Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Covid cabin fever has me contemplating flattening my ancient, ramshackle garage and starting from scratch.

There are lots of threads addressing topics like "which floor covering?" or "what utility cabinets". There are lots of articles reminding you to make sure you have enough (meaning, way more than you think you will need) power, light, storage, etc.

What I'm looking for are the less obvious items that you wouldn't be without. Extra credit for naming the thing that seems silly but you wouldn't part with.

In the spirit of the thing, mine are:

- power in the ceiling where I can plug in a battery tender and a retractable extension cord. I can make wires go up instead of sideways when I want to.

- steel restaraunt-style chrome open shelving from Costco. Bulletproof, adjustable, heavy, cheap. I bought one for the pantry when we first moved in, then got more for the garage after I saw how useful it was.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Covid cabin fever has me contemplating flattening my ancient, ramshackle garage and starting from scratch.

There are lots of threads addressing topics like "which floor covering?" or "what utility cabinets". There are lots of articles reminding you to make sure you have enough (meaning, way more than you think you will need) power, light, storage, etc.

What I'm looking for are the less obvious items that you wouldn't be without. Extra credit for naming the thing that seems silly but you wouldn't part with.

In the spirit of the thing, mine are:

- power in the ceiling where I can plug in a battery tender and a retractable extension cord. I can make wires go up instead of sideways when I want to.

- steel restaraunt-style chrome open shelving from Costco. Bulletproof, adjustable, heavy, cheap. I bought one for the pantry when we first moved in, then got more for the garage after I saw how useful it was.
I put retractable power and compressed air reels on the ceiling.
Tiled the floor. Double butter the tiles so there's no chance of air pockets. Get a tile with texture so they're not slippery when wet, but not so textured, spilled fluids and oil doesn't clean up easily with a paper towel.
Peg board on the walls. Hang stuff neatly where you can see it, instead of losing it a day after you buy it and have to go buy it again.
We just put in iPod minis around the house and one in the garage so you can be paged for dinner or viceversa.
Sink with hot and cold running water.
A bathroom so you aren't trudging through the house with dirty shoes.
A parts washing bin
A sandblaster or glass bead blaster
Good sturdy workbench with heavy duty vice
A exhaust fan with large filter and a small spray paint booth
Never hurts to have good speakers (ceiling flush mount), multimedia receifer and a big flat screen tv with high enough resolution to use as a computer monitor or scan tool screen.
Lighting ... put led shop lights as many as you can fit on the ceiling. Never enough light.
If I were really starting from scratch, I'd put in a lift.
Oh, and duct in a vent or two and a return to your HVAC, or install a through the wall or split system HVAC with reverse cycle or heater strips.
Insulate the ceiling, walls and garage door(s).
OK, I'm done spending your money. Let me know if you get more and I'll send you more even expensiver idears.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
A lift, tire mount and balance machine is my plan, some day.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Well I just spent a week with my dad doing this to our barn...

1. SPACE... when you think it's big enough add more space, you can never have enough.
  2. POWER... Others have said it, enough is never enough. We did install reels on the ceiling in the middle of the barn too.
  3. LIGHTING... Strip/workspace lighting over workbenches. Don't make the mistake of putting the lights directly over the cars, that doesn't help you when you are detailing or working on the suspension/brakes. We have two rows of cars so we ran three rows of lights, there is still more than enough light on top (understatement, the LED high bays are insanely bright).
  4. LIFT... we haven't got one yet but 2-3 lifts is the dream for the barn
  5. ENTRANCES... put in multiple man doors and if you can garage doors, either across from each other or one on the side. We use all of the doors frequently.
  6. HVAC... we don't have the power and quite frankly don't want to spend the money to condition the barn, but we put in 4 industrial fans to get some moving air during the summer. The kerosene jet heater is sufficient in the winter.
  7. PLUMBING... half bath would be a dream with a utility sink in it. Love to have a spigot and floor drain with the concrete swaled to wash cars inside during winter or just out of the sun during summer.
  8. AIR... we plumbed the barn to hook up the monster compressor my dad has and have outlets throughout, but the battery tools are so good now I don't think that's necessary unless you are running a sandblasting cabinet or other heavy air use.
  9. Random specialized tools... this is just what we have acquired over the years: bench grinder, hydraulic press, sandblast cabinet, parts washer, drill press, bench sander, engine hoists, engine stands, fridge w/freezer (for beer and for freezing parts that are press fit before installing).
  10. Counter/workbench space... another can't have enough. We have some Home Depot style commercial shelving units, we set the lowest level at a good working height, 2 bays wide with 1/4 MDF on top of the wire shelving. We also have 2 different seated work areas for things like rebuilding carbs and soldering work, etc. We also have 2 different rolling toolboxes, one long one that has pretty much everything in it and a small 2x2 one that's great for small projects or tight spaces.
If money were no object, we'd have the running water and drain system, multiple lifts, a half bath, HVAC and a few other odds and ends, but we have it pretty darn nice right now.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Well I just spent a week with my dad doing this to our barn...

1. SPACE... when you think it's big enough add more space, you can never have enough.
  2. POWER... Others have said it, enough is never enough. We did install reels on the ceiling in the middle of the barn too.
  3. LIGHTING... Strip/workspace lighting over workbenches. Don't make the mistake of putting the lights directly over the cars, that doesn't help you when you are detailing or working on the suspension/brakes. We have two rows of cars so we ran three rows of lights, there is still more than enough light on top (understatement, the LED high bays are insanely bright).
  4. LIFT... we haven't got one yet but 2-3 lifts is the dream for the barn
  5. ENTRANCES... put in multiple man doors and if you can garage doors, either across from each other or one on the side. We use all of the doors frequently.
  6. HVAC... we don't have the power and quite frankly don't want to spend the money to condition the barn, but we put in 4 industrial fans to get some moving air during the summer. The kerosene jet heater is sufficient in the winter.
  7. PLUMBING... half bath would be a dream with a utility sink in it. Love to have a spigot and floor drain with the concrete swaled to wash cars inside during winter or just out of the sun during summer.
  8. AIR... we plumbed the barn to hook up the monster compressor my dad has and have outlets throughout, but the battery tools are so good now I don't think that's necessary unless you are running a sandblasting cabinet or other heavy air use.
  9. Random specialized tools... this is just what we have acquired over the years: bench grinder, hydraulic press, sandblast cabinet, parts washer, drill press, bench sander, engine hoists, engine stands, fridge w/freezer (for beer and for freezing parts that are press fit before installing).
  10. Counter/workbench space... another can't have enough. We have some Home Depot style commercial shelving units, we set the lowest level at a good working height, 2 bays wide with 1/4 MDF on top of the wire shelving. We also have 2 different seated work areas for things like rebuilding carbs and soldering work, etc. We also have 2 different rolling toolboxes, one long one that has pretty much everything in it and a small 2x2 one that's great for small projects or tight spaces.
If money were no object, we'd have the running water and drain system, multiple lifts, a half bath, HVAC and a few other odds and ends, but we have it pretty darn nice right now.
Sounds like a Tony Stark garage. :p

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
That noisy air compressor, that you can't move outside the work space.... Frame in, Inside of the frame cover in Mass Loaded Vinyl. Outside cover in normal wood or pegboard.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Sounds like a Tony Stark garage. :p
View attachment 143850
He did say dream garage... we have made some of it a reality and will make some others. We are more in the business of minor restorations, repairs and maintaining our classics. If we had aspirations of painting or welding we would have had different setups but with our limited free time those aren't tasks we want to undertake.

Honestly, I've been working my dad to put a dehumidifier large enough for the barn, that way the cars are all in nice, dry air. But even dehumidifying the air isn't much cheaper than conditioning it apparently.

That noisy air compressor, that you can't move outside the work space.... Frame in, Inside of the frame cover in Mass Loaded Vinyl. Outside cover in normal wood or pegboard.
Yea we have an enclosure designed for it already, the biggest thing is getting the compressor out there then that can be a project for another day.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
Simple answer: @dr bob's garage, from what we keep hearing about it. Wish he'd post pics, :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish you folks were my neighbors.

This is great - it's extremely helpful to see what others are thinking, especially the details.

I was looking around yesterday and found the MaxJax lift. Relatively inexpensive as lifts go, and you can move it out of the way. I'm not sure about the 48" max lift, though.

I hope we get a few more contributions.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I wish you folks were my neighbors.

This is great - it's extremely helpful to see what others are thinking, especially the details.

I was looking around yesterday and found the MaxJax lift. Relatively inexpensive as lifts go, and you can move it out of the way. I'm not sure about the 48" max lift, though.

I hope we get a few more contributions.
Why do these 2 post lifts scare me?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
Why do these 2 post lifts scare me?
Was thinking the same thing, and hoping that guy hasn't been late on any of his life insurance premiums lately.

Here’s my personal setup. I’ve replaced everything on my pilot on it including the head gaskets. Full ceiling heaters. 20ft ceilings. Plumbing, shower, floor drains. 2nd floor loft, 60 gallon air, compressor, led lighting etc. 70 x 50ft shop
View attachment 143879

OK, this year I'll try to be nice, not naughty, OK, Santa? Christmas Countdown!

·
Read Only
293 Posts
A little max max lift wouldn’t really give you many gains. A full size lift gives you the ability to stand up fully and reach. This little lift would make reaching so awkward. You’re in a very awkward position and if you have the ceiling height just go with a full size one. Price wise it’s probably super close.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Page 640. I never took the time to go to page 640 to find out that Honda does not require synthetic oil. My opinion, this is how dealers can get away with using blended or full fossil oil verses always using synthetic. After all, if Honda required full synthetic oil then there is no ethical way Honda dealers could use anything but full synthetic.

Recommended Engine Oil Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient temperature) as shown in the image that follows. Oil is a major contributor to your engine’s performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged. *1:Formulated to improve fuel economy. ■ Synthetic oil You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade. Genuine Engine Oil Commercial Engine Oil ● Honda Genuine Motor Oil ● Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container. 1Recommended Engine Oil Engine Oil Additives Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact, they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability. The following seal indicates the oil is energy conserving and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest

1 - 18 of 18 Posts