Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Kids recently report CEL and TSC light are on... I checked and confirmed both with the Oreilly folk... Note that there are stored code,P301,302, and 303 codes.

current mileage is 139k.
TB is replaced @ 120k.
all plugs replace @ 100k .
Engine oil change every 10k with M1 syn.
Tranny fluid - flushed every 50k

Do you think this is legit sparkplug , or wire, or the dreadful recall with engine/tranny issue?

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
What is most notable is that it is the back 3 cylinders having misfires. This can be indicative of the timing belt being off a tooth or two on the back cam. How does it idle?
Other things I would do to try and correct a poor running engine...
  1. Disable the VCM. I use S-VCM. This will keep all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time.
  2. Air filter New/Clean installed correctly, box sealed. (No K&N, let's to much dirt in.)
  3. Air intake tube leak/crack free, clamps tight.
  4. Inspect throttle body for any debris.
  5. Clean the Mass Airflow sensor (MAF), unplug/remove, using CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner, spray a few short bursts directly into the electrodes to remove dust particles (no soaking), let dry completely before re-installing.
  6. Replace PCV valve
  7. Spark plugs New/Clean, NGK Laser Iridiums is best. No cheap substitutes, can cause misfires.
  8. No oil leaking into spark plug tubes. Replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals if oil is found.
  9. Replace EGR valve (High milage with unexplained rough idle, do last if unresolved)
  10. Use a full synthetic 0w20 oil. No semi blends or Extended Performance oils.
  11. Use a top tier 87 octane gasoline or use injector cleaner regularly.
  12. City drivers, after the above maintenance, take the vehicle on some long highway speed drives.
A valve adjustment may be neccessary, especially if there is obvious valve clatter.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You’re going to remove spark plug #3 and inspect.
This^^ Look at all of the plugs. If you have oil fouling or coking on any of those relatively new plugs, dig deeper. The suggestions from Nail Grease are targeted at minimizing further damage from the VCM system. Do everything on that list, with the VCM disabling most critical. While you wait for the parts to arrive, pull the two belt covers over the cam sprockets and verify that the cams are timed correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those chime-in... I take time to inspect all plugs ( NGK-Iradium ... ~30k) and they are as clean as they can be.
It has been disappointing since I take good care of this ( M-1 sync oil, factory tranny fluid,) , and the VCM mechanism seems to bite all of us... hard.

I will start down the list once I have more time to unravel things ( Nail Grease list ) .

EV-

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
It's easier to see the rear cam timing mark if you take loose the throttle linkage assembly. Just unplug the electrical connection, and remove the bracket mounting bolts then lay the assembly over the top of the engine. Doing so allows you to have a straight on view of the timing marks.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive battery Gas

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Many months ago I think my front tires slipped a bit (FWD 08 SE) on wet streets.
When my 08 was running fine, but threw every cylinder code about 6 months ago, I was worried.

But it was running fine.

So I unhooked the battery, hooked it back up, no codes since!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts