Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not realize that the engine was on. I restarted again and there comes a big noice. Will there be a problem? How can I prevent this happening?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ouch,

What you heard was the starter trying to re-engage the flywheel. I've done it in other cars and as far as I could tell they seemed to work fine afterwards.

I heard if you keep doing it, you might loose some teeth on you starter or your flywheel. This is just what I've heard. I'm not sure if it's true.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hubby45251 said:
How can you prevent it? Hit the gas, if the tach moves.....your good to go, if not, turn the key.
I don't like to do that b/c you might have a flooding problem within your combustion chamber and possiblity of not able to start your engine right away. Why don't you just look at your tach and see where the needle is located. Anything above the "0" mark, you know what that means. I did this numerous occasions b/c my engine is so smooth and vibration-FREE. Envoy and TBlazers have a safety switch incorporated in their ignition switch so that one can't engage starter motor if the engine is on b/c GM claims that their L6 is so smooth and vibration-free (read that from their brochure). My pilot is even smoother than TBs and Envoys (test drove them). Matter of fact, 100 times better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's an idea. What about stepping on the brake, and switching gears....if the you feel the car "shift", then it is on! :D

Think this will work?

·
Registered
168 Posts
just for reference, I did not mean to mash the accelerator to the floor two or three times. I only mean to tap the pedal and look for tach movement.
Looking at the tach either way as you stated will take care of the problem as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts