Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2014 Honda Pilot EX-L (50K miles)is always shifting down the 5th into the 4th gear at 50 miles an h. Is that normal or there’s something wrong? The Scanner doesn’t show any errors or codes. Could it also be how the previous owner was driving? Thanks

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
You could disconnect the battery for a bit and reconnect, see if it helps.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Look up Honda Grade Logic. It senses if you’re going down a hill and will sometimes downshift to utilize engine braking. I notice if I’m driving around 50-55mph and start coast down a hill, depending on how steep it is, the car will downshift into 4th.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Is it happening on downhills with cruise engaged? I've decided that the cruise logic will force that downshift if cruise is active and actual speed exceeds set speed by much. I did a little project that required a couple weeks of traveling over the Grapevine from the L.A. area, and had a chance to repeat the effect a few times before deciding to just disengage the CC on the long downhill rather than "enjoy" the unneeded down-shifting. Same place I figured out that a lot of the shifting and throttle-manipulation that caused it was related to the VCM system dropping cylinders; disabling the VCM system with the VCMuzzler helped a lot with both symptoms.

Still got VCM? Disable it with any of the several available options. There's a slew of other benefits available with it disabled beyond the drivability issues; the engine and transmission will last a lot longer, for example. Save on Dramamine...

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
910 Posts
++ for disabling VCM. On road trips, especially when loaded up with passengers and cargo, and the A/C is working hard, I use 89 or 91 octane fuel as it noticeably reduces transmission busyness on interstate grades and hills; The owners manual alludes to this, in the context of towing. I've not tried 93 octane, as it is not generally available in NTX.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
I agree with @dr bob , I'd disable the VCM. This will keep your engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It will help with reducing the wear and tear on your transmission and end many engine related issues.
I use S-VCM because it doesn't require manually changing out the resistors. The other popular one is VCM Tuner II.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
So I did a little flat-ground testing/observating, and decided that the no-throttle downshift/unlock from gear 5 locked happens pretty consistently around 35MPH. This is with VCM not active, no AC load, ambient temp around 45ºF. Throttle pressure/load moves that MPH number higher obviously. I 175# driver, full tank with regular grade, flat ground at 3700' altitude. Did it in both directions on the same road to zero out incline and wind factors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts