Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand Honda recall was up to the 2013 models, I would assume the issue was corrected in 2014 and after? Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I've only had my '15 for a few weeks.
But my 08, and my '15 don't have any 'vcm eliminator', and they're fine.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Any Honda engine equipped with VCM is susceptible to having issues if left enabled. It may not be an issue for the first owner who trades. But if I was trying to attain 200k miles +, I'd disable.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am the first owner, 30K, 6 years old, plan to keep it for 5 more years at least

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I am the first owner, 30K, 6 years old, plan to keep it for 5 more years at least
If it were my vehicle, I'd disable it. I like my engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It keeps your engine cleaner. To me, the fuel savings isn't worth the possible future repair bills.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it were my vehicle, I'd disable it. I like my engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It keeps your engine cleaner. To me, the fuel savings isn't worth the possible future repair bills.
Is there a safe and Honda approved way of doing it? I ask because I have Honda care warranty for another 2 years

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Is there a safe and Honda approved way of doing it? I ask because I have Honda care warranty for another 2 years
Not sure how Honda views it. You might want to investigate and let us know what they say.
The device is placed on the temperature sensor and tricks the computer to a lower operating temp. At this tricked lower temp, the computer will not activate the VCM. Even though the computer is tricked, the cooling system still functions normally. But it is important as the owner, to check your cooling system. Make sure your coolant level is normal. Make sure your cooling fans operate as designed. The device is still supposed to allow your engine light to come on if you had a cooling issue. But it seems no one had had an overheating condition to tell us.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This will solve it. If you are worried about warranty just remove it before going to the dealer, though I bet the dealer doesn’t care. Everyone knows VCM sucks. Honda knows VCM sucks. My dealer apologized that there was no way to disable and confirmed that reliability aside many customers hate it. I filled out my Honda feedback survey stating that I’d never buy another car with this horrific technology because of the drivability issues it causes. I can pretty much bet most dealers would prefer to see it disabled but have to taught the company line that it’s a fuel savin system that generally doesn’t cause too much trouble.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any Honda engine equipped with VCM is susceptible to having issues if left enabled. It may not be an issue for the first owner who trades. But if I was trying to attain 200k miles +, I'd disable.
Why the Honda recall was only until the year 2014? I would have thought that if the 2015 is also affected would have been included

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Why the Honda recall was only until the year 2014? I would have thought that if the 2015 is also affected would have been included
Great questions, maybe someone with a 2015 can answer that. All I can say is, before VCM, if we had a cylinder that was not firing, we called it a dead cylinder. You did what needed to be done to get it fixed. Purposely deactivating a cylinder can never be good for the longevity of an engine.

Reactions: Bigbearsfan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here's what puzzles me: my buddy has a V8 GMC truck with cylinder deactivation system, it runs on 4 instead of 8 and there's a light on the dash saying which mode it is in. Truck is at 90k (he had it since brand new), I've driven it numerous times and I can't even tell or feel when it goes to 4 cyl mode. No other issues to report on that. So my question, is that just honda VCM that sucks? Or all other car makes that use this technology suck as well?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Here's what puzzles me: my buddy has a V8 GMC truck with cylinder deactivation system, it runs on 4 instead of 8 and there's a light on the dash saying which mode it is in. Truck is at 90k (he had it since brand new), I've driven it numerous times and I can't even tell or feel when it goes to 4 cyl mode. No other issues to report on that. So my question, is that just honda VCM that sucks? Or all other car makes that use this technology suck as well?
Seems like the more cylinders the smoother it can be. Also Honda really improved the technology on the 2016+ to the point where it’s still not too bad. Also GM has tried deactivation... even first starting in the early 80’s on Cadillac - it was a complete disaster. Basically it’s a hack and a bad one. You can perfect a hack to work reasonably well, but it’s still a hack. The latest from GM and Honda prove it can work OK... but at the end of the day, the improvements are minimal at best.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I suspect it’s simply a matter of what was included in the law suit. There was a big class action suit a while back. There are certainly people on here who have had problems with the 2015.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I had it muzzled since day one I also like having the 6 cylinders running all the time . coming up to 110 k no issues..yet :)

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
AFAIK there never was a recall. Maybe a TSB or the like. Not everyone has had problems with VCM. I replaced plugs at 105k miles and they looked brand new in all 6 cylinders. Maybe I’m lucky.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
68 Posts
Stupid question.. Is the ECON button on my dash the same as VCM? Should I not be running on ECON?

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Stupid question.. Is the ECON button on my dash the same as VCM? Should I not be running on ECON?
Not the same. Eco Button regulates your acceleration to conserve fuel.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
AFAIK there never was a recall. Maybe a TSB or the like. Not everyone has had problems with VCM. I replaced plugs at 105k miles and they looked brand new in all 6 cylinders. Maybe I’m lucky.
Everyone who keeps a vehicle long enough with an active VCM will have problems. If not you, the next guy. Some sooner than others.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
243 Posts
The VCM along with the ZF 9 speed transmission and rubber timing belt is precisely why I traded our Hyundai Sante Fe for a 2020 Highlander, not another Pilot as someone had asked. That said, keeping the VCM muzzled Pilot with 81k on and trading the 2018 Hyundai with only 17k on it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The VCM along with the ZF 9 speed transmission and rubber timing belt is precisely why I traded our Hyundai Sante Fe for a 2020 Highlander, not another Pilot as someone had asked. That said, keeping the VCM muzzled Pilot with 81k on and trading the 2018 Hyundai with only 17k on it was a no brainer.
Just curious why you say that regarding the Hyundai? I’ve heard good things about them but never driven or owned one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts