Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 EX-L, the specs say it can tow 4500 with 2 passengers. the camper is ~3025 and I tow with the family 2 adults to young teens. I don't take water in the tank but we have food, clothes, etc and water in the hot water tank.
I've always felt like I'm push the vehicle trying to tow with it. I started digging in more and found that the tow weight goes down when I add kids (still looking for that tow weight)
I also came across a post from another site talking about pilots needing a transmission cooler to be able to get upto the 4500 number.

thinking of replacing it with a truck :( . We don't leave michigan when we go camping. Haven't been to the UP yet either because I don't feel comfortable with it.

thanks,jb

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You have 250 hp and about the same torque going through 5 speeds. This is going to be an old school towing experience when you push the limits, slow and steady with lots of high RPMs.

That being said, the only special equipment you may have is a transmission cooler, so check for that.

Also, if you are close (and it sounds like you are), the only way to truly know your weights is to get the trailer loaded as normal and all of your passengers and hit the scales. Otherwise we are guessing.

Reactions: benwaynet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Unless a transmission cooler was standard. I'm pretty confident that I do not have one. Would that mean I shouldn't be towing a a camper?

jb

You have 250 hp and about the same torque going through 5 speeds. This is going to be an old school towing experience when you push the limits, slow and steady with lots of high RPMs.

That being said, the only special equipment you may have is a transmission cooler, so check for that.

Also, if you are close (and it sounds like you are), the only way to truly know your weights is to get the trailer loaded as normal and all of your passengers and hit the scales. Otherwise we are guessing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thank you! Unless a transmission cooler was standard. I'm pretty confident that I do not have one. Would that mean I shouldn't be towing a a camper?

jb
Can you look to see if you have one? Usually it's a small "radiator" in front of your radiator that you can see through the grill openings or the bumper openings. If I can find a picture I took with the bumper off of ours I'll post it up.

Many 2nd gens came with the cooler already installed, unlike the 3rd gens where Honda used that as a cost cutting measure.

Reactions: benwaynet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you look to see if you have one? Usually it's a small "radiator" in front of your radiator that you can see through the grill openings or the bumper openings. If I can find a picture I took with the bumper off of ours I'll post it up.

Many 2nd gens came with the cooler already installed, unlike the 3rd gens where Honda used that as a cost cutting measure.
If you can find the picture that would be helpful. I'm don't know what I would be looking for :)

thanks,jb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like I have one. I took this picture I think it’s the transmission cooler. What do you think

I took this through the lower grill on the front passenger side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,487 Posts
I have a 2014 EX-L, the specs say it can tow 4500 with 2 passengers. the camper is ~3025 and I tow with the family 2 adults to young teens. I don't take water in the tank but we have food, clothes, etc and water in the hot water tank.
I've always felt like I'm push the vehicle trying to tow with it. I started digging in more and found that the tow weight goes down when I add kids (still looking for that tow weight)
I also came across a post from another site talking about pilots needing a transmission cooler to be able to get upto the 4500 number.

thinking of replacing it with a truck :( . We don't leave michigan when we go camping. Haven't been to the UP yet either because I don't feel comfortable with it.

thanks,jb
Yes you need a transmission cooler, however your 2014 may be like my 2013 Touring, as it may already be installed. With 4 people the Gross Towing weight is 4100 lbs. if you go to page 329 in the manual it gives you all the specs and information you need. A trailer that heavy should have trailer brakes, so you will need a brake controller as well.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think Pilots are too sensitive to heavy duty towing. There are better more rugged cars that could handle it better. You probably could do it, but it would push it too hard and could lead to issues later on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts