Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove to a dealership yesterday hoping they'd have at least one '04, to feel them out on pricing and availability, blah blah blah. They had five '03s on the lot, but no '04s (salesman said "Oh, we won't get one until late September, or maybe even October"). Drove an '03 anyway, just because it's been a while and I wanted to see if I'd actually be able to park and de-park the thing. Told salesman I'd be looking at an '04 Sagebrush EX-L. He checked his list and said well, what a coincidence, the first '04 we have coming is a Sagebrush EX-L, and it will be here in two weeks (so much for late September, right?). :headslap: And we could put down a $500 deposit and get the "right of first refusal." Of course, he wasn't sure how much it would cost, because he didn't have the new prices yet (hey, numbnuts, have you thought about checking the Honda website? It's been up for days!), but he thought it might be about $100 more than the '03. :rolleyes: And they're not taking less than sticker, of course. And I knew more about the new features than he did. It was a very "D'oh" experience.

Anyway, since this was not enough incentive to sign the dotted line, DH and I had time to actually talk rationally about it, and started thinking with our heads instead of our hearts, and realized this is not a good time. The CR-V is a perfectly good car (and I'm sorry, but I have to say it; it's more fun to drive around town than the Pilot), and while the extra room would be great for long trips, it's really not a good enough excuse to trade in a one-year-old car. So, it looks like we're back to plan A, which is to buy a Pilot in a couple of years instead of before the end of the year. By that time they'll have side curtain airbags and a moonroof, and that will be a good enough excuse! :p

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
tracy said:
. . . The CR-V is a perfectly good car (and I'm sorry, but I have to say it; it's more fun to drive around town than the Pilot), and while the extra room would be great for long trips, it's really not a good enough excuse to trade in a one-year-old car. So, it looks like we're back to plan A, which is to buy a Pilot in a couple of years instead of before the end of the year. By that time they'll have side curtain airbags and a moonroof, and that will be a good enough excuse! :p
You need one of each.

P.S. Except for very short trips or very tight parking spaces, I find the Pilot MORE fun to drive.
(Maybe that is because it is hers!)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tracy, I think you and DH made the right decision. Besides, that salesperson didn't seem like the trustworthy type. I wouldn't have done any business with him anyway. And you have a perfectly good vehicle there that's only one year old, so you're not in a rush. The more time you have, the more power to you and don't let any salesperson rush you into anything.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't get the OEM deflector when you get your Pilot :2:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Get away from that shark salesperson! He or she tried to sell you the '03 by saying it would be awhile for the '04's, then when they realized you particularly wanted the '04, the story changes...

Games people play...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Get away from that shark salesperson! He or she tried to sell you the '03 by saying it would be awhile for the '04's, then when they realized you particularly wanted the '04, the story changes...
Yeah, that's the impression we got. When we do buy, it definitely won't be from him.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Didn't you know? Your salesman won this award last month.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts