Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that the silver trim piece in the driver's door handle is peeling. It's the black marks near the black handle, toward the center of the picture below.

I intend to see if the dealer will replace it under warranty, but if not, I may buy the piece and install it myself, with help from the forum. Or, I may just order a wood or aluminum dash kit and fix the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a distance shot just for perspective. You can barely see it in this photo, but it's there.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Does Honda make a touch-up paint for our silver panels?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I have some wear of the silver on the steering wheel trim.
It does seem that the finish is a bit to delicate for surfaces that are touched often.
I am going to point it out to the Dealer and see what reaction I get.
It is minor but anoying, as I would expect to see this type or wear on a 5 years old car not a one year old one.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChuckW said:
Not that I'm aware of. I had a problem with the dash silver trim early on, and had to order a replacement piece. My right knee usually rests against the left-most silver dash trim.

The paint literally started sluffing off, like peeling skin, as a result of the sunscreen I was using touching the paint. I make sure I either have a clean right knee or long pants on to prevent that problem from happening again.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
N_Jay, I agree. I would expect this type of wear after several years, but 13 months, especially as obsessive/complusive careful as I am with the vehicle, is too soon for this to be happening.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Similar problem

I've experienced the same problem with the wear and I have only 2,500 miles with 6-months of ownership. Fortunately, the wood trim kit covers the wear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jay --
In reference to the paint wearing off -- do you wear a wristwatch that could be rubbing, or scratching against the side while you drive? Other than that, I can't think of what would cause it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Silver trim?

I thought all that stuff was real metal. :19:

I didn't know that sunscreen was a solvent. Apparently, neither does Honda. Another interior surface that doesn't hold up. I can always just rationalize - "Oh well, nothing lasts forever.".

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cajun Pilot said:
Jay --
In reference to the paint wearing off -- do you wear a wristwatch that could be rubbing, or scratching against the side while you drive? Other than that, I can't think of what would cause it.
No jewelry of any kind. The roughest thing that might touch that area is a knuckle on the finger of my left hand.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Doesn't matter if you wear a watch or something else, the panel don't suppose to peel at all at this early age, at least for two years, I believe. I have the same peeling problem as JAY a little to the right, but always I forgot to tell the dealer about. Anybody already contact the dealer about it?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
update us on your experinces with dealers...

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ramirami said:
update us on your experinces with dealers...
I stopped by the dealer today, and the service manager agreed to replace that piece. He did give me a spiel about Honda's position on these items, and that Honda would consider this and the nicks on the pillars wear and tear instead of a warrantable item.

But he recognized that I'm a long-time customer, that I keep the vehicle well cared for inside and out, so he's replacing that handle trim. I did mention to him that the biggest complaints are the nicks in the pillars, saggy leather, and less than durable interior plastic.

I sprayed some Stoners Trim Shine on the pillars then wiped the pillars down the next day (over a week ago) and the nicks are still less noticeable than they were before.

·
Registered
602 Posts
nicks in pillars

Does anyone have pictures of the nicks in the pillars?

·
Registered
483 Posts
jay said:
Today I noticed that the silver trim piece in the driver's door handle is peeling. It's the black marks near the black handle, toward the center of the picture below.

I intend to see if the dealer will replace it under warranty, but if not, I may buy the piece and install it myself, with help from the forum. Or, I may just order a wood or aluminum dash kit and fix the problem.
Thats a definate warranty complaint, that shouldn't be a problem for you at all getting that replaced. The only problem that I can see is that the replacement part will be the same thing as you already have, meaning you will most likely have the same issues again later on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ChuckW said:
Touch-up paint would only make this look worse, it would be impossible to touch up that finish and make it look good.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the dealer do the 18,750 mile oil change today, and they replaced the door trim under warranty. I guess I'm good to go for another 13 and a half months.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I had this problem with a VW (and I was talking about it with the honda service guy) they frequently blame your use of handcream. I showed my obviously never moisturized hands, but then they said I must have been using some nonapproved cleaning item like amorall or the like. Which, of course I do not. So, to make the best case, never use handcream or sunscreen on your hands...and use only honda cleaning products?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
clarity said:
When I had this problem with a VW (and I was talking about it with the honda service guy) they frequently blame your use of handcream. I showed my obviously never moisturized hands, but then they said I must have been using some nonapproved cleaning item like amorall or the like. Which, of course I do not. So, to make the best case, never use handcream or sunscreen on your hands...and use only honda cleaning products?
I agree with the sunscreen issue. I posted in another thread how the silver console trim by the A/C control sluffed off paint after I'd used sunscreen and then my knee touched that trim piece. I had to pick up the tab on that one, but all 4 silver trim pieces around the console are less than $20 total. I discovered at the time that rubbing alcohol is a great paint remover, and the natural gray under the paint looks ok around the console.

In my discussion with the service manager about the handle trim, I mentioned how the roughest thing that's touched that part of the handle is my knuckle, and I'm certain it wasn't a handcream or sunscreen issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Time to bump this thread....

We also now (after 12 months) have some peeling/scratched paint on the silver piece of the driver's side armrest. Anyone have success with dealer fixing this? We are careful people and this just drives me nuts. :3:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts