Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be meticulous in removing only timing belt cover bolts and water pump bolts, because if you accidentally remove and then re-tighten an oil pump bolt, you will likely break the Honda bond seal and create a leak. 2 bolts in this pic have had the seal broken.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Be meticulous in removing only timing belt cover bolts and water pump bolts, because if you accidentally remove and then re-tighten an oil pump bolt, you will likely break the Honda bond seal and create a leak. 2 bolts in this pic have had the seal broken.
View attachment 143211
Thanks for the warning. Know if or how they can be resealed? Oil leaking on the timing belt seems like a showstopper.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warning. Know if or how they can be resealed? Oil leaking on the timing belt seems like a showstopper.
That would be a great question for @Slvr7 .
Since I suspected the oil hole gasket behind the pump was compromised, we opted to pull the pan and pump, replace this gasket, front main and reseal with Permatex Ultra Black (instead of Honda bond). Waiting on parts.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Egads! Always more fun waiting to surprise us on any job.
Got the pan all cleaned up. Will be cleaning the engine side today. Nice 65°F weather we've been having. 😊

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yep, beautiful here too.
What's the yellow tipped black thingie? Oil temp?

Assuming it wasn't you, but even to the great unwashed, those bolts don't look like they hold on anything you'd need to remove on a TB job. But ya never know, so good tip!

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, beautiful here too.
What's the yellow tipped black thingie? Oil temp?
Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Assuming it wasn't you, but even to the great unwashed, those bolts don't look like they hold on anything you'd need to remove on a TB job. But ya never know, so good tip!
The oil pump bolts are 10mm like the TB cover bolts and WP bolts. Placing your socket on the wrong bolt if not careful, can happen.
No, I was not responsible for these oil leaks or the installation of the Gates TB WP kit. If you notice the coolant leak too.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
View attachment 143211
You have so much experience doing these TB's and things on these FWD/transverse engines.
You make it look so simple, and to me, the picture looks like there's LOT's of room in there, etc.

But when I open my hood and just look in there- Woa, I've been DIY'ing enough that it looks like the little work area would require a lot of tools, and gadgets that I don't have - yet. By the time I bought some tools to possibly do it right, messed with it, grunted, possibly broke some bolts off, etc.
I've DIY'd many things. Rebuilt whole motors using plastic gauges- etc. Done clutch/pressure plates, cams, intakes, etc.

But my hat's off to you NG, and those like you who do this TB job themselves.

For me, neither of my Pilots are close to needing it yet, but I have this shop I really trust that has already done the TB on my 08 once- that I'll probably have do the next ones too.

I guess what I'm saying is- Strong Work.
I'm whimping out with that little narrow space to work and letting the shop do this one probably.
I'm not worthy- a term meaning how impressed I am that you do these often.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have so much experience doing these TB's and things on these FWD/transverse engines.
You make it look so simple, and to me, the picture looks like there's LOT's of room in there, etc.

But when I open my hood and just look in there- Woa, I've been DIY'ing enough that it looks like the little work area would require a lot of tools, and gadgets that I don't have - yet. By the time I bought some tools to possibly do it right, messed with it, grunted, possibly broke some bolts off, etc.
I've DIY'd many things. Rebuilt whole motors using plastic gauges- etc. Done clutch/pressure plates, cams, intakes, etc.

For me, neither of my Pilots are close to needing it yet, but I have this shop I really trust that has already done the TB on my 08 once- that I'll probably have do the next ones too.

I'm whimping out with that little narrow space to work and letting the shop do this one probably.
Don't sell yourself short. If you've done those other jobs, I know you can do this too.
Bolt breaking is a possibility. I do not use a power ratchet on breaking loose bolts. I may use one to completely remove if the bolt is free.
I don't like pressure. If I even feel a moment of stress, I'm dismiss myself to collect my thoughts. Maybe have a beer, or a glass of wine to releave the back muscles before returning. 😁
Seriously, you can do this. Watch lots of different mechanics do this job on YouTube.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Don't sell yourself short. If you've done those other jobs, I know you can do this too.
Bolt breaking is a possibility. I do not use a power ratchet on breaking loose bolts. I may use one to completely remove if the bolt is free.
I don't like pressure. If I even feel a moment of stress, I'm dismiss myself to collect my thoughts. Maybe have a beer, or a glass of wine to releave the back muscles before returning. 😁
Seriously, you can do this. Watch lots of different mechanics do this job on YouTube.
I have already watched a few, and was always impressed with the tools they were using too.

I don't have to worry about it for a while either.

I'm just really impressed with yours and others skills who tackle this job.

I get scared when I look at the narrow area on the front of the engine, which is on the right/passenger side on thsese transverse engines.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
I get scared when I look at the narrow area on the front of the engine, which is on the right/passenger side on thsese transverse engines.
Maybe take off the right front wheel, remove the fender liner and then see if the job looks any less intimidating - or not.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
Permatex Ultra Black
Permatex Ultra Black, is there anything you can't reseal? :love:

Got the pan all cleaned up. Will be cleaning the engine side today. Nice 65°F weather we've been having. 😊
View attachment 143214
That pan looks so clean now you could eat (a big) breakfast off it. :)

I know. Next time I need a timing belt job, I'll head south. If South Main Auto is closed, I'll keep going, bypass Scotty in Tennessee, and try to find the Texas compound I assume @Nail Grease lives and works on. I'd just hesitate if he and his fellow compound dwellers offered me their Kool Aid, but that would be a moot point because I'll've brought Canadian beer for all of them to barter for that timing belt job, since they don't believe in government-issued "money." :p

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I know. Next time I need a timing belt job, I'll head south. If South Main Auto is closed, I'll keep going, bypass Scotty in Tennessee, and try to find the Texas compound I assume @Nail Grease lives and works on. I'd just hesitate if he and his fellow compound dwellers offered me their Kool Aid, but that would be a moot point because I'll've brought Canadian beer for all of them to barter for that timing belt job, since they don't believe in government-issued "money." :p
Don't forget to barter for a pair of repurposed signature shop rags :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't forget to barter for a pair of repurposed signature shop rags :ROFLMAO:
Umm, I'll use my own articles of clothing, lol , Thanks for the offer.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 20 of 24 Posts