Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have searched the forums, but cannot find the exact scenario. 2004 Honda Pilot with approx 270,000. Sometimes when I am driving the drive light goes out for a few seconds (electrical stays on) and then it will kick back on. The mechanic stated it was transmission so I got that rebuilt, but still happens intermittently.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Mechanics are just trying to throw money at it, but I need to know the true issue. Car has sentimental value and do not want to give it up.

Thanks

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Wow, they went straight for the nuclear option, rebuilding the transmission.

First, and much less expensive, I'd...
  1. Do a 3x drain and fill (not flush) with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a bit between each D&F.
  2. Change the serviceable ATF filter.
  3. Swap in OEM transmission pressure switches.
  4. Replace the transmission position (range) sensor. 2004 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor | RockAuto

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
#4 on above was my first thought before seeing the response. Are you experiencing any weird issue starting up the Pilot?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

Have the codes read with a Honda specific scan tool. That might offer some clues.

Reactions: ConrodM and Lady V

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, they went straight for the nuclear option, rebuilding the transmission.

First, and much less expensive, I'd...
  1. Do a 3x drain and fill (not flush) with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a bit between each D&F.
  2. Change the serviceable ATF filter.
  3. Swap in OEM transmission pressure switches.
  4. Replace the transmission position (range) sensor. 2004 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor | RockAuto
Thank you!

Have the codes read with a Honda specific scan tool. That might offer some clues.

Well....my it stopped working today. Looks like it is the fuel pump. Time will tell. Thank you all so much!!!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I believe there is a fuel pump relay which you should hear click when you turn the ignition two clicks (to the one before the engine cranks). Check the relay and fuse before looking into the fuel pump.

Reactions: Lady V

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Fuel pumps rarely go out on these vehicles. Relays and fuses, hoo boy, much more common.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts