Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed the past couple of days that when I slow down to a light it seems like the car is downshifting through the gears as I slow down.
I notice it because I feel a very slight jerk and can see the RPMs go up and then back down similar to if you downshifted on a manual transmission.
Is this normal and I just never really noticed it? Or is my transmission giving me another sign it is old and tired. Thanks!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would say yes and yes. It's probably normal, and your transmission is getting old and tired. If you keep up on maintenance, you will maximize the remaining life of your transmission. Nothing lasts forever, but fresh ATF when needed can stretch things out.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say yes and yes. It's probably normal, and your transmission is getting old and tired. If you keep up on maintenance, you will maximize the remaining life of your transmission. Nothing lasts forever, but fresh ATF when needed can stretch things out.
Ok. I’ve been doing drain and fills every 10,000 miles or so. So I shouldn’t worry about it at this point then?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
Sounds like you’re doing all you can to keep that tranny working. 10k mile drain and fills is the least spaced interval I’ve seen mentioned on this forum.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you’re doing all you can to keep that tranny working. 10k mile drain and fills is the least spaced interval I’ve seen mentioned on this forum.
Well I should say I bought the car 30k miles ago and I was trying to get 100% fresh fluid so I did a bunch but in the future I’ll probably do every 15k (1x/year) or so.
The transmission shifts fine it’s just that weird downshift situation. I suppose it could have something to do with grade logic or maybe the motor mounts?
I’m not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
@Jack Vogt You've done what I did. When I first got my 2006 in 2015, I started by doing Valvoline MaxLife ATF drain & fills with every first three oil changes, and now with every second oil change. Like @STMech said, nothing lasts forever, and "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long," but I believe this helps give it what Roy asks for (in the clean version of Blade Runner)...

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
🤐

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts