Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Not even 1 month old about 900+ miles & having problems already :mad: This has happened 2 different times, both in the middle of the day so the car shouldn't be cold... I turn the key & it doesn't start, try again doesn't start, again & I hold it over for a few seconds now it starts. What's going on? On an everyday basis I noticed that start up is not instant but 2 seconds or so. Never happened with my others cars so why a new one?

2) Rear passenger bus light sticks. (as I call them, lights above the doors :D ) It has no spring to it so the light stays on when pushed unless you push down the opposite end...

3) Noticed the day after I took it home a gash/scrape on the rear passenger side bumper on the bend. (best I can describe) from my experience with cars it needs to be sanded & re-painted because of uneven surfaces. Buffing out will not work & I know that's all the dealer will try & do. How do I make them fix it the right way?

4) Rear mud guards had not yet been installed because it had just came off the truck the night before I bought it so I have to go back & have them put on. Question is are the mud guards supposed to be color matched to your car. (EX-L) if not I think they would look a lot better if they were, do you think they would paint them for me for free especially since all these problems I'm having?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
*Rear passenger bus light sticks. (as I call them, lights above the doors ) It has no spring to it so the light stays on when pushed unless you push down the opposite end...*

One of my lights did this exact same thing...it was that way upon delivery, but I didn't discover it until recently. My husband told me he noticed it. The dealer took it apart and put it back together and now it works just fine.
I went into my dealer ship with a whole list of little nags, and they fixed all of them. I will go back as many times as I need to just to raise Honda's awareness about these quality control issues. As for your starting problem-I just read a thread on here about '03 V6 accords having the same issue...being Honda's bread and butter, you can bet they will take care of this. Keep the faith fellow Piloteer!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Answers/ opinions...turned out. (free!)

1. As stated other people have noticed this problem. Has anyone noticed if this is an issue with the MDX? It should be the same starting assembly. I almost wonder if it is old habits or just the key not getting turned all the way the first time. I am starting to notice the times it has happened to me is when I was fumbling with other things or was just lazy and turn the key most but not quite all the way. I have to keep watching myself on this one. Your answer though, giving it a longer second crank time, seems to work.

2. These handles can sometimes be over-tightened at the factory. Check or have your dealer check for an over-torque causing the plastic to twist slightly. Straightening it should take care of this issue.

3. The bumper gash sounds like something which either happened in shipping or should have been caught at the dealership. Unless you backed into something through the month the dealer should be able to work with you on taking care of this. You did let them know immediately when you found it the next day, right?

4. Colored mud guards would look cool and integrate nicely but Honda seems to go with the black by choice. IMHO it looks fine but that's just my thought. The material seems to be the same as the Highlander so I'm sure it could be painted. It would probably have to be a professional shop putting several coats of paint on it along with some type of sealant. Cost effective? I guess whatever it's worth to you. I can live with the standard black.

Good luck!

·
Registered
991 Posts
As for the starting problem, in my experience, it seems to not want to start when it sits for an hour or two... When it is completely cold overnight, it starts right up, and when it has just sat for a few minutes, it starts right up?? Weird but true..

will see what Honda has to say when I get the results from the letter we wrote..

Keep complaining.. It is the only way it will get eventually fixed.. the more people phone or write letters, the more Honda will say, "Guess we should look into this problem"

until then...Crank it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine is different....

Sorry gopilot, mine is different
'... When it is completely cold overnight, it starts right up, "

Most of the time, I can remember at least 3 times, the hard start was insdie the garage, when I was try to go to work or something, early in the morning whilr the car was staying in the garge overnight before that.

I sent you private message that I want to be included in the Letter To Honda Canada.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks, I sent you a reply yesterday in Private message..

thanks
rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quick replies :) I didn't see those other 2 threads about the starting problem. I don't know if that makes me feel better because it's not only mine or worse because a bunch of us have the same problem :mad: About the scrape, I called them as soon as I saw it which was the next day so they know I didn't do it & they said it probably happened during unloading from the shipping truck. I'll take it in asap & I printed out all this info as my back up so I don't get the usual "there's nothing wrong with your car story" from the dealer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

The dealer contacted the techline which determined the starting problem was the fuel pump. They ordered a new fuel pump & fuel rails, the car goes back in Thurs or Fri for replacement. They also ordered a new bus light to replace the one that is sticking. I want to try & keep the old one to see if I can fix it & have it as a spare :) The scrape in the back was buffed out so no visible damage is noticeable but if you rub your finger over the area you can still feel the uneven surface.... The rear mud guards were installed, I didn't bother asking about having them painted. I'll do that on my own :cool: They stand out too much for me...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: UPDATE

Hwyking said:
The dealer contacted the techline which determined the starting problem was the fuel pump. They ordered a new fuel pump & fuel rails, the car goes back in Thurs or Fri for replacement. They also ordered a new bus light to replace the one that is sticking. I want to try & keep the old one to see if I can fix it & have it as a spare :) The scrape in the back was buffed out so no visible damage is noticeable but if you rub your finger over the area you can still feel the uneven surface.... The rear mud guards were installed, I didn't bother asking about having them painted. I'll do that on my own :cool: They stand out too much for me...
Hwyking, good to hear that your dealer's going to make it right for you! Got some questions for you, if you don't mind, please.

When you took the Pilot in and complained about the starting problem, did the problem manifest itself for the service technicians to see for themselves or did they just take your word for it and start performing diagnostics on it?

The problem with my dealer is that unless they can recreate the problem themselves, they refuse to do anything with the car. I find that so cheap and convinient way for them to avoid doing any real work. There are 3 Honda dealers in town and they all told me the samethings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: UPDATE

RipRocK said:
When you took the Pilot in and complained about the starting problem, did the problem manifest itself for the service technicians to see for themselves or did they just take your word for it and start performing diagnostics on it?
I told the service advisor that I had done some research (this site :D ) on the Pilot & found that this problem is wide spread US/Canada. I also let him know that this is very random & has happened 3 times so duplicating the problem during diagnostics probably won't happen. He said this is the 1st time HE has encountered it personally :rolleyes: but I doubt it... He also stated that there is no TSB out for it but as soon as he informed the techline they gave him a quick answer which was to replace these parts.

RipRocK said:
The problem with my dealer is that unless they can recreate the problem themselves, they refuse to do anything with the car. I find that so cheap and convinient way for them to avoid doing any real work. There are 3 Honda dealers in town and they all told me the samethings.
That is such
since all 3 dealers said the same thing, now would be the time to complain to the higher powers, GM, district managers, etc... unless you can find yet another Honda dealer a bit farther :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please update us and let us know if the replaced fuel pump fixes the start problem. I just got mine back from my dealer and they checked the fuel pump and found no problems. And as can be expected, it started fine every time for them, so they don't know what the issue is!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Fuel pump! I hope this is the answer to everyones starting problem.

If so, Lots of us will be getting new fuel pumps. Please keep us up to date with the new fuel pump and if it solves the starting problem? It will be interesting to see if Honda replies back regarding our letter with the same solution? Thanks for the great info!!!

rob

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's possible the starting problem is the fuel pump or it's control system. However, by my count, that is the 8th different explanation provided to owners by Honda dealers about why their Pilots don't start correctly, so I remain skeptical. By all means, post the results of the fuel pump replacement!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NEWSFLASH

Dropped it off this morning for replacement of the fuel pump & I talked w/a different service advisor cause the other one wasn't there. Anyways I told him why I was bringing it in & right away he said, "Oh the RECALL" :eek: I said OHHH... Honda finally decided to make it an official recall now & he said, "yeah they're going to be sending letters out to everyone" :awais: I was in shock to find this out so casually because the other guy was so secretive about everything.. This new guy gets a big :29: from me for letting me know what's going on without any
We shall see what happens in the next month...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
THANK YOU!!!

I just had the starting issue for the first time yesterday, and called my dad and he said it sounds like fuel line...
You've just made me feel much better in my time of stress.
KUDOS TO HONDA for being on top of things.:4:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: NEWSFLASH

Hwyking said:
Dropped it off this morning for replacement of the fuel pump & I talked w/a different service advisor cause the other one wasn't there. Anyways I told him why I was bringing it in & right away he said, "Oh the RECALL" :eek: I said OHHH... Honda finally decided to make it an official recall now & he said, "yeah they're going to be sending letters out to everyone" :awais: I was in shock to find this out so casually because the other guy was so secretive about everything.. This new guy gets a big :29: from me for letting me know what's going on without any
We shall see what happens in the next month...

RECALL!!! Really!! right on! First water pump, now Fuel pump..

Much happy..

rob

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wait,

One service advisor knows about a recall that no one here has heard about yet?

(to refer to another thread)

I would not be CONFIDENT in that answer. :2:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hwyking just got this info today, if this is correct, we should all get letters, or at least a TSB..

We should know soon.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Having Faith!

ALL FINGERS CROSSED in Washington.:5:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts