Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be picking up my Pilot on Friday and I have been surfing this site for a couple weeks now. I did a search and did not come up with the answer I need. One of the things I keep wondering is how I am going to keep my husky from chewing up the seatbelts when I have her in the back of the car. She has done this to a couple cars already, and short of removing all her teeth, I cannot get her to stop(I believe it is done out of anxiety - she doesnt like traveling in the car). Is there a way to easily store or remove the rear belts or is there something out there that can slide over the belt to reduce damage when the dog does chew on it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
What about a muzzle for the dog?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've seen doggy-proof seat covers that cover a bench seat - perhaps you could get one of those, and tuck the seat belts out of sight under it (I'm sure they have holes for the seat belts, but you could just not use them, kwim?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gksmith said:
What about a muzzle for the dog?
That is EXACTLY what I tell my wife, but she will have none of it. We have two dogs and she thinks it "isn't fair" that the other dog doesnt have to be muzzled and this one does. My response, naturally, is that the other dog is a GOOD dog and doesnt destroy anything.

renov8r said:
There IS a speration net available from dealers (and hondacura.com) that installs easlity and keep you pets in the cargo area. As long as the third seat is folded the belts are safe, the dog is safe, and you can undo the net MUCH quicker than any metal screen... [/url]
Two issues with this:
1) I am talking about the 3rd row seatbelts that are IN the cargo area and
2) A seperation net to this dog would be like warm butter to a hot knife.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tracy said:
I've seen doggy-proof seat covers
Are they made of steel? This dog has literally chewed through an aluminum sheet I put on the bottom of our fence because she kept chewing through the boards. She has also chewed through a hurricane fence at my parents house when they dog-sat her.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When the seats are folded...

you cannot get to the belts. The belts are attached to the FLOOR of the vehicle UNDER the third seat cushion. Unless this dog has opposable thumbs, the seat cannot be "released".

The net itself is not "chewable". The spaces don't allow their snout through, AND like trying to cut a jelly worm with a bread knife, there just isn't anything to go "against"(unlike the belt, the surface area of the net is VERY small, it'd be more like FLOSS...)

I've got two labs. Neither is an aggresive chewer, but the older one will DESTROY a toy or whatever is around when she gets bored. I have had no troubles with them in the cargo area...

·
Registered
385 Posts
buy a bottle of "Bitter Apple" from any pet place and spray it all over the belts. It works 99% of the time. "Henry" (the guy in my avatar)actually is part of the 1% who enjoy it? They couldn't believe it at Obedience School when he chewed his leash after loading it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude, just feed 'Kita some liver flavored ball bearings to take car of her teeth. Then it will be easy to just wipe the drool off the seat belts and Febreeze them............j/k. :jester:

Maybe you can strech the seat belt of the corner or down the side of the middle row seats to get them out of the way then chain her so she cant reach them. Or just muzzle both your dogs.

I would just crate them in the back, its not like the windows are going to do them much good anyways.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
The 3rd row belts hang from the D-pillars, so even a sep net ain't gonna work once she sees those tasty treats hanging there. The sep net itself IS tough, and I can't imagine your dog will be able to get an angle on it, like renov8r said. But don't come to me for a refund if she does :)

I think MyR1's got the right idea - she needs to be in the crate, and might even feel "safe" in there and lose the anxiety. Or not.

How about one of those funky conical collars that dogs get after surgery, so they don't chew themselves?

Husky's are beautiful dogs, btw.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is an idea that won't look pretty but should work. Cut the top off some 1/2 gallon milk jugs, fashion a hook out of heavy guage wire (hanger?) so that you can hang the jugs from the the slot where the seatbelt comes out of hangs from and then place the folded up seatbelts in the jugs.

An alternative is to buy plastic trash bins that are designed to hang from car doors (they have hooks to slide in between the door and window) and use those. I believe our Target was carrying these during Christmas.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
humanatek said:

Are they made of steel? This dog has literally chewed through an aluminum sheet I put on the bottom of our fence because she kept chewing through the boards. She has also chewed through a hurricane fence at my parents house when they dog-sat her.
Um, no. :) I think "doggy proof" meant they wouldn't rip from a stray claw. My idea was out of sight, out of mind... if she can't see the belts, she won't chew them. If she never chews the seat itself, perhaps she wouldn't perceive the cover as something to chew on. But I wasn't thinking about the belt hanging from the ceiling. You have my sympathy - I had a dog that ate part of a windowsill, wood siding off the house, and wiring from the landlord's boat. :rolleyes: I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here, but have you tried giving her something else to chew on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions....

I appreciate all the feedback. I guess you just have to know this dog. The sep net is definately something that she will be able to chew. She destroyed something very similar in my 4Runner. I do not know how to fully describe the dexterity and ability of this dog. She once reached through her crate about 3-6 inches and pulled in one of my suits that was hanging nearby and chewed it up.

A milk jug hanging there would probably just "catch her attention" that much quicker and then would just mean she would have to chew through the milk jug to get to the seat-belt. Did I mention that in one of my past cars she chewed completely through a seat-belt literally in less then one minute.

Bitter apple....Tried that with my fence and gate....she likes the taste of the stuff!!( I also tried pepper spray on the fence...she liked that too... although it definately slowed her down a bit)

MyR1 actually knows this dog and probably came up with the most effective solution, create an 12inch lead and fasten it to the floorboard in such a way that she cannot reach the belts or the head rests of the middle row. Either that or leave the stinkin dog at home!! ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
and maybe get her something else to chew on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whitepilot said:
and maybe get her something else to chew on
She does have other things to chew on. The problem is that I firmly believe that when she gets stressed, she chews on things that either she knows she is not supposed to (as a way to say, "hey, I am not happy here") or whatever is close.

·
Registered
55 Posts
doggy downers

go to the vet--- get some doggy downers--- for those rides in the Pilot.:7: :7:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Maybe

Maybe you could make a harness that allows the dog to move around but not reach the belts.

There are a few tie-downs to use.

So who's dog is this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Maybe

N_Jay said:
So who's dog is this?
She is my wife's. The dog has done over $5k in damage in the 4+ years that we have owned her. If I had my way, I would have sent her off to another home by now...but my wife will have none of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Metal Bars

I've seen metal bar separators available from pet supply stores. Try Petsmart.com It's basically a barrier similar to the separation net, only it's made of thick metal tubes. Anyways, I'm going to be looking into the same thing for my dogs for the same reason.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Metal Bars

islandpilot said:
I've seen metal bar separators available from pet supply stores. Try Petsmart.com It's basically a barrier similar to the separation net, only it's made of thick metal tubes. Anyways, I'm going to be looking into the same thing for my dogs for the same reason.
This was on e-bay a few weeks ago... the auction has ended, so I'm just providing this as a reference point:

DOG/PET BARRIER for HONDA PILOT

There are pictures of the metal separator at the link!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts