Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... Been a while since I posted (haven't had any problems!)... And yes - I used the "search" function before posting this...

I'm going to call it a dome light because I'm not sure the technical name... others call it a map light, some call it a courtesy light. Anyway, it's the light on the driver's side right near the sunglass holder.

Summary: 2005 Pilot EX-L w/~27.8k miles (still under original factory warranty)... The driver's side dome light does not come on when the door opens (all other lights come on, to include the passenger's side dome light).

Here's the twist: The light comes on when you push the dome light (to turn it on).... So, I know it's not a burned out light bulb. (and yes, for giggles and grins I tried replacing the bulb with no luck)

The switch to the left of the steering wheel is set to "Door", and when any door is opened, all lights come on with the exception of the driver's side dome.

Before I waste a trip to the stealer's to get a tech to shoot the wires, does anyone know of a solution to my problem? I'm thinking it might be a loose connection (busted solder?) but other than that I'm flush out...

Thanks, and Happy Festivus! (for the rest of us)...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
That's interesting. I have always noticed that with the master light switch ON, then turning on the individual map light switch, the light becomes brighter. If you replaced the bulb, then it's obviously not a two-way bulb. There must be two separate curcuits feeding the light - one from the master curcuit that lights all the interior lights and another from the local switch. Something's wrong with the master circuit feeding that light.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... I thought about it being a 2-way light bulb, but it only has one filament and after switching the bulb with the passenger side one (with the same results) I figured that it's not.

Like you, I've noticed that the bulb is brighter when you press the light on, as opposed to when the door is opened.

Unless someone else has a "gee whiz" explanation that I'm missing, I'm afraid I may have to take the Pilot in... :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem... did you find a solution for it?

I've checked all the fuses - so far nothing. Strange though, it stopped working the same time another fuse blew (when my husband shorted the radio control fuse with a faulty phone charger). The headlight chimes also do not work since then.

Let me know what you did with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No solution yet...

Took the assembly apart this morning to see if it was a loose connector and everything seems tight.

It's weird: The right side light works in both the "push on" position and the "door open" setting... But the left one doesn't work in the "door open" setting but DOES work when you push it on. Weird. My guess? It's a ground issue with the left light assembly. If not, then I'm clueless.

I'm taking it in to the dealer - still under warranty - and will let them crack the code.

I'll post when complete to let you know...

·
Registered
3 Posts
We solved our problem. We took apart the button inside the driver's side door. The whole mechanism had been pushed in and was not functioning because it was always "open". Now the chimes work, the alarm for leaving the keys in, and the light.

I am pretty sure our button got pushed in because of the seatbelt. Sometimes it will not retract as it is supposed to, and it gets caught between the door and the side. I have had this problem with all 3 of my Hondas (Pilot and 2 Civics). I wonder if it me or if it is a Honda problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Took it into the dealer to have it looked at last weekend as it's still under warranty.

The problem is a ground interrupt (fault) in the dome assembly. Needs to be replaced - part is special order. Should be in next week.

Cost to me $0.00...

Just FYI in case anyone else has the same issue.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Noticed that I have that problem the other day and had them look at it today while they were diagnosing why the remote starter isn't working. They are going to fix it next week when they put the new and improved bypass that is supposedly more cold-weather friendly.

Funny how a part that's supposed to help you warm up the car in the winters is the first to have issues when it's cold out.

Sorry about that rant -- don't mean to hijack this post.

:2:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Re: Update

HerkPilot said:
Took it into the dealer to have it looked at last weekend as it's still under warranty.

The problem is a ground interrupt (fault) in the dome assembly. Needs to be replaced - part is special order. Should be in next week.

Cost to me $0.00...

Just FYI in case anyone else has the same issue.
What did they replace? I have the same problem, but mine isn't under warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They replaced the whole dome light assembly...

·
Registered
25 Posts
How common is this problem?

Bought a 2008 CPO a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize it has this issue until last weekend. Car has already gone back to the dealer to get "debris" cleared from the HVAC blower fan. They were able to get that fixed while I waited (less than an hour). If I call the service department up regarding the dome/map light issue will they know what to do and what parts will be required to minimize the amount of time the car is in the shop or will they take all day to diagnose what the issue is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Took the Pilot into Herb Chambers in Burlington and they replaced the "assembly" under warranty.

Part #: 34404-SDA-A22
Do you mean 34404-SDA-A21?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I also have a dome light issue with my 2006 Pilot. The lights went out one at a time, so I guess I need to make sure the bulbs didn't burn out first. If they are ok, then I guess I am going to need the assembly as well.

Honda Extended warranty just expired a week ago, so I am hoping it is just a bulb issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Driver's Side Map Light Problem

Had same symptoms as quoted by HerkPilot at start of this thread.

Problem occurred and fixed just recently.

Summary - Driver's side map/dome light would not turn on with door opened. All other courtesy lights would come on including passenger side map light. Also same thing....would not turn on with master switch (lower left side) but all others would. However, driver's side would turn on when lens-switch pushed (door opened or not).

Advised dealer that there was numerous postings on this very issue and they had it fixed under the extended warranty. Involved replacing map light housing. Asked if there was a TSB but they said no. Apparently they did get approval from Honda Canada. I did not get part numbers etc so no specific info on the details of the defect.

2005 Pilot @ 145K kilometres, Honda Extended Warranty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great info. guys I had the same issue with my 05 Pilot. Left side dome/map light wasn't going on unless I pressed the button.
I ordered the 34404-SDA-A21 housing and it only took about 15 minutes. I probably could have done it faster but I didn't want to damage any wires or either of the two connectors. Now the light works fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question for anyone who has ordered the 34404-SDA-A21 housing for their Pilot...

Did the housing come pre-installed with the two small white light switches that click on/off for the dome lights?

You've probably seen these in another thread...but they look like this:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/69-2003-2008-pilot/28063-dome-light-microswitch-broken.html

I ask because I already tried replacing those switches and it hasn't helped. I thought I'd try ordering the entire housing and see if that did the trick, but those microswitches are a huge pain and I'd rather live with the problem than deal with those again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We solved our problem. We took apart the button inside the driver's side door. The whole mechanism had been pushed in and was not functioning because it was always "open". Now the chimes work, the alarm for leaving the keys in, and the light.

I am pretty sure our button got pushed in because of the seatbelt. Sometimes it will not retract as it is supposed to, and it gets caught between the door and the side. I have had this problem with all 3 of my Hondas (Pilot and 2 Civics). I wonder if it me or if it is a Honda problem?
I know this is a very old post and you probably won't even be here but many thanks for your post. I have the exact same problem with my 2003 Pilot that has 130,000 on it. Ordered a replacement today for $3.50 at one of the online OEM Honda places.

Many thanks!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts