Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York City and its five boroughs are experiencing a little heat wave with temps above 90. Today (Sunday the 6th), I entered my Pilot and shut the door and heard something fall between the door and the driver's seat. I reopened the door and found my door panel light cover on the floor. It seems that one of the prongs broke off. I am a weight lifter by hobby and thought that I may have been a little heavy handed when I closed the door....BUT!!.... Sunday is the day I pick up my Grandfather (89 Years old) and take him shopping. Upon exiting the super market, he closed his passenger door and I heard the "plastic falling on plastic" noise again. My passenger side door panel light cover fell of as well, less then an hour after my driver's side light cover dropped off. Now I knew It was not my heavy handed-ness if my 89 year old Grandfather did the same thing. The passenger side still had the single prong semi attached, but it seemed to have MELTED!! I am going to my service tech in the morning to report this problem and to talk about that pulley replacement for the AC that is causing that loud clunk that I had read in another thread. I love this site! I have had my White EX-L since October and love it as well.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Have you changed the bulbs or done any other modifications to teh door pannels?
Seems odd, as we have Pilot owners in Pheonix and Los Vegas without probelms, and you had both sides.

(not saying it was something you did, just saying it's "odd")

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door Panel Light Covers

Zero modifications...Pilot is "as is" since picking it up. I'm not that handy and would never trust myself to try on a new car anyway. Very odd! I am very interested to hear from Pilot owners from warmer, year-round climes like yourself. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Door Panel Covers

Yikes, sorry N_Jay, I guess I should have checked to see where you were from...Chicago, definitely not warm year round.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Door Panel Light Covers...

...were replaced by the dealer under warranty. They asked if I tried to make any modifications and I told them that I was as technical as a two-by-four. Service Tech actually stated that the light covers may be in a bad place...ie. door closure and heat combo may have placed too much stress on the center prong causing them to crack. I just found it odd that both went within an hour of each other.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happened Again

On Friday night, my wife and I decided to make a late night run for Ralph's Ices (those of you from NYC or Central NJ may know what I am talking about). My 115 pound wife closes the passenger door and the door panel courtesy light cover falls out. The single prong broke again. Could be due to a combination of the heat and the stress of closing the door due to the placement of the cover.

Matty and Gino at Honda of Staten Island Service Dept are the tops. I have only been there a few times for service visits and two issues including the light cover in the last year and they know me by name (a big deal if anyone is familiar with Customer Relationship Management). I called them at noon Saturday expecting that an order would need to be placed for the part. They said that they would indeed need to order the part. An hour later while I was in the gym (working off that ice), Gino calls stating that he has a passenger side light cover and another hour later I have the replacement (it was still in the sealed bag, so they did not take it from a Pilot on the lot).

They were ultra concerned a few weeks after I picked up my taffeta white Pilot last October when the emergency brake started to freeze up. Matty would not let me leave until the brake was fixed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mattlehrer said:
My drivers side light cover fell off just last week, I just superglued the prong back on and slapped it back in the door...

All three of mine were covered under warranty. Did you try to get the dealer to give you a new one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Within a week both of my door panel light covers have popped off, the single-side prong breaking in both cases. Had just driven out to the dealer (45 min trip) to get one replaced while getting my 30k checkup. Now 2 days later the other is broken. I'm down in Alabama but I doubt the weather has contributed this early in the year. I thought perhaps the kids could have kicked them but to hear other folks experiencing the same thing makes me wonder...

Anyone know a good online parts store that would stock something like that? I tried a couple of sites that came up in google and even though I have the part number (I think) , I couldnt find it. I'd rather order if its cheap than drive out to the dealer again.

thanks,
jg

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
jgee66 said:
Within a week both of my door panel light covers have popped off, the single-side prong breaking in both cases. Had just driven out to the dealer (45 min trip) to get one replaced while getting my 30k checkup. Now 2 days later the other is broken. I'm down in Alabama but I doubt the weather has contributed this early in the year. I thought perhaps the kids could have kicked them but to hear other folks experiencing the same thing makes me wonder...

Anyone know a good online parts store that would stock something like that? I tried a couple of sites that came up in google and even though I have the part number (I think) , I couldnt find it. I'd rather order if its cheap than drive out to the dealer again.

thanks,
jg
Tim at hondacuraworld might be able to help you, or try here. It appears to be illustration no. 3 in the drawing.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It Happened Again!!!!

....Passenger side door light cover popped off this weekend. Am I going to have to replace these things every summer???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts