Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get my Pilot...but I'm having some last minute thoughts...

I keep hearing from people that the 3rd row seating in SUVs, in general, is pretty useless as they are only for kids and hard to access.

I have a small family right now...my wife, my 6 mo. old boy, and my stepmom (living w/ us as our nanny).

I just wonder if the 3rd row is going to be useful. Would I want to put child seats back there...if not, do I keep the childseat in the 2nd row and make other adults sit in the 3rd row?

I'd like to hear from Pilot folks on how they use the 3rd row or if they find it useless.

Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have three small children ages 5, 4, and 2. We put two child seats in the 3rd row and one in the second row. We fold down the 60% side of the second row so that the two older kids can scramble in and out easily. Works great.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just used it the other night. When to pick up my parents at the airport and put the two boys in the 3rd row. G'ma and G'pa loved to ride home with the kids.

·
Registered
211 Posts
reality is ...

... even Honda admits it is designed for children. We use it quite often. I have a 17 year old daughter and 20 year old son. They both claim to be comfortable back there. My son is about 5 foot 10 last time I checked. My daughter is a few inches shorter and has her high school friends back there (2 or 3 of them) and sometimes a tall fellow (6 footer) back there. Typically short trips though. Getting in is not a problem, but getting out is not exactly as easy as a mini van, but acceptable.

I'd say realistically, children or short adults are reasonably comfortable back there. For short trips (like 20 minutes or less), any one (except NBA players or people of similar heights) would be OK. I have put family friends (including mothers) back there for a couple of hours trips and I think they're comfortable. At least that's what they told me and I believe them. I wouldn't put my mother-in-law back there for any length of time, but then I'm a good son-in-law ... ;)

I'm short but I'm the driver :2:

Given your family profile, sounds like you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 3 children (17, 7 and 2). My 17 year old has her own car so pretty much doesn't want to be seen with me, but I cart my younger children and their friends around frequently. I feel that the third seat is very user friendly and provides adequate room for most.

The only draw back I have is that I also have the Cargo Tray. If I am not planning to carry extra persons, but need to do so while away from home I have no where to put the Tray when I pull up the third seat. Minor concern because it will fold and store behind the seat without too much trouble. Also, I wouldn't give up the Cargo Tray because I like the protection it offers for my cargo area.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Besides Mrs. Colorider and myself, the only other "2-legger" that typically rides in our Pilot is my 15YO stepson. Only one time since we bought it have we actually had 8 people aboard. It was for about a 30 minute ride each way. We had two young ones and one fairly petite adult in the 3rd row. Since we had picked up several of them from a snowmobile ride, we also had plenty of gear and helmets loaded.

Everyone appeared to do just fine getting in and out and no complaints. I do not have steps/running boards installed and I felt it may have been easier to enter/exit if there had been a step available.

IMHO, you will find the seating options quite accommodating, based on the description of your family.

Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
1 wife, 2 young kids

Used the third row frequently when we travel, once we arrive at our destination to see family or friends. Use the third row occasionally at home, usually when we have a third kid in there or when one of ours wants a 'treat' and sit two rows behind mom and dad.

Give you 6 month old a couple of years and they'll want to do the same.

I echo the comments further up on this post that adults can fit back there for short trips and that it is easier to get in to the 3rd row than to get out. If someone wanted easier access to the third row, they should be getting a van.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've used mine a couple times. When we go to clubs in Baltimore. It's just easier to cram 8 people in the Pilot than having to find parking close by for 3-4 cars.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Third Row Blues?

Ours is a family of 4. We have two kids 13 and 11.

They were VERY enthusiastic about the Pilot (We had a Toyota Previa family Van for 11 years prior with "acres" of interior space- much more than the Odyssey). At the show rooms and the test rides, BOTH kids went into the third row seats and declared them very comfortable. We pressed them on this and told them that if we bought the car, the seats would be used and they could not complain. but they assured us that the third row seats are fine.

However, now, after delivery, we find that they are not all together pleased when they climb back in there. Some of it is a desire to be in the middle seats with their friends. (one gets middle or third with her friend, other gets opposite with his friend, etc.) Usual sibling rivalry stuff.

However, some of this is based on the inconvenience of climbing back there, and the tight confines. The third row is really not all that comfortable for longer rides, and is best suited to sub 10 year olds. Yes you can fit bigger people back there, but let's not fool ourselves into considering it a great solution.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It comes in real handy for shuttling multiple kids and their friends. It also comes in handy for seperating our two kids to keep them from fighting.
On our trip down south we left the small seat up in back with the seat directly in front of it down. One kid stayed back there and the other had the whole middle 60 section. We still had enough room for all of our luggage. I think I had to yell maybe two times in 3000 miles, that's got to be a record!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Use It More Than I Thought.....

I had my Expedition for four and half years and used the third row seat about 4 times-grand total.

Since my wife and I got our PILOT last September, we seem to use the thing all the time. We haul nephews arounds, used the third row on road trips and even use it to move neighbor kids around of late.

So far, we've probably used the third row seat 8 to 10 times since we got our PILOT.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
328 Posts
We have a 5yo and an 8yo and a 6yo chocolate labrador (who only gets the back!).

We use it all the time. We use it when we take other kids & grownups hiking or out to dinner. We use it when we want to separate fighting children. (The 40/60 arrangement is especially good for this!!!!) We use it when on the spur of the moment say, sure, we'll have your 2 children over tonight and take them home from school.

It's great. Having said that, I've never sat back there! (I'm the chauffeur! :2: )

Friends with the CRV look longingly at our Pilot....:5:

Normally around town we keep the 3rd row down and it takes seconds to put it back up! This is a real change from our minivan 3rd row which just took up TOO MUCH SPACE and only folded in 1/2. We would end up taking it out and storing it (it was soooooooo heavy and difficult to carry!) and then end up needing it. YUCK. Don't miss it at all!!!!!1

·
Registered
207 Posts
We use ours occasionally to haul adult friends around, no serious complaints. It would be nice if the middle row could be adjusted a little forward for more leg room, but it's not that bad.

I rode back there once for about 45 minutes, was comfortable, but got car sick. It seemed like it was very bouncy back there. Anyone else notice that? Not really a problem since I'm usually the driver.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
used it a couple of times to haul frineds....they did not complain...guess an adult can sit there for short rides...though I will not make 3 adults sit back there for an extended period of time ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is really good to hear that everyone so far has no really big complaints about the third row seating because just by looking at it, it doesnt look too comfortable.

Beowulf, the cargo tray is formed with a "cutout" on each side that appears to be there so it can fold and allow the back seats to be raised while the cargo tray is in place. I havent tried it but I installed my cargo tray last week and I'm sure that it work just fine whether the 3rd seats are up or down.

·
Registered
486 Posts
FOUR kids

We have four and they have friends and we're very active with activities so I guess that explains having a Pilot AND Odyssey.
Best of both worlds. Love the split third row, wish the Ody had it. Next one.

Now, to make room for that S2000...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Guess I'm now a soccer mom...

I suppose that there will be a time when the third row will be erected, but since there are only the two of us, with no kids/grandkids/nieces/nephews/etc. in the area, it's unlikely.

Perhaps I should cultivate more friends?

Bottom line, the Pilot came with the third row whether I wanted it or not!

Regards,

Walt

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I use it more often than I thought I would. Great to be able to pile everyone in one vehicle and GO! :2:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I used them first day I drove my pilot to work, which is the very next morning I bought it. Six of my colleagues and I went to lunch and they chose to fit in Pilot.
I sat in 3rd row of my co-worker's MDX and can't not put my knees together, yet a 5-7" should be able to.
Compare Pilot with Lexus GX470, our 3rd row is much better, at least our bench is about a foot from floor. Theirs looks like has less than 10"

·
Registered
248 Posts
With two kids, we don't use the third row that often, but it is handy.
To answer the original quesiton, I would never put a car seat in the third row, because my back couldn't handle putting them in and out.
My daughter plays softball and we had a tournament in a town about 40 minutes away. We always meet and carpool to these games.
When it was all said and done, I had 7 12 year old girls in the car with all of their gear in the rocket box on top.

When a good song came on the radio (at least they thought it was good, I thought it sucked), they were bouncing and boogying and I had to slow down to keep her on the road :)
The suspension is not built to handle this!! :2:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts