Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news is I didn’t lose the new crush washer this time. Bad (not terrible news) is I left the car lifted on the front central jack point and drained the oil. I confused my oil change and gear oil (not the fluid) but the fact that it’s good to stay on a tilt backwards for the gear oil and I never dropped the car to level to get all the oil out. I realized this after putting in 5 quarts and pouring out the old drained fluid into the empty first jug before starting on the 2nd 5 quart jug. When I finished pouring my old oil into the used jug and I filled exactly 5 quarts of old oil I realized oops where’s the rest?

Luckily I didn’t start pouring the 2nd 5 quart jug into the engine yet (only used that jug to pre-fill the oil filter). So the way I look at it I’ve got 5 new quarts in the car and about 0.3 new quarts from pre-filling the oil filter and some old 0.4 quart of oil or so. Could be worse I guess.

Long story short don’t be lazy like me.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Good news is I didn’t lose the new crush washer this time. Bad (not terrible news) is I left the car lifted on the front central jack point and drained the oil. I confused my oil change and gear oil (not the fluid) but the fact that it’s good to stay on a tilt backwards for the gear oil and I never dropped the car to level to get all the oil out. I realized this after putting in 5 quarts and pouring out the old drained fluid into the empty first jug before starting on the 2nd 5 quart jug. When I finished pouring my old oil into the used jug and I filled exactly 5 quarts of old oil I realized oops where’s the rest?

Luckily I didn’t start pouring the 2nd 5 quart jug into the engine yet (only used that jug to pre-fill the oil filter). So the way I look at it I’ve got 5 new quarts in the car and about 0.3 new quarts from pre-filling the oil filter and some old 0.4 quart of oil or so. Could be worse I guess.

Long story short don’t be lazy like me.
On level ground, Maybe pour in a quart or 2 of engine oil with the oil plug removed in hopes of flushing out the stuff that's not supposed to be in there? Then the 5.7 quarts of 0w20 should delute the rest.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm only at 40% on the MM right now so I'm going to leave it as is. I'll change it again around Thanksgiving like usual (for me). I'm not concerned and I think opening the drain bolt again I'd never seal it back up nice and tidy nor would I know if the crush washer would be okay to reuse and retighten.

·
Registered
252 Posts
bump. It has been over a year since I changed my oil (thanks covid) and plan on changing it tomorrow. MM is currently at 30%. My dilemma is, do I reset the counter after doing it? While it is "early," it is close to the prompt of needing a change from the MM.

·
Registered
438 Posts
bump. It has been over a year since I changed my oil (thanks covid) and plan on changing it tomorrow. MM is currently at 30%. My dilemma is, do I reset the counter after doing it? While it is "early," it is close to the prompt of needing a change from the MM.
If you plan to rely on MM for your maintenance schedule, then do NOT reset it until you hit the 15% warning. Change your oil whenever, but if you reset the system early it throws off later notifications.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I'd change the oil a write milage down. I'd wait and reset MM when it says past due.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a week past Thanksgiving. Have you done the oil change, yet?
Good question. I was planning on doing the oil change but I had shoulder surgery at the end of September for my rotator cuff so I am out of commission in terms of getting underneath the vehicle. I am considering sucking out the oil with my extractor though and just leaving the filter in place until my next oil change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts