Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys quick question. This is my first time posting something and as the topic is the dome lights I was wondering if any one knows the bulb name and or size that corresponds to the lights inside the car. I have a 2005 Pilot and I cannot find the size or bulb size anywhere. I'm not sure if I'm looking for the wrong thing or what but if I could get some help that would be awesome. I'm asking because I have two interior lights out that I just noticed today. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
60 Posts
According to kbcarstuff.com the interior dome lights should be "194"
Heres a screenshot of the website. You can search any vehicle and find out what size bulb fit . ImageUploadedByAG Free1416594272.593836.jpg

2014 Pilot LX

California

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered the switches from mouser and installed today. The lights work as normal now. Both switches were bad. The only difference is that the new switches do no, "click" when pressed. No complaints though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 Pilot has same issue with the Map light with this exception. The passenger light will not come on unless you push it in 2 times and will not stay on. It only stays lit if you hold it in.
Seems like both issues popped up at the same time.
Alexander

·
Registered
1 Posts
Map Lights not working with switch or door

My 2007 Pilot had evolving map light issues over the past couple years. First, the left map light would not work with door open but would work with switch (sometimes). Then the right map light then would work with just door switch (sometimes). Left light then would not work at all. Lastly, the left side started working again with the switch.
So, I just ordered 2 map light switches on Amazon for ~$13 and a map light bulb for $5. I changed out both switches and the left bulb and all is fixed. The circuitry is not intuitive (to me at least) as the bulb seemed to work sometimes but in the end needed to be changed anyway to make work with door and overhead switch. My advice would be to change both switches and bulbs as cost is minimal.
I searched the map light removal on Youtube and found an Acura video that was exactly what I saw and was very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ran into this same problem with my 2008 EX Pilot.

Problem Summary - Bulbs are OK. Driver's side map/dome light would not turn on with door opened. All other courtesy lights would come on including passenger side map light. Also same thing....would not turn on with master switch (lower left side) but all others would. However, driver's side would turn on when lens-switch pushed (door opened or not).

After reading this thread I solved it by taking the assembly down (follow the instructions earlier with the 4 screws) and then taking out the 2 white switches, bending the contacts a slight bit to make them tighter and then re-installed the switches and assembly. Everything is working as normal now. Very easy 20 minute fix.

I did not need to buy any parts and it's working great. Thanks for the information everyone!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have nothing more to add technically, but I do want to thank everyone for their contributions. Our 2005 experienced this issue (driver side light only), and I was able to resolve it quickly because of this thread. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it bugged me every time, so I am happy now. My wife did not seem to mind (this is her primary car) because she said there are enough other lights; her past cars had the typical single dome light. She _is_ happy that I no longer complain about, so we are both happy to have the issue resolved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just ran into this same problem with my 2008 EX Pilot.

Problem Summary - Bulbs are OK. Driver's side map/dome light would not turn on with door opened. All other courtesy lights would come on including passenger side map light. Also same thing....would not turn on with master switch (lower left side) but all others would. However, driver's side would turn on when lens-switch pushed (door opened or not).

After reading this thread I solved it by taking the assembly down (follow the instructions earlier with the 4 screws) and then taking out the 2 white switches, bending the contacts a slight bit to make them tighter and then re-installed the switches and assembly. Everything is working as normal now. Very easy 20 minute fix.

I did not need to buy any parts and it's working great. Thanks for the information everyone!!
What do the white switches look like

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm hoping that will fix my problem because my front dome lights only light when pressed, but the other rear ones light with the door open

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just had mine go out today. I'd like to thank those who posted how to fix this issue. It took 15 minutes to find the tools, take it down, pry the metal contacts apart and reinstall. Works like it should again. :7:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Here are the pics to go with the installation (pics 1- 10).
Last few pics 11 - 13

Excellent description and pics. Just did this for my passenger's side map light.

Once opened up, sometimes the microswitch just needs to be jiggled to work again, because the assembly has been discombobulated by *someone* in the passenger's seat hitting it with disproportionate force. :headslap:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sometimes it's just a bulb.

Excellent description and pics. Just did this for my passenger's side map light.

Once opened up, sometimes the microswitch just needs to be jiggled to work again, because the assembly has been discombobulated by *someone* in the passenger's seat hitting it with disproportionate force. :headslap:
A rare retraction, like they say in fancy newspapers :|:

Said passenger side map light continued to go off intermittently, even after my "fix."

The cause? Sometimes it's just a bulb. :|

In this case, according to the owner's manual, a 12v 8w festoon type bulb. The Canadian Tire store I dropped by just before closing only had that size in a 12v 10w, but you know what? Not only does it work fine, but I noticed the very slight increase in brightness made it equal to the driver side map light, whereas it had been slightly dimmer before, which leads me to believe that perhaps, just perhaps, the previous owner had put in a 10w replacement on the driver side, which led to an "imbalance" in wattage in the circuit and that led to the original 8 watt bulb being fed a slight surge which caused it to fail earlier.

I can already hear opposing counsel interjecting,"Objection, your honor; calls for speculation."

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Honda Pilot 2007!!
Front map lights on both sides do not come on when the doors are open. They work when they are pushed, but not when the doors are opened.

·
Registered
62 Posts
05 Pilot.
I took my switches out this past weekend and swapped them side to side and everything works now. Prior to that, my map lights were not coming on when the doors were opened and the driver side map light was the only one that would come on when I pushed the switch. Hopefully its not a temporary fix but we don't drive this suv much so I thought I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
05 Pilot.
I took my switches out this past weekend and swapped them side to side and everything works now. Prior to that, my map lights were not coming on when the doors were opened and the driver side map light was the only one that would come on when I pushed the switch. Hopefully its not a temporary fix but we don't drive this suv much so I thought I'd give it a shot.
And this past weekend they already started acting up again. So I ordered the switches and put them in 3 days ago. Working fine now!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts