Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a Pilot owner yet but should be by next Thursday. I'm already considering adding Side Steps or Running Boards to improve accessibility for small children. I was wondering if anyone knows of any drawbacks to adding either of those accessories (i.e. reduction in gas mileage or increased noise in the cabin due to change in aerodynamics). I'm guessing any such effects would be negligible.
Thanks,
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Before purchasing mine, I test drove a vehicle with the Honda running boards. As I live in the Northwest rain and road grime is frequently an issue from October till June. I found that my pant leg seems to always hit the running boards if I tried to get out and directly step onto the ground. I'm 6'1" so I've never desperately needed them to get into a vehicle (although they did come in handy for washing the roof on my Expedition). If you're wearing jeans or living in a dry climate it's probably not a big deal and I do think they look nice, but if you live in a wet climate and/or like to wear khaki pants I'd think twice. I'll be curious if others find this to be an issue.

Make sure you search the board for possible prior posts on this topic.
Here's one I found:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=528&highlight=running+board
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
bmalohn said:
I'm not a Pilot owner yet but should be by next Thursday. I'm already considering adding Side Steps or Running Boards to improve accessibility for small children. I was wondering if anyone knows of any drawbacks to adding either of those accessories (i.e. reduction in gas mileage or increased noise in the cabin due to change in aerodynamics). I'm guessing any such effects would be negligible.
Thanks,
Bill
no problem with my running boards, had them put on about a month ago, and my kids are happy. (my 75 year old mother in law is also pleased.) I have not noticed a change in wind noise or decreased mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I've got the side steps and love 'em. It really makes it easy for kids to get in.

The downside is that it's a little far if you decide to step over them. You end up getting the back of your pants dirty evey once in a while.

If you decide to get them, consider installing them yourself. Honda makes it really easy to install most options and it's a lot cheaper if you get parts off the web (see hondacuraworld.com )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Congrats bmalohn.

No problems on my end with our running boards. They are a big help when washing the roof area above the windshield.

We actually chose the tubular steps... thinking it would make the Pilot more sporty and less van-like. When we arrived at the dealer, they had the more expensive running boards installed. I put up a fit about my Pilot looking like a van, but I caved because I couldn't wait... plus they threw in the rear guards for my troubles.

Anyway, some advice... whatever you decide, make sure you spell out exactly what you want... tubular side steps or running boards.

By the way, does anyone know if the mounts for running boards and tubular rails are interchangable? I was concerned that if they were swapped, the old mounting holes in the frame would be exposed to the elements. That thought also contributed to my caving in so easily ... no service guys were in the house when we purchased late at nite. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Welcome to the family, bmalohn.

We have the boards, and love them. The problem with the side-steps, IMO, was that they have bulges in front of the doors where they expect you to step. My 5 yr old is not likely to always want to climb up in that spot, and I wanted to have better coverage to reach the roof rack along the length of the car. So, we went with the running boards. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

--Bret

P.S. I think that the running boards look great with the rear mud guards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
bret11 said:
P.S. I think that the running boards look great with the rear mud guards.
I'll have to second that. I'm loving my boards now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I'm actually leaning towards the side steps because i like the way they look (personal preference i guess). I plan to install them myself since it looks relatively easy.

rtresco:
Judging from the installation instructions for the side steps and running boards, the holes in the frame, the mounting brackets and the bolts appear to be the same.

Thanks again,
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
bmalohn said:
Judging from the installation instructions for the side steps and running boards, the holes in the frame, the mounting brackets and the bolts appear to be the same.
Thanks for the info, Bill. Good luck with your purchase.

-- Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Side Steps

I have the side steps. Not only do they improve the overall appearance of the vehicle, they're great for kicking snow, sand, or mud of your shoes in bad weather. My wife (she's 5'0") and I don't generally use them to step in or out, and they don't get in the way. But I'm 6'2" and I need them to wash the roof or reach the roof rack.

Two reasons I like side steps over running boards:
  1. Running boards look farty. Side steps look cool. JMHO
  2. Running boards are flat w/grooves so sand and grit tend to collect on them. Side steps are round with space between the body, so grit just runs off.
    [/list=1]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
fyyzer said:
I found that my pant leg seems to always hit the running boards if I tried to get out and directly step onto the ground.
This is so true. When I get out of car, I always step on ground directly. Therefore my leg would touch my side step. That's isn't a problem untill you decide to wear white pants.
So clear them often, and step on steps when rain.:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
My experience is that the steps collect lots of mud. We live on a gravel road and alot of what gets thrown up goes between the steps and the body, then collects on the top of the steps. I still prefer the look of the steps over the running boards though.

Whichever you decide to get, I would stick with what Honda offers. I've seen quite a few of the aftermarket ones for trucks where the brackets are basically angle iron with perforated holes, similar to the stuff that holds up garage door tracks. You sort of cut it and bolt it together to get it to work with your particular vehicle. They look fine until you take a look underneath. Real cheesy IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I had Manik polished stainless steel side steps installed on my (silver) Pilot. I think they look great...just jazzed up the overall appearance of the exterior. And there's nothing cheezy in the way they're made (including the support brackets). In fact if you go with quality aftermarket stuff, it's generally as good as or better than Honda's, IMHO.

I did it mostly for appearance, but I've actually been surprised at how useful they are. Using the step for that first step in or out of the vehicle makes it easier, to me.

One note -- if you would happen to decide to go the route of "chrome-looking" side steps, make sure you get polished stainless, not chrome. More expensive, but chrome will chip and rust.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
NHPilot said:
My experience is that the steps collect lots of mud. We live on a gravel road and alot of what gets thrown up goes between the steps and the body, then collects on the top of the steps. I still prefer the look of the steps over the running boards though.

Whichever you decide to get, I would stick with what Honda offers. I've seen quite a few of the aftermarket ones for trucks where the brackets are basically angle iron with perforated holes, similar to the stuff that holds up garage door tracks. You sort of cut it and bolt it together to get it to work with your particular vehicle. They look fine until you take a look underneath. Real cheesy IMO.
Westin has pretty good brackets just like Honda ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
bmalohn: Be the first to install a running board on the left side and a side step on the right side... ;)

              Or vice-versa...

:2: :2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
bmalohn said:
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I'm actually leaning towards the side steps because i like the way they look (personal preference i guess). I plan to install them myself since it looks relatively easy.



bmalohn, i agree with you, I like the looks of the side steps much more than that of the running boards. The side steps look more rugged while the running boards give the Pilot more of a van appearance IMO.

Installation is very easy with the side steps, should take less than 2 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
We adore & need (for our 5yo) our running boards (Honda, came w/ them).

The only disadvantage was when we off-roaded (1st AND LAST time) the brackets became a little bent as they were the lowest thing underneath the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
NHPilot said:
My experience is that the steps collect lots of mud. We live on a gravel road and alot of what gets thrown up goes between the steps and the body, then collects on the top of the steps. I still prefer the look of the steps over the running boards though.

As krygny said earlier, the running boards also tend to stay dirty-looking, since mud splashes don't run off of them very well.

BUT, we still prefer the boards over the steps from both a looks and utility standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great idea kemosabe. I think i'll need a partner though, since i'll have to purchase a set of boards and a set of steps. I wouldn't want to waste a perfectly good board and step. Anyone else want to be a pioneer???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Jacking up the pilot

Question with the running board, with it installed, does it cover up the floor jack mount plate to lift the Pilot if I need to have it jacked up?? TIA
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top