Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having a clicking/knowing/tapping from the front end. It’s only when accelerating from a stop and I need to pull out slower to make it stop. The noise increases or slows with speed of acceleration. Noise happens when going straight and when turning in both directions. Noise doesn’t happen during normal driving.

I’ve noticed that the grease nipple on the drivers sway bar end link is hitting the cv axle (sticker on axle is torn off in that area).

Here’s some history, had the transmission changed a couple of years ago. Recently installed new shock/struts, and had a mechanic change both wheel bearings(oem), all brake pads(oem) and brake rotors. I’ve only noticed the noise after the bearing and brake change but my wife says she’s heard it before then. Since hearing the noise I’ve changed sway bar bushing, sway bar end links(oem) and right lower control arm. All needed to be serviced anyway so I started with them.

Axles are original(160k miles) and look good with no leaks. I did notice some play in the inner cup that goes into the trans. I don’t know how much play is normal. It’s not a whole lot but noticeable.

Is it possible for a cv axle to look good but move enough to end the end link Could the sway bar be out of place, what keeps the alignment of the sway bar? Could the movement at the transmission be a problem, trans or axle problem?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
That can't be normal. Who did the work, dealer, other shop or you? If one of the former two, take it back to them before something even mas no bueno happens.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Original axles with 160k miles, cv joints worn. Bearings replaced recently, possible cv damaged during this job. Axle and cv now out of balance, causing vibration and hitting the sway bar link.

That's my guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update,
Since my last post I’ve installed a new drivers side axle and lower control arm and the noise is still there.
I noticed while having the wheels off the ground and in park the wheels still spun and wasn’t held by being in P as expected, I think the wheels spun in opposite directions. But when lowered to the ground, P kept it from roiling down my inclined driveway. Is that normal?

Almost every part I can think of has been changed within the last six months. I’m starting to think it’s a transmission issue. I really hope it isn’t but I can’t think of anything else at this point. Can anyone think of something that would cause a clicking /tapping noise? Suspension or transmission? Only when accelerating from a stop. I’m trying but can’t figure out how to upload a video.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
I just looked at mine, and my grease fittings are facing away from the axle. Is the sway bar end link possibly installed upside down?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked at mine, and my grease fittings are facing away from the axle. Is the sway bar end link possibly installed upside down?
Since the first picture I’ve changed to oem sway bar links and noise is still there. I didn’t notice any new marking on the new axle either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts