Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my own oil changes on my 2021 Pilot. I log the maintenance in Honda's Owners site. I keep my reciepts for oil and filters.

Has anyone had a warranty claim denied by Honda for any situation where you did the maintainace yourself. Engine or transmission.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I belong to "Bob Is The Oil Guy" and this question comes up pretty often. I believe there had only been a few instances where factory warranty was denied (NOT a Honda) because of lack of records AND sludge in the engine. This was on an Infinity which came off lease and the new owner after a few thousand miles started hearing a knock from the engine. Engine needed rebuilt or replaced and Infinity denied warranty because of no records from the previous or current owner and the sludge in the engine.

I also do my own maintenance and record everything on the Honda owner's site. I have done the same on every single car and truck I have owned over the past 25 or so years with Fords, GM's, Acura's, etc. Never had any problem BUT never had any warranty work needed oon parts that I had done maintenance on (engines, transmissions, rear ends, etc)

Keep good records as you are, use the manufacturers sites whenever you can to record services, and sign up for the free CarFax maintenance logging also. I just did that a month ago when Ford's owner's site was having problems and I couldn't enter any services I had just done on my son's Escape.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
804 Posts
You should have no issues as long as you keep good records which includes the receipts.
At my local Honda, I have a personal account at the parts department which is clearly labeled, do not overwrite. So anything I purchase is logged with the national Honda dealer.

I also take photos before and during maintenance. It takes an extra couple minutes to snap photos but it's more proof then the warranty service would get from the dealer.

In fairness my dealer only chargs $50++ for oil changes so it's rarely worth me doing myself.

I do the rear diff and I may try the transmission fluid but would strongly consider doing it myself then at the next oil change having the dealer do it so I don't have to think twice about the stupid fluid level check in procedure or any potential headaches.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
At my local Honda, I have a personal account at the parts department which is clearly labeled, do not overwrite. So anything I purchase is logged with the national Honda dealer.

I also take photos before and during maintenance. It takes an extra couple minutes to snap photos but it's more proof then the warranty service would get from the dealer.

In fairness my dealer only chargs $50++ for oil changes so it's rarely worth me doing myself.

I do the rear diff and I may try the transmission fluid but would strongly consider doing it myself then at the next oil change having the dealer do it so I don't have to think twice about the stupid fluid level check in procedure or any potential headaches.
Yeah my dealer is cheap enough for oil changes that it’s honestly not worth diy’ing… EXCEPT when I include the time it takes to drive there. When I factor that in, it’s faster for me just to knock it out… so I do. Ours is old enough warranty isn’t a factor but I usually let them do it under warranty. Good idea on the parts. I try to order them online so the evidence is in my email.

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,585 Posts
Just because you buy oil, filter and have the receipts, that doesn’t necessarily prove they were used on this vehicle and/ or if the oil change was done properly. I wouldn’t say you shouldn’t save receipts, just know that Honda must prove negligence on your part. What about being regular on ATF, Differential gear oil, transfer case fluid, brake fluid and coolant?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just because you buy oil, filter and have the receipts, that doesn’t necessarily prove they were used on this vehicle and/ or if the oil change was done properly. I wouldn’t say you shouldn’t save receipts, just know that Honda must prove negligence on your part. What about being regular on ATF, Differential gear oil, transfer case fluid, brake fluid and coolant?
True, but generally it’s pretty obvious when something is neglected. Additionally the chances of having a significant failure go way down on cars that are well maintained. I type up what I did and tie that to the receipt for supplies. I have never heard of any manufacturer giving anyone a hard time with documentation like that… not even Hyundai.

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,585 Posts
True, but generally it’s pretty obvious when something is neglected. Additionally the chances of having a significant failure go way down on cars that are well maintained. I type up what I did and tie that to the receipt for supplies. I have never heard of any manufacturer giving anyone a hard time with documentation like that… not even Hyundai.
I guess where I was going with this is, if you had receipts for oil purchases can you provide receipts for your ATF drain and fills? In the case of a 9-speed transmission, is having a receipt for 3.1 ATF purchase enough proof as is being able to prove the proper procedure was used to perform the service, since this is not a simple drain and fill transmission? Having receipts for engine oil but no receipt for other fluids may work against you and prove you were negligent on those items.
Yes, negligence is often obvious, but a failure of a part in an engine or transmission is not always because of owner negligence. In the case of a 6-speed, smelly black DW-1 syrup draining out of the transmission might at first seem like negligence on the owners part.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I guess where I was going with this is, if you had receipts for oil purchases can you provide receipts for your ATF drain and fills? In the case of a 9-speed transmission, is having a receipt for 3.1 ATF purchase enough proof as is being able to prove the proper procedure was used to perform the service, since this is not a simple drain and fill transmission? Having receipts for engine oil but no receipt for other fluids may work against you and prove you were negligent on those items.
Yes, negligence is often obvious, but a failure of a part in an engine or transmission is not always because of owner negligence. In the case of a 6-speed, smelly black DW-1 syrup draining out of the transmission might at first seem like negligence on the owners part.
I don’t think the dealers and Honda really go that far. They know when they made a bad transmission and generally know what’s possible if it’s properly maintained.

Ive never heard of anyone being denied warranty coverage when they showed documentation of service with receipts. On my Audi I just did the 60k mile service for example. I printed their checklist and went through and checked each item. I then typed up every issue I noted and then explained how I reset the service indicator using OBDEleven (a VAG licensed 3rd party scan tool). I then printed it all, attached receipts for the filters and oil used and put in my folder for the car. Frankly mine is more detailed than what the dealer gives me and have zero concerns about it being denied based off of that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One of the primary reasons that my wife and I have had 5 new Honda/Acura vehicles Is that Honda stood behind the product for us. We usually buy the 8-yr 100K or 120K extended warranty. We have never had a problem with a claim. Our 2002 Acura needed a new transmission under warranty. The process was seamless and cost us zero.

This is where the rating services fall flat. They track problems, but not resolutions. Honda has been very good at resolution. So, slighty below average # of problems and very good problem resolution equals excellent reliability to me.

Sometimes, a (recently) highly-rated brand actually sucks:

Kia does not want to pay

I saw somehere else that the way Kia pays the repair shop for warranty repairs can short the shop incenting the shop to deny difficult claims so that the shop does not lose money on the repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts