Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Piloteers-

Can anyone tell me if the door guards are standard on the Pilot? If you don't know what I'm referring to, it's a small strip of rubber that runs along side the door jambs. I happened to see one today without it and it got me wondering. They are nice to have, but I think they take away from the clean lines that the Pilot has.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I didn't have it. Bought a set from pepboy and put it on myself. It's easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Timchen-

Thanks for the info. My Pilot came with them, but the funny thing is, the dealer didn't charge anything extra!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Over the long run, they just tear up the paint on the edge of the door anyway. Creates another place for grit and grime to get trapped.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
300800 said:
Hey Timchen-

Thanks for the info. My Pilot came with them, but the funny thing is, the dealer didn't charge anything extra!
One of the MD dealers (last summer) offered them as part of their appearance package that also included pin-striping and other things... Ah yes, the good old days -- when some dealers forced that kind of stuff on you (it was already on the vehicle) AND charged a markup fee of up to $4K above MSRP... :(

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It's a little difficult to see in the picture, but there is a clear door edge guard on my Pilot. It is a 14 mil thick polyurethane protective tape made by 3M, similar to the material used for the clear bra. The clear tape does not take away from the clean lines as mentioned by 300800.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wow Wwong.

You're entire Pilot must be covered by 3M. Inside and out.

What are the long term effects? Will the color change over the years?

·
Registered
11 Posts
kemosabe said:

One of the MD dealers (last summer) offered them as part of their appearance package that also included pin-striping and other things... Ah yes, the good old days -- when some dealers forced that kind of stuff on you (it was already on the vehicle) AND charged a markup fee of up to $4K above MSRP... :(

If it's the same MD dealer that I bought from last month, they are still offering the "appearance package" as part of their "deal". This time it was: "We'll throw in the appearance package and protection package if you'll pay MSRP." The appearance package was valued by the dealer at $275 for door edge guards and a pin-stripe warranteed for the life of the vehicle.

As for the dealer installed options, I paid up-front (salesman said they don't like to put on options if you may not take the car), and had them installed the next day. Then the dealership delivered my Pilot to my office.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You're entire Pilot must be covered by 3M. Inside and out.

What are the long term effects? Will the color change over the years?

The 3M protective tape is UV resistant so it will not yellow over time. The tape is similar to the one on the Pilot already that is on the lower corner of the passenger door.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I did notice the last time that I washed my Pilot that the factory clear tape pieces that are on the lower panels just in front of the rear wheels have already faded to a yellowish color. I only notice those when I was the car, though.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The factory tape on the corner of the passenger door is probably not a 3M product and not UV resistant or the wrong 3M product was specified.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts