Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been washing my new Pilot the old fashion way (with a bucket of soap and a sponge) but I'm considering the use of my local brushless car wash once in a while when I'm pressed for time. However, I think I read somewhere that Honda does not recommend using an automated car wash if you have the OEM air deflector installed. Has anyone had a problem with paint scratching or any other kind of damage by using a brushless car wash with the OEM air deflector installed?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You should read the thread dealing with rear air deflectors falling off. Seems some service departments are attributing the blame to automatic car washes in order to avoid a warranty repair.

Thread #1

Thread #2

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm wondering how the paint is getting scratched by a "brushless" car wash?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not aware of the problem with the rear air deflector (spoiler). However, I was referring to the FRONT OEM Air Deflector. My concern is that the water pressure from the car wash will force the air deflector or its hardware to come in contact with the Pilot's hood and damage the paint.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the Form Fit model and it has 3M bumpons so there is no way the deflector can touch the paint. Doesn't the OEM deflector have the bumpons?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
While I've not tried it yet, I think the Form Fit deflector would be ok with a brushless wash. I use one every now and then, particularly in the winter. I may get a chance to try it this weekend and make a report.

·
Registered
725 Posts
No Problems Here...

I have the FormFit deflector on my PILOT and use the brushless wash somewhat regularly. I have not had a problem at all with my deflector.

I've also used the automatic washers with other vehicles and had deflectors on them as well and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
When going through the dryer in the brushless carwash I usually use, my Perfect Fit deflector seems to take both the continual gusts of the air and the initial bump or contact of the dryer vent very well. There's a tall bumpon on the hood right under the middle of the deflector and I've also placed two smallers ones on the sides where the hoods slopes down to the side and seems to keep the deflector pretty stable.

There are some drive-thru carwashes where you can press a button after you keyed in the code to not to let the dryer vent come down at all. The carwash I go to used to do that before they upgraded or renovated the carwash. It scared the heck out of me the first time I went through the carwash after it was upgraded because the vent actually came down! :eek: There was no way to avoid that dropped down vent, but upon close inspection, the brackets didn't seem to've budged and the deflector had no marks, so I continued going there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I not quite sure what "bumpons" are. The OEM front air deflector has plastic clips over 2 of the 4 screw heads but the clips are pointed and they don't appear to provide that much protection against chafing or scratching but I could be wrong. Fortunately, the car wash near me does not have the jet air dryer so it's only the water pressure I'm concerned about.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Bumpons are little cone shaped silicone pieces (as opposed to pancake shaped silicone pieces) that are attached to the hood via adhesive tape. The protect the hood if the air deflector is pushed downward, by a force such as wind pressure. In this case, the air deflector "bumps on" the silicone pieces, instead of bumping on the hood.

·
Registered
964 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
I not quite sure what "bumpons" are. The OEM front air deflector has plastic clips over 2 of the 4 screw heads but the clips are pointed and they don't appear to provide that much protection against chafing or scratching but I could be wrong. Fortunately, the car wash near me does not have the jet air dryer so it's only the water pressure I'm concerned about.
Bumpons are little pieces of plastic or rubber which adhere to the paint of the vehicle to prevent the air deflector from rubbing on the paint. Here is an example of jay's Form Fit Air Deflector's bumpons from this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
RipRocK said:
When going through the dryer in the brushless carwash I usually use, my Perfect Fit deflector seems to take both the continual gusts of the air and the initial bump or contact of the dryer vent very well. There's a tall bumpon on the hood right under the middle of the deflector and I've also placed two smallers ones on the sides where the hoods slopes down to the side and seems to keep the deflector pretty stable.

There are some drive-thru carwashes where you can press a button after you keyed in the code to not to let the dryer vent come down at all. The carwash I go to used to do that before they upgraded or renovated the carwash. It scared the heck out of me the first time I went through the carwash after it was upgraded because the vent actually came down! :eek: There was no way to avoid that dropped down vent, but upon close inspection, the brackets didn't seem to've budged and the deflector had no marks, so I continued going there.
When I go to the local touch-free automatic wash, I have to use a spin cycle (set on air dry) to dry the Pilot. Upon leaving the car wash, I take it for a spin. :2:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jay said:
When I go to the local touch-free automatic wash, I have to use a spin cycle (set on air dry) to dry the Pilot. Upon leaving the car wash, I take it for a spin. :2:
hehehehe....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smurray said:
Bumpons are little pieces of plastic or rubber which adhere to the paint of the vehicle to prevent the air deflector from rubbing on the paint.
Thanks for the bumpon photo, smurray. My OEM air deflector does not have the bumpons but I would be concerned with anything adhering to the paint even though its purpose is to protect the paint. If the Form Fit Air Deflector was removed after a number of years, wouldn't the paint under the bumpons be darker because the paint would fade over time?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
smurray said:
Bumpons are little pieces of plastic or rubber which adhere to the paint of the vehicle to prevent the air deflector from rubbing on the paint.
Thanks for the bumpon photo, smurray. My OEM air deflector does not have the bumpons but I would be concerned with anything adhering to the paint even though its purpose is to protect the paint. If the Form Fit Air Deflector was removed after a number of years, wouldn't the paint under the bumpons be darker because the paint would fade over time?
The bumpon is clear and the deflector is dark acrylic. Any tan lines :eek: would be because of the dark acrylic deflector, not a clear, transparent bumpon.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
smurray said:
Nah, you needn't be concerned with those things. I've put on and took off those little 3M bumpons numerous times without any problems. It's widely used by both accessories shops and the aftermarket deflector manufacturers everywhere and it's been around for a longtime now. It's a proven product, AFAIK.

[For those of you who are already familiar with/sick of my hood sotry, look away now! :D]

What I'd be concerned about with your OEM deflector is that unless they changed the designs on them, they'd still be using those metal brackets that are attached to the hood instead of the rubbers ones like Form Fit or Perfect Fit uses. If that's the case, I wouldn't wanna run it through a drive-thru car wash because the gusts of air from the dryer will make those metal brackets eat away through the transparent protective tape/film that are _supposed_to_be_ placed where the brackets and the hood come in contact and will eventually eat away at your paint.

The dealer from which I bought my Pilot didn't even bother to put the tape on let alone install the deflector properly. Because of the improper installation, the deflector made this whistling noise and when the dealer wasn't able to resolve the noise issue, I asked them to take it off for a refund. When they took the deflector off is when they discovered that the metal brackets had eaten away on the paint and thus my exasperating experience of trying to get the hood repaird properly began which lasted for more 4 months.

First, check to make sure that there are protective film where the brackets make contact with the hood. Second, check carefully if the films has become frayed or is still completely in tact. If neither of those are true, then I'd express my concern about bare metal of the brackets on the hood and see what they say. Tell them that other deflectors for the Pilot use rubber brackets and still use those protective film.

I was just wondering, dukeofjuke, did you come across this forum and read about the deflectors for the Pilot before you got your OEM one or did you discover this forum after you got it installed?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
RipRock,

I know fer shure that protective tape is on my Pilot. I know the installer of my Form Fit deflector extremely well, and he's a perfectionist. :D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jay said:
RipRock,

I know fer shure that protective tape is on my Pilot. I know the installer of my Form Fit deflector extremely well, and he's a perfectionist. :D
Cool, cool. But you know, even without the protective film, I don't thnk the rubber brackets which are used by Form Fit and Perfect Fit (mine) would pose too much of a threat to the paint on the hood.

I'm just concerned with dukeofjuke's metal brackets with his OEM deflector, unless they changed the designs on them and have changed to some rubber compound brackets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most of the touchless car washes around Calgary are what I would call a wand wash. That's what I use to get the heavier dirt off. Then while the weather still permits I take the Pilot home to make sure it's clean and if necessary give it Zaino polish/gloss enhancer. I'm hoping if I've done enough polishing now I can get through the winter just using the wand wash. Even in the summer I've always found the wand washes handy for really cleaning around wheel wells etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts