Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just picked up an 03 Sage Brush Pearl Pilot EX-L with NAVI about 3 weeks ago. The car is great but I have a couple of things that bother me about the car.
I am a window tinter and own 2 shops here in the S.F. Bay Area. California Sunscreen in San Leandro and Auto Mall Tint Factory in Fremont. I tinted all the windows except for the windshield to keep our Pilot cooler for the kids because the factory privacy glass does not reject alot of heat and UV rays. Anyway, even with window tint, I notice that the car is very stuffy inside the cabin. We usually leave the vent on fresh air, temperature setting on low and fan on the #2 setting and the car feels like it is kind of muggy and hot inside. We almost have to roll down the windows or turn on the AC in order to cool down the cabin.
Just wondering if others have the same problem. It has been kind of hot here in the past few days but we live near the water where the temp is around 65 - 70 degrees. Even without the sun and outside temp at 63, the air that comes out of the vent feels kind of warm. The only time the car doesn't feel stuffy is when we first get into the car in the morning.
Should I bring it back to the dealer to have them take a look at this problem or is it a common thing that I should overlook. Thank god it is my wife's car and I only drive/ride in it once in a while. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I think you're just experiencing some unusual heat and humidity in the Bay area. A co-worker of mine commented on that when he returned from a trip recently. Here in the D.C. metro area, we're into our tropical season, and what you describe is standard here this time of year.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Litespeeds said:
. . . . We usually leave the vent on fresh air, temperature setting on low and fan on the #2 setting . . . . .
Try just leaving it on Full AUTO, yes the AC will run sometimes, but it will take care of the "problem".

·
Registered
330 Posts
Litespeeds said:
... Even without the sun and outside temp at 63, the air that comes out of the vent feels kind of warm. The only time the car doesn't feel stuffy is when we first get into the car in the morning.
In San Jose, I usually have to drive with the windows partially open or the A/C on, even when it's only 72-73 degrees outside. I think the problem might be because the Pilot is such a big vehicle with lots of air and stuff inside that gets quite hot in the sun. There's a lot of hot air to ventilate and a lot of surface area in the interior to cool off. Plus, I think the air intakes are at the base of the windshield, so the incoming air gets heated by the hood and any air that flows past the radiator and engine to the intake. My guess is that your experience is normal.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
It has been quite humid/muggy (by SF standards) lately. We've been running AC in both cars when we'd usually just use the "vent only" for fresh air.

Probably normal; you'll have to wait for the regular weather to return. That said, the car *is* a greenhouse when parked in the sun so it'll take awhile to vent the stale/heated air if you're not using the AC.

If the vents don't operate as you'd expect once the humidity drops to normal around here, take it in for a look -- IIRC there's just a normal door/flap that directs the air over the AC or heating elements and if it isn't shut completely you'll get some hot air "bleed".

OT: outta curiosity, are you the Huper guy in the Bay Area? I'm gonna have a G35coupe for you to do in November.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello TheWorm,

The humidity in the Bay Area was a little on the high side in the past few weeks but it seems that our natural air conditioning has kicked back in with the dense layer of fog this morning. When we park the Pilot, as well as all our other cars, we usually put up a custom fit heat sheild to reduce as much heat as possible coming in from the windshield. Even on a cool day like today, I bet that it is stuffy in the Pilot. Almost feels like the air is in recycle mode instead of fresh. Maybe that part of the system is not functioning properly. Will keep you guys updated in the next few days.

As far as window tinting goes, yes I am one of the first guys in the Bay Area installing the Huper Optik Ceramic based films. I only carry this film in my Fremont store and in the 30%, 40% and 50% shade. You can contact me any time at (510)303-8468 (cell phone) if you have any additional questions regarding the film. My shop in Fremont is:

Auto Mall Tint Factory
43048 Christy Street
Fremont, CA 94538
(510)659-8468

This is the combination of Huper Optik film that I used on our Pilot. 30% on the rear 3 cargo windows, 40% on the rear doors and 50% on the front doors. When we first got the Pilot, my kids kept on complaining to my wife that it was hot in the car. I didn't know if it was that stuffy feeling or if it was the sunlight coming through the factory tinted glass. In any case, I should have tested the amount of heat coming through the factory tinted glass before I applied the window film but didn't have my heat meter available.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's cool

I don't think the Pilot feels stuffy at all. When I think of stuffy, I think of my Grandfather's 1972 Olds 88. Lots of fake plastic wood and fake plastic chrome. The Pilot's interior has a clean, cool feel to it. Very comfortable. :4:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yup, It's Stuffy!!

We have had our Pilot since March here in San Jose and we can't seem to drive very long without having to turn on the AC to get rid of the stuffy, humid feeling air. Very weird since I drive my other two cars with no AC and vents on and never feel that sticky muggy feeling in the cabin.

Even cracking the windows a bit doesn't seem to prevent the cabin from feeling stuffy within a few minutes, no matter what kind of temperatures or humidity outside.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A bit stuffy

My Pilot is stuffy on warm summer days first thing in the morning. I was wondering if the vents are closed when the engine is shut off.

This also comes and goes while driving. Is it possible that the air mass in the car is not evenly cooled and dehumidified? The two tiny floor vents behind the 2nd row aren't much for all the space and windows in back. I have noticed stuffiness when I turned a corner, even more so after a sharp 180° turn. This would suggest an effect like those of you in the North might have felt at the beginning of a drive on a cold winter day. You start out warm in front, but still cold in back. The first turn you make, the car "rotates" while the air mass stays put. By the end of the turn, it's cold in front, warm in back.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: A bit stuffy

jazcar said:
My Pilot is stuffy on warm summer days first thing in the morning. I was wondering if the vents are closed when the engine is shut off.

This also comes and goes while driving. Is it possible that the air mass in the car is not evenly cooled and dehumidified? The two tiny floor vents behind the 2nd row aren't much for all the space and windows in back. I have noticed stuffiness when I turned a corner, even more so after a sharp 180° turn. This would suggest an effect like those of you in the North might have felt at the beginning of a drive on a cold winter day. You start out warm in front, but still cold in back. The first turn you make, the car "rotates" while the air mass stays put. By the end of the turn, it's cold in front, warm in back.

Just a thought.
Yeah - this makes sense............ The answer it to keep :20: untill it's the same temp!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: Re: A bit stuffy

colorider said:

Yeah - this makes sense............ The answer it to keep :20: untill it's the same temp!!
Sure ... why didn't I think of that? Or maybe :5: and :2: and :21:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think stuffiness is what we have to live with in exchange for the great 360 degree view that we get from our Pilot. You know, the greenhouse effect from all that glass.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I definitely don't have any greenhouse effect because all my windows are tinted except for my windshield with Huper Optik Ceramic film.

The 30% shade on the rear 3 cargo windows reduce 61% of the heat. The 40% shade on the rear doors reduce 55% and the 50% shade on the front doors reduce 49%. I usually leave a custom fit heatshield on the windshield so my car is 100% protected from the sun's damaging UV rays when parked.

Let's try another thought. After you drive your car around and get the engine to operating temperatures, does the air that comes through the vents when the temperature is set at low feels WARM. When I roll down the windows, I feel cool air outside but as long as the vents are blowing, it is emitting a WARM, STUFFY FEELING air into the cabin.

When I turn off the vent and leave the window down, the car actually cools down and feels more comfortable. When I turn on the AC, the car gets cold very fast.

All I am asking is if other Pilot owners feel that the fresh air that enters through your vents after your car has been driven feels warm or not. I usually don't like to drive with the AC on unless it is over 80 degrees. With this car, I have to turn on the AC when the outside temperature is 60 degrees and above.

Do you guys and gals know what I am complaining about now? :confused:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah, now I understand and if it's any consolation to you, that's what usually happens with my Pilot too. Unless the air outside is on the cooler side, such as below 60F (15C), the air coming through will feel quite a bit warm, even if the outside air feels cool. But I found that to be the case with pretty much all the cars I've driven in the past and it's the same with my Pontian Montana minivan.

I don't know what it is, but I try to avoid using the AC as much as possible when I'm in the car by myself. Perhaps I still believe that the less you use the AC, the less strain you put on your car, thus it will prolong the engine, so, I know exactly what you're referring to.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Litespeeds said:
I feel cool air outside but as long as the vents are blowing, it is emitting a WARM, STUFFY FEELING air into the cabin.
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I'm going to try driving with no vented air and with the windows open to see for sure. I usually have the AC on when its 72 degrees. A bit too low for me. The vented air should cool the cabin if its that low and the temp outside isn't hot.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ferdball said:
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I'm going to try driving with no vented air and with the windows open to see for sure. I usually have the AC on when its 72 degrees. A bit too low for me. The vented air should cool the cabin if its that low and the temp outside isn't hot.
Now you just have to keep your eardrums intact when you get the resonating wind noise coming from the back windows.:(

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Pilot4Biking said:

Now you just have to keep your eardrums intact when you get the resonating wind noise coming from the back windows.:(
After reading this thread and the comments of PILOTinginCO, I would be tempted to try the WeatherTech Visors!!

:)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: No, the pilot is not stuffy at all. I keep the temp setting at 70-72 and on auto with recirc air. I do not open the vents to avoid all the exhaust fumes and smell the leather:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Litespeeds said:
My wife and I just picked up an 03 Sage Brush Pearl Pilot EX-L with NAVI about 3 weeks ago. The car is great but I have a couple of things that bother me about the car.
I am a window tinter and own 2 shops here in the S.F. Bay Area. California Sunscreen in San Leandro and Auto Mall Tint Factory in Fremont. I tinted all the windows except for the windshield to keep our Pilot cooler for the kids because the factory privacy glass does not reject alot of heat and UV rays. Anyway, even with window tint, I notice that the car is very stuffy inside the cabin. We usually leave the vent on fresh air, temperature setting on low and fan on the #2 setting and the car feels like it is kind of muggy and hot inside. We almost have to roll down the windows or turn on the AC in order to cool down the cabin.
Just wondering if others have the same problem. It has been kind of hot here in the past few days but we live near the water where the temp is around 65 - 70 degrees. Even without the sun and outside temp at 63, the air that comes out of the vent feels kind of warm. The only time the car doesn't feel stuffy is when we first get into the car in the morning.
Should I bring it back to the dealer to have them take a look at this problem or is it a common thing that I should overlook. Thank god it is my wife's car and I only drive/ride in it once in a while. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Other than the expectable heat that is created by sun coming through the glass, the car seems well ventilated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts