Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 EX AWD. Last year in April I changed oil at 4500 miles (0% oil life remaining, 10 months of driving since I bought it new). At the same time I installed S-VCM and yesterday I changed oil 2-time after only 2217 miles (15% oil life remaining, 2 weeks shy of 1 year of driving, currently at 6717 miles). Driving habits exactly the same 20% Highway/80% City (CA weather) but oil change interval cut almost in half. I have never changed oil that early in my life (I used to do 3000 years ago with conventional).
Do you think that S-VCM has something to do with it or MM tracks also oil change time inverval of 1 year max (I wished I waited another 2 weeks to find that out)? There is just nothing else I can think of for such an early oil change.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Honda does recommend annual oil change regardless of mileage. Maybe the MM tracks that? I don't think it does on my 2016, so it's possible the software has been updated on the 2019+ models.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised. It's making the engine computer think the engine is at a lower temperature and not getting fully warmed up. Short tripping and not letting the engine get fully warmed up does impact oil life, so probably the algorithm is predicting shorter life because coolant temperature is showing up lower.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised. It's making the engine computer think the engine is at a lower temperature and not getting fully warmed up. Short tripping and not letting the engine get fully warmed up does impact oil life, so probably the algorithm is predicting shorter life because coolant temperature is showing up lower.
I don't think so, unless there is a new algorithm at play. VCM defeaters are not new at all, and I've never seen anyone comment on shorter MM intervals. It is not a "known issue". Neither have I experienced it on 2 different Honda vehicles.

Thing is, nobody is sure 'exactly' what MM uses to determine change intervals. We only have educated guesses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my experience MM does not track time. I don’t drive a lot and change the oil yearly without being prompted by MM - I had 50% left after one year.

I don’t reset MM either if just do an oil change, when it hits 10% I take care of the other items it prompts me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I know for my Pilot, I had to change the oil earlier than usual because instead of going into a restaurant to eat during the pandemic, we ate in the the vehicle while at idle. Hours of extra engine run time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope that someone can confirm that Honda has implemented time factor of 12 months (I will find out next year) max for oil changes (there was a recall on software last year, mine was updated), otherwise I will have to agree with you 100%. There is not much traffic/idle time in my city so 2217 mile oil change is ridiculous. I do not mind changing oil at least once a year as required (low mileage driven car) but now I wonder if any other maintenance services will show up much earlier than required.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my experience MM does not track time. I don’t drive a lot and change the oil yearly without being prompted by MM - I had 50% left after one year.

I don’t reset MM either if just do an oil change, when it hits 10% I take care of the other items it prompts me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guess what I have just found (I have plenty of time at work to search internet). It refers to 2018 Oddysey but there is a good chance that Pilots/Passports are the same. My MM showed 15% Oil Life Remaining few weeks earlier so I think that is also true for 2018+Pilots/Passports. That makes me feel better that it is not S-VCM "side effect". I will know for sure in 309 days if that is true (just strted counting).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Mine is a year old at the end of July and has very low mileage, and is absolutely decreasing the % oil life based on time instead of mileage. It's right on track for me to need an oil change at the 1 year mark.
Thanks for your experience on this subject!
Just to put this to bed.., If possible, could you post a photo of your percentage and milage please. Ty

·
Registered
846 Posts
The MM on my 2019 Touring has just had the "7" number appear when checking the system. That is for the brake fluid flush which is called for every 3 years. Although I purchased the vehicle in February of 2019, it had been built in August of 2018. I read here that the time of 3 years is figured from when the vehicle was built, so this appears to be true.

My Oil Life is at 70% and should be around 15% or so by August. The "7" is just letting me know that that service will be coming up, it doesn't mean it has to be done now. Same for the "A" letter showing when I check the MM, just letting me know what will be due, not what has to be done now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine is a year old at the end of July and has very low mileage, and is absolutely decreasing the % oil life based on time instead of mileage. It's right on track for me to need an oil change at the 1 year mark.
I don't think MM tracks time. Mine is manufactured in July 2019. Bought it in September 2019. Due to Covid and work from home, I don't drive much. MM did not show first oil change at 15% 'til November 2020. If MM tracks time, it should lit up 15% in July 2020 instead of November.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just want to ask if software on your Pilot was updated in 2020 by the dealer (there were 2 software recalls in 2020)?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
My 2020 Passport Touring MM was right on with time, not mileage. I bought it in February of 2020 and in January of 2021 I was at 5% oil life with just 3200 miles on the odometer. The MM is designed to consider time as well as mileage for many items, such a oil, brake fluid, timing belt etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not sure if your post was for me, but if so, yes -- the dealer did both updates prior to delivery of the vehicle.
Thanks 2020 Touring! I would like to ask Captain_Pilot the same question. I suspect that 2020 Software update took care of the time factor for oil changes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts