Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this listed as a "problem" several times both here and in CR-V discussions.
From what I can tell after putting 15000 miles on the CR-V and 4000 miles on the Pilot is that Honda has designed the top gear to do what a true "Overdrive" gear should do; Maintain highway speed on level roads.
Both cars do exactly the same thing. Almost any incline or atempt to increase speed with first cause the torque converter to un-lock, then a one gear downshift.

Is there a problem that people are finding besides this (what I would call normal) type of opperation?

·
Registered
199 Posts
N_Jay

While I have labeled this the "down shift virus" in other threads, I really do not think that anything is wrong with our vehicles relating to how Honda intended it to operate. I do think this should have been a little more "engineered" by Honda. My previous 2002 Trailblazer would only downshift in really traumatic situations and cruised at 1900 rpm. The Chevy Impala that Honda has provided me as a rental while the field engineer looks at my vehicle, certainly does not do it. No gasket scrunch or suspension noises either by the way. I personally believe that our vehicles should have had a slight gear change to help the engine overcome the increased wind resistance of the Pilot over the MDX. Also, the MDX is receiving a more powerful engine soon. I also believe there was a serious omission in not giving us the ability to designate fourth gear for cruising and pulling. I am OK with the first downshift, but the second one that sends the RPM's to 3000 is irritating and increases fuel consumption. Pushing the A/C button on hills helps as the parasitic loss from the compressor is eliminated. All of us hope transmission life will not be affected. Good luck - BP

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
down shift

These is onbly one shift.
The first RPM increase is the torque converter unlocking.
The shift to 4th takes the engine to about 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One thing all pilots (don't know about other recent Hondas) need is the OverDrive cut off switch. I hate to smash or be aggressive with the accelerator pedal (never a fan of pedal to the metal culture) when trying to pass a slower car. With a cutoff switch engaged, just give a little gas to go around a slower car--my style of driving. Is there a way, one could force the tranny to stay in 4th?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they dont want you driving in 4th?

They gave you a "D3" setting for when you REALY need to use it, and "D" setting for when you don't.
Maybe they know specifically don't want people driving around in "D4" for a good reason?
Could be for durability? Could be not to get them in trouble with the CAFE people? Could be just to piss you off :2:
We, the consumers may never know.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Grade logic control

Hondas have something called "Grade Logic Control". When going uphill/downhill, the transmission will downshift allowing the vehicle to accelerate to the top or slow on the downhill. This is engineered to prevent gear hopping you will find in many vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts