Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the driver door lock actuator today. Not a bad job, actually. I heard horror stories from the CR-V forum, but this was not very difficult. First, remove door panel. Start with the plastic corner trim piece. I used a plastic pry bar from the top for this. There are two screws behind a pop out panel behind the door handle. Remove those. Tip the plate that holds the handle towards you, then lift up to remove. The lock electrical connector sticks down below the hole, you will see as you get into it. Disconnect the open rod from the handle, and also the electrical connector. Remove the large screw on the armrest. Use a plastic pry bar and pop the door panel away from the door. Pic 3 shows what you see. I found it easier to remove the light connector, and then rotate door panel 180 degrees to undo the electrical connectors. Mine had three. The blue one on the end is not fun to remove, nor is it fun to install. There is barely enough room. Ok, now the panel is off. On the left side, you will see the lock actuator, and the locking assembly. We are only concerned with the actuator. No reason to replace the whole assembly unless it's physically broken. Remove the three phillips screws for the door latch. Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the window track in place. Remove the window track by pulling it down, and then out. Back to the three rods. There is #1 for the lock on the door. This one seemed to be the hardest for me to get out. In fact, I was replacing the actuator in place, when that rod just happened to fall out. There is #2 on the outside door handle that needs to be disconnected from the handle assembly. #3 is the lock knob that can stay where it is. #4 is for the inner door handle. That whole rod can come out with the actuator assembly. There are two electrical connectors on the actuator that need to be removed. Now you should be able to remove the actuator assembly. With it in your hand, there is one phillips screw that needs to be removed. Then the metal piece pries off. I used a small screwdriver for this. The actuator has two plastic clips that hold it in place. Sort of awkward to get them. I used a screwdriver again to pry the locking tab up, and then push the actuator towards me. Then the other locking tab, and the first one pushed itself back in. Finally after a few tries, I got them both off, and the actuator slid right out. Installation is reverse of removal. Make sure the door opening rod piece is installed correctly. I had to do this step twice, due to my improper technique. Put the lock actuator in before the window track. Make sure the window track goes in correctly. The blue connector will once again be a pain. Enjoy locks that work like they should.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Super! Two thumbs up. (y)(y)

Hope you don't mind, I made it into a PDF for folks who like a printout to take out into the field.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Wanted to do a video, but I have lots of footage with no way of editing. Thinking of getting an I Mac. (shudder) Do with it what you will. Hoping to help out some folks if possible. EDIT: Upon looking at my write up, it does sort of seem like a jumbled mess. Guess I was more concerned with writing everything while it was still in my head and less concerned about formatting.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
If you have a Windows machine, there's a way to get and use their free and really intuitive (but discontinued) video editor, Windows Movie Maker: windows movie maker windows 10 at DuckDuckGo

Even if there are more sophisticated video editors, like Vegas, I still use it for quick and simple projects.

IIRC, there are also some video editing tools directly on YouTube when you upload there.

No need for a Mac.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have thought about looking for Movie Maker. Thanks for the link. Funny MS took it out of the build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts