Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, no I haven't done this.
After seeing my valves dirty on this 3rd gen engine that the amazing Honda engineers design without the fuel passing over the valves as previous Honda V6 engines, I'm looking for opinions of creating a permanent hole that can be plugged and unplugged for using valve spray cleaner. Somone on a Hyundai forum has done this already.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing. You could use the PCV port as well but the cleaner wouldn't be distributed evenly to all the cylinders. Was the #1 cylinder intake the worst on your Pilot? That CRC GDI intake cleaner gets good reviews and I was thinking about using it at each oil change and having a port would make it really easy to do.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about the same thing. You could use the PCV port as well but the cleaner wouldn't be distributed evenly to all the cylinders. Was the #1 cylinder intake the worst on your Pilot? That CRC GDI intake cleaner gets good reviews and I was thinking about using it at each oil change and having a port would make it really easy to do.
Yes, #1 was way worse, I'd be tempted to drill a hole right through the manifold over #1 if I didn't think it would hurt anything. Would need a way to plug safely.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'd be tempted to drill a hole right through the manifold over #1 if I didn't think it would hurt anything. Would need a way to plug safely.
If you removed the manifold then drilled a hole over #1 use either a press in vacuum port fitting or tap threads for a threaded port or bolt. Vacuum ports are easily sealed.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you removed the manifold then drilled a hole over #1 use either a press in vacuum port fitting or tap threads for a threaded port or bolt. Vacuum ports are easily sealed.
The manifold is removed. 😁
I'm willing to do it. Got a vacuum fitting in mind?

·
Registered
868 Posts
The manifold is removed. 😁
I'm willing to do it. Got a vacuum fitting in mind?
Tha manifold looks like a plastic composite material so it may crack if you try to press fit a metal fitting or thread it. You may be able to just drill it and press in a plastic fitting of some sort then just seal it with one of those rubber caps when you are not using it. Probably a 1/8" ID fitting would be large enough to insert the straw on the CRC aerosol .

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
255 Posts
First, no I haven't done this.
After seeing my valves dirty on this 3rd gen engine that the amazing Honda engineers design without the fuel passing over the valves as previous Honda V6 engines, I'm looking for opinions of creating a permanent hole that can be plugged and unplugged for using valve spray cleaner. Somone on a Hyundai forum has done this already.
You could buy a Toyota with Direct and Port injection.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This intake valve deposit subject puzzles me. Nothing "washes" intake valves like a carburetor and yet over time plenty of carbureted motors have large amounts of deposits on the intake valves. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This intake valve deposit subject puzzles me. Nothing "washes" intake valves like a carburetor and yet over time plenty of carbureted motors have large amounts of deposits on the intake valves. 🤷‍♂️
How well tuned the engine is = more or less deposits.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
After seeing my valves dirty on this 3rd gen engine that the amazing Honda engineers design without the fuel passing over the valves as previous Honda V6 engines, I'm looking for opinions of creating a permanent hole that can be plugged and unplugged for using valve spray cleaner.
Where is all of this dirt coming from?
Is it passing through the Wix air filter?
Is whatever oil filter you're using not up to the task?
Do you need a cleaner burning fuel?
Or, maybe different spark plugs?
Could the SVCM device be the cause?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is all of this dirt coming from?
Is it passing through the Wix air filter?
Is whatever oil filter you're using not up to the task?
Do you need a cleaner burning fuel?
Or, maybe different spark plugs?
Could the SVCM device be the cause?
I've never used a Wix air filter and the spark plugs are OEM in this 3rd gen. Are you sure your heckling the right person?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Leaking valve guides

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
.....and the intake valves get re-washed each time they open. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would imagine crankcase vapor pulled through the PCV system will cause some buildup. The oily vapor can’t help the situation. If I owned a direct injection engine I would first do a PCV catch can.

I wonder what the difference in valve cleaning would be if you were to use the drilled hole in the intake vs just using the vacuum hose for the brake booster - like some people do when using Seafoam? Just something to think about.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Select a vacuum port that fits your CDC GRI spray cleaner tube
Tha manifold looks like a plastic composite material so it may crack if you try to press fit a metal fitting or thread it. You may be able to just drill it and press in a plastic fitting of some sort then just seal it with one of those rubber caps when you are not using it. Probably a 1/8" ID fitting would be large enough to insert the straw on the CRC aerosol .
I could drill a hole and use a die to make threads or JB weld in a plastic fitting. Capping it is my big concern.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would imagine crankcase vapor pulled through the PCV system will cause some buildup. The oily vapor can’t help the situation. If I owned a direct injection engine I would first do a PCV catch can.

I wonder what the difference in valve cleaning would be if you were to use the drilled hole in the intake vs just using the vacuum hose for the brake booster - like some people do when using Seafoam? Just something to think about.
Since #1 is problematic, it being the furthest away from the throttle body, seems the cleaner will likely be drawn in more by the closest cylinders.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I could drill a hole and use a die to make threads or JB weld in a plastic fitting. Capping it is my big concern.
IMO capping shouldn’t be an issue. Back in the carb days when capping off EGR or pollution devices we used plastic or rubber caps or whatever. But the catch can is a good suggestion for GDI engines

1 - 20 of 34 Posts