Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the 3rd Gen Pilots with AWD don't have VCM. Is this true?

·
Registered
128 Posts
For good or bad, Honda's all in on VCM 🥺.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Does a Wild Bear Crap in the Woods?

I used to just say 'does a Bear'....

and I had a witty girlfriend once who replied:
'not if they live in the zoo.

so now my phrase is 'wild bear'... LOL

Reactions: aggrex

·
Read Only
187 Posts
The VCM bashers are the vultures of this board!!:devilish::devilish: I guess they created a globally successful car company and are keeping us in suspense.. Go ahead and buy a Tesla, with the lowest customer satisfaction and reliability rating there are, or just stop your whining already.😪 or even better tell us about all the engines you designed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The VCM bashers are the vultures of this board!!:devilish::devilish: I guess they created a globally successful car company and are keeping us in suspense.. Go ahead and buy a Tesla, with the lowest customer satisfaction and reliability rating there are, or just stop your whining already.😪 or even better tell us about all the engines you designed.
Glad you're not concerned about it. For those that are interested in other peoples experiences, feel free to visit any Accord V-6, Pilot, Odyssey, or Ridgeline forum and see the VCM-related problems. How many TSBs or class action lawsuits will it take for you to believe VCM is generally no good for the consumer?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Jeff, if I didn't know better, (and I don't), I'd think you were a troll from Corporate Honda trying to save face for Honda.

I was a nay sayer big time- especially when my 08 FWD w/ VCM1- It only goes to 3 cylinders off was running I thought fine at 187K miles. I researched it more for weeks, and had my arm twisted and bought one for each of my Pilots.
Did you see my thread on it?

I'm a good mechanic, and a gear head, and DIY'er

This works well.

And btw- in response to some of your other posts- it DOES allow you to monitor when it's getting hot and too hot, before you'd have damage/failure.
You mentioned instances when someone overheated b/c their Anti-VCM deivce kept them form knowing about it?
As far as the SVCM- show me the link or paste just one verified post about that please.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's my opinion that things like VCM and Auto Stop/Start are a result of EPA regulations. Auto manufactures all need to meet or exceed EPA requirements for emissions, fuel economy, etc. If they don't, they are fined. Pretty sure I read about this but can't find the info at the moment to share.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I have a question. If I install say the S-VCM controller how do I know if it is working and how do I know if it has failed? Does it cause a code that will show on a OBD-II reader if it fails. I am just trying to get information so I will know more before installing. I have no problem killing the VCM. My 2020 EX-L
hasn’t shown any systems of VCM shutting down or starting back up. Thanks for the schooling on VCM guys.

·
Registered
270 Posts
OK, I have a question. If I install say the S-VCM controller how do I know if it is working and how do I know if it has failed? Does it cause a code that will show on a OBD-II reader if it fails. I am just trying to get information so I will know more before installing. I have no problem killing the VCM. My 2020 EX-L
hasn’t shown any systems of VCM shutting down or starting back up. Thanks for the schooling on VCM guys.
You could use an OBDII scanner that's able to view real-time data and monitor coolant temp to make sure it's less than 167. Or you could use a ScanGauge and program it to monitor VCM. Lots of info about that in this thread - VCM Mode Indication?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One more question. Does the ECON button shut down cylinder like the VCM at anytime is in use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts