Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, My question is: I have a 2016 Honda Pilot LX FWD 59,900 miles. I'm aware of the faulty injectors they came with and now when I run a scan, I've noticed my Long term trims on bank 1 are very high (-16%) range. Should I be looking at the Long term fuel trim or the o2 long term fuel trim. Above is the scan and would appreciate it if anyone could give me your opinion. My vehicle has not had the fuel injectors changed (yet) and was wondering if I should start looking to buy them. Thanks again. Scott

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
View attachment 144334

Hi, My question is: I have a 2016 Honda Pilot LX FWD 59,900 miles. I'm aware of the faulty injectors they came with and now when I run a scan, I've noticed my Long term trims on bank 1 are very high (-16%) range. Should I be looking at the Long term fuel trim or the o2 long term fuel trim. Above is the scan and would appreciate it if anyone could give me your opinion. My vehicle has not had the fuel injectors changed (yet) and was wondering if I should start looking to buy them. Thanks again. Scott
Clean the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Remove it, then spray a few short bursts directly into the electrodes. Let dry. Reinstall. The. Check your reading again. See if it changes any.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Remove it, then spray a few short bursts directly into the electrodes. Let dry. Reinstall. The. Check your reading again. See if it changes any.
Thank you for your reply. I had thought about the MAF, but it appears that the high fuel trim is only on bank 1 and not bank 2. If the MAF was dirty, wouldn't both banks be high.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I had thought about the MAF, but it appears that the high fuel trim is only on bank 1 and not bank 2. If the MAF was dirty, wouldn't both banks be high.
Cleaning the MAF is not a fix all any more than changing a dirty air filter. But it helps to get an accurate idea of what's going on. Are you running with or disabled VCM?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
I was having similar issues with the short term fuel trims. Bank1 was plus or minus 5% but bank2 was running minus 10 to 15%. No surprise that I was getting the p0430 code which can be caused by an over rich condition on bank2. I tried the usual stuff like air filter and cleaning the MAF sensor but there was no improvement. Bottom line, the car goes in Monday for replacement of the injectors. Good news though, it qualified for the recent warranty extension for the 2016 model year so that is something you should look into.

·
Registered
869 Posts
When I get the car back with the new injectors, I will run some live data scans and check the fuel trims just to see what difference it made. Hopefully it will help others diagnose similar issues. Forgot to mention earlier that I had also pulled the sparkplugs thinking they may show signs of a rich fuel mixture but they all looked good and the gaps were in spec.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
FYI - Honda extended the warranty to 10yrs/150K for 2016 Pilots fuel injectors.
My 2016 Pilot is at 93K. I see this extension is dated 11/20. Last August I was getting the Emissions Failure Warning. It was intermittent. A dealer told me if the warning was displayed they would replace the injectors under warranty. I have not had the warning since. My Pilot does not get as good a gas mileage as expected. So two questions. Does this extension mean I can have the injectors inspected and repaired without the warning message, if inspection shows worn? Second could the iinjectors be the reason for my lower gas milage?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes the MIL has to be ON and only the DTCs listed in the TSB apply. Dependent on your location, winter fuel blends and longer warmups in cold weather reduce gas mileage. I notice a 2-3 MPG drop in winter. are you seeing more than a 2-3 MPG drop?

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Yes the emissions warning has the displayed and only the DTCs listed in the TSB apply. Dependent on your location, winter fuel blends and longer warmups in cold weather reduce gas mileage. I notice a 2-3 MPG drop in winter. are you seeing more than a 2-3 MPG drop?
I do a lot of towing of a 2000 lb. RV. I get 14 to 15 mpg towing in summer and winter in New Mexico. It is when I am not towing that concerns me. I am getting around 18 mpg. I use econ mode and I do not drive aggressively. When I first got the car last summer it looked like I was going to get 22 to 23. Then I was doing the towing and that is when I got the Emission Failure warnings. what does DTC and TSB short for. Also did you mean to say that the error has to be displayed to qualify?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get the car back with the new injectors, I will run some live data scans and check the fuel trims just to see what difference it made. Hopefully it will help others diagnose similar issues. Forgot to mention earlier that I had also pulled the sparkplugs thinking they may show signs of a rich fuel mixture but they all looked good and the gaps were in spec.
Thanks, I will be interested to see what the trims will be when you get the vehicle back after repairs. To bad you didn't get a scan before the repair, it would be interesting to see what your trims were at when the fault occurred.

·
Registered
268 Posts
DTC = diagnostic trouble code, a set of standard codes that aid in diagnostics. The car’s computer stores the cause of failures in the form of a DTC code. For the FI warranty extension, the DTCs listed on page 3 of the TSB must be displayed after the MIL turns on.
The TSB = technical service bulletin, a document published by the manufacturers that guides and directs technician in solving problems that reoccur in multiple vehicles. TSBs aren’t necessarily repairs covered by the manufacturer but TSBs are used to announce extended warranty programs such as the fuel injector campaign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know what their Long term fuel trims for bank 1 and bank 2 were before they had the fuel injectors replaced?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks, I will be interested to see what the trims will be when you get the vehicle back after repairs. To bad you didn't get a scan before the repair, it would be interesting to see what your trims were at when the fault occurred.
I did take some screen shots of live data scans last week which I will post with the scans after I get the repairs done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did take some screen shots of live data scans last week which I will post with the scans after I get the repairs done.
That will be very helpful. Do you remember if one bank was a high negative number for the long term fuel trim?

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 144334

There's a recall on those injectors. I took my 2016 pilot in 2 weeks ago. Those faulty injectors caused all kinds of other problems. I had a list of repairs over $5,000!! They offered me $14,000 to trade which was nice considering the issues I had been having. I left with a 2019 passport. The 2016 pilots are nothing but trouble, they were the first new model & have too much to worry about. 3 Honda employees told me I was making the best decision trading cause the 2016 pilots are what they see the most coming in with problems. I love the pilots...ive been a Honda owner for 19yrs. Started with a crv then I still have my 2003 pilot best pilot if you ask me. So, Scott dont waste your time or money. Good Luck

·
Registered
869 Posts
There's a recall on those injectors. I took my 2016 pilot in 2 weeks ago. Those faulty injectors caused all kinds of other problems. I had a list of repairs over $5,000!! They offered me $14,000 to trade which was nice considering the issues I had been having. I left with a 2019 passport. The 2016 pilots are nothing but trouble, they were the first new model & have too much to worry about. 3 Honda employees told me I was making the best decision trading cause the 2016 pilots are what they see the most coming in with problems. I love the pilots...ive been a Honda owner for 19yrs. Started with a crv then I still have my 2003 pilot best pilot if you ask me. So, Scott dont waste your time or money. Good Luck
The 2019 Passport has the same DI engine as the 2016 and the only change that I know of is the updated injectors which are the same as the replacements they are putting in the 2016's now. Hopefully you will have better luck with the Passport. At least Honda is finally addressing the injector and the start/stop button issues now and has issued extended warranties on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the response. If you don't mind me asking, what other problems were you having with your 2016 Pilot?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had my injectors replaced on Monday and here are the before and after live data scans of the short term fuel trims and secondary O2 sensor voltages. The car is definitely smother since the repair and is really noticeable at idle.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts