Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Pilot - EXL 287,000 miles (Original Owner)

Decided to dress up my Pilot since she has been so good to me. Added the roof basket, rear end step and front end bull bar. While I was at it, stripped the OEM wheels and painted them black. This year, she got new front KYB Struts, KYB Shocks, sway bar bushings, stabilizer links and inner & outer tie-rods.

She has never seen a drop of conventional oil - Mobil 1 Synthetic every 6,000 miles. Every January I drain and refill every fluid - Transfer Case, Transmission, Rear Differential, brake and power steering. I know doing it yearly seems excessive but it is more for my sanity. We have four Hondas and trying to remember what needs to be done with each car is tough.

Outside of the Mobil 1, I only use Honda fluids for everything. The only things replaced have been the alternator, battery, water pump - timing belt (2x). In the interior I replaced the center console leather and the arm rest leather on the driver and passenger doors. Outside of the timing belt & water pump Ive done all the work myself. She has been so good to me, she deserved the accessories. Up next, tinting the front windows and adding an LED bar to the front.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Sky
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome! Looks rad and ready for overlanding. Curious, do you notice any difference with the KYB shocks and struts? Did you keep the stock springs? Which bull bar did you purchase?

Also, did you go with bigger tires?

I updated my 2014 to 30" tires (235/65 R18 Michelin CrossClimate SUV). These provide a better highway ride for long-trips, soak up bumps better and have better traction on dirt roads. The CC have a somewhat aggressive, tractor-like tread pattern. I'm thinking of moving up to 265/60 R18 in the CC, for a 30.5" tire with a wider contact patch (on stock wheels).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thank you! I always try to stick with what is OEM. I noticed a huge difference by putting on the KYB front and back. Yes, I kept the stock springs. What I do is buy the BYB shocks and struts and pull the old ones and then take them to Pep Boys to switch the springs to the new ones and then re-install them. Ive done this on all of my Hondas and have never had an issue. I did not update the tires as I bought some Michelin about 6 months ago. Here is the link to the bull bar I bought

Amazon.com: Topline Autopart Matte Black Studded Mesh Bull Bar Brush Push Front Bumper Grill Grille Guard With Skid Plate For 09-15 Honda Pilot : Automotive

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Looks sharp! Nice job keeping up with the maintenance, your Pilot is a testament to what good care will do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts