Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Pilot with 100xxx on the clock. Got the car with 66k, but never opted to do an ATF drain & fill until now (unsure if this was ever done). Transmission always worked fine, and changing the fluid 3x this month hasn't produced any noticeable changes.
My main question is regarding the color of the fluid. The original fluid was pink on the dipstick but came out dark, and each subsequent fill has presented the same way, with about 200 miles between each D&F (see pics). I'm using Valvoline MaxLife ATF, and just curious if this is ever supposed to run translucent-pink after a drain. And yes, I am draining it into an empty clean oil pan each time.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
Each time you do a drain and fill you’re removing roughly 1/3 of the existing fluid. Then the new fluid mixes with the older fluid. Then you drove 200 miles before the next drain and fill. From the looks of it (assuming left bottle is first drain and right bottle is third drain) you’re progressing towards more pristine colored tranny fluid. I did the math once and you will never get 100% of the old fluid out of there unless you do a flush (which Honda does not recommend). If I remember correctly after D&F#3 you’ll be at roughly 20% old fluid remaining.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
And did you check the dipstick fluid on a white paper towel? I’ve used a blue shop paper towel and thought the fluid was pink. Then did a second sample on a white paper towel and it had a brown tinge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, always on a white paper towel. And yes, I expect there to be around 20% old fluid at this point. One more D&F will leave 12% old fluid, and after that the returns become minor with each one. I came across this old post in which someone transfers brand new Honda Z1 into a milk jug straight from the original bottles, and it also has a dark tint to it in the jug. I'm beginning to think that these ATF fluids will never appear truly pink-translucent in the jugs. If this is the case, I'm perfectly happy with 3 D&Fs.
Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I changed mine with every oil change for years.... then went to every other. It never comes out clean and pink. There is always something on the magnet.

Reactions: 97trophy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts