from Honda map light and works perfect ever since. I had to also do it in my 07 accord too easy to replace

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems that this is a very common issue. I bought my '11 Pilot and it had the same issue I took the entire assembly out and tested it for shorts and found that the switch had a short ordered it on Ebay and replaced both switches done in 15 minutes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts