Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '08 has about 155k miles on it and its been rattling in the front for a bit now but I've really been just ignoring it. Now that the good weather is going to start rolling in I want to troubleshoot and get this fixed.

The rattling only happens around the 1800 RPM mark and I'm pretty sure its the same thing that happened with my '05 Pilot. The very front catalytic converter heat shield started rusting off and that's when it developed the rattle. I reached up while underneath the vehicle and bent twisted the shield until it broke off and voila! no more rattle.

I briefly took a look under this '08 and it looks like the cat's have a different setup that are not as easy go get to? Has anyone else had this rattle before? What did you do to fix it?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
My '08 has about 155k miles on it and its been rattling in the front for a bit now but I've really been just ignoring it. Now that the good weather is going to start rolling in I want to troubleshoot and get this fixed.

The rattling only happens around the 1800 RPM mark and I'm pretty sure its the same thing that happened with my '05 Pilot. The very front catalytic converter heat shield started rusting off and that's when it developed the rattle. I reached up while underneath the vehicle and bent twisted the shield until it broke off and voila! no more rattle.

I briefly took a look under this '08 and it looks like the cat's have a different setup that are not as easy go get to? Has anyone else had this rattle before? What did you do to fix it?
If the rattling is from the heat shield I have used a large stainless worm drive clamp tightened at moderate tension. This has “fixed” the heat shield rattling on a few vehicles of mine semi-permanently or until the offending piece falls off.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
+1

Let Eric the Car Guy be your guide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had a rattle in the hood at low rpm’s in my 2004 Pilot EX. It only ever happened when I was driving light on the throttle, it was always approx in the 1500 rpm range, (over 1k but under 2) when coasting 20-50 mph. I had a look, & found that my air intake would rattle and that was causing the noise.

I Changed the air filter and it happens a lot less, but the intake would still occasionally rattle at low rpm. Weird. Throttle body issue maybe?

Well, it turns out I was driving it too gently LOL. First time I’ve had that problem. I was stepping on the accelerator so lightly that the circuit wouldn’t be fully engaged, like a light switch when you hold it between on and off. This made my air intake flicker that same way, causing a rattle from disturbing all that air flow. Try using cruise control, changing your air filter or using more throttle less often and let me know how that goes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts