Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of trouble with the Gen3 reported by our fellow Piloteers… TSBs, Direct Injection issues, lots more. I first had a 16' EX-L with too many issues to list - bought it new. I traded it for a new 2017 Touring because I thought "surely" my 16' must have been an anomaly. But my 17' has had its own issues, rear suspension noise that disabled it for a month while our dealer attempted to fix it, a wobbly hood (covered by a TSB), bizarre malfunctions of our Infotainment system and some other things.

SO - my question is this:
Who out there is having a superb, trouble-free, happy experience with their Gen3 Pilot? Are all Hondas of the future going present their owners with (lack of) quality that will prevent them from being long-term vehicles that will last 150k or more? Given the issues on my 16' EX-L and my 17' Touring, it would seem that the Gen3 Pilots just aren't up to the quality level we have expected from Honda in the past.

Our Honda history:
I have 120k on my wife's 2010 Odyssey which we bought new. Other than routine maintenance, it's never been in the shop for anything that has "broken" or "failed" due to lousy design or weak parts. To say it's bulletproof is an understatement. We had a 2006 Odyssey (same body style) that gave us similar trouble-free service through 180k (we replaced an alternator - that's all). I sold it to a relative who is still driving it every day at north of 240k. We've had 4 Accords, two CR-Vs, a Civic and an Element. All built to last. No real trouble with any of them. Then... the two Gen3 Pilots. Two vehicles in a row that I can't truly trust.

How about you?
Does anyone have a Gen 3 with high trouble-free miles? Does anyone have a Gen 3 that hasn't had a warranty claim or issue related to questionable design, build quality or cheap components?

Thanks in advance to everyone - looking forward to seeing your responses.
Brad

·
Registered
681 Posts
2016 EX-L with 27k miles
No major issues

2 "minor" issues:
1. Premature rotor warping at 10k miles leading to early brake job not covered by warranty
2. Premature tire wear - replacing OEM Bridgestones next week

I have the 7 year/100k extended warranty (mandatory for 1st year of design) so I am not losing sleep over all of the other issues people are having.

Overall, we enjoy the Pilot, with only minor design complaints (no volume knob, no standard trailer hitch, no separate rear window like the previous generation, fingerprints on infotainment screen until screen protector installed, etc.). It is comfortable, utilitarian, reasonably fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and looks good.

We will probably keep it another 3 years until the extended warranty runs out, then hope the next generation catches up to its competitors so we can give it serious consideration.

Overall rating: B+ :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 2017 Elite has 48k miles on it, and the only issue I’ve had is warped front rotors at about 45k. I had them resurfaced and next time the issue comes up I plan on swapping in third-party performance rotors. Everything else works and works well. I am also in love with the ZF 9HP transmission, disliked by so many.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I get together with my close friends it looks like a Pilot convention.
1 16 Elite, 1 16 touring - 4 years and trouble free.
I have a 17 Elite and there is another 17 Touring - 2 yo and trouble free with the note that both are under 14k miles.

I know of other friends that have them and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just keep in mind that most people turn to the internet to post something when they have something negative to say about a product/service. You will hardly ever see someone take the time to post something about a product/service they have had good experience with. Thus, I'd say this is probably why you assume there are more problematic vehicles than those without issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Only issue we’ve had on our 16 exl with 30k miles is the po4030 code, injectors replaced under warranty. I am concerned about the longevity of the engine with direct injection. My 19 exl hasn’t had any issues so far.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had two warranty issues:
1. HVAC blower replaced at 500 miles for bad bearings.
2. Rear differential seal replaced at 15K miles due to leaking.

Remaining issues:
1. Second row seat sound like a spring door stop and makes loud "boing" sound over bumps.
2. Third row seat squeaks very loudly over bumps and uneven road surfaces.
3. Headunit has been flaking out lately - randomly turning off or dropping CarPlay connection and then reestablishing it.

There are other squeaks and rattles associated with various trim pieces that I consider minor. The two remaining issues above are so loud and consistent they drive me mental when I drive the car which luckily is not all that often. Since it's not my daily driver I've just been procrastinating brining it in for repair.

Still has the 1-2 hard shift.

Overall, my Pilot is fine. It has 25K miles and is starting to feel "loose" and I think Honda went as cheap as possible wherever they had the chance. I still think the major mechanical components are good but I can't imagine what the body/interior will be like at 100K miles. This is not a long term keeper for me. With the 0.9% financing I already have significant positive equity and I'm just trying to figure out what I want next.

Honda's CEO recently said Honda has had issues with declining quality that are hitting their bottom line and that they're spread too thin with too many models in too many different markets. He's vowed to get Honda back on track. I think this fits the Pilot - it's not Honda's best effort and IMO the accountants had too much control over R&D and production.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2019 EX-L (mine). minor trim issues lead to wind noises. dudes at factory probably didn't pay much attention during install. Extra rubber material was hanging around the driver side rear view mirror. Trimmed it myself and fixed the problem.

2016 Touring (friend's). I talked to him before buying mine. The only issue he had was a bad interior light bulb. He changed it by himself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone who responded thus far. Hopefully we can keep this thread alive. Given the issues we hear about from our fellow Piloteers, it's great to hear success stories. As for us, we're still up in the air as to whether to keep our 17 Touring long-term. We just crossed 40k and - as noted in the original post - have had more mechanical issues than we would have expected from a Honda. We do like the Gen 3's quietness, light off-road capability and combination of power and efficiency. That said, economics drive most decisions and if the Gen 3 is going to be down a lot when it gets more miles (> 60k), doesn't make sense to keep it much longer.

Anyone else out there with a trouble-free Gen 3 with more than 60k?

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
173 Posts
2018 EX AWD with 9,500 miles had the hood flutter fixed and the fuel door wasn't flush with the body. Other than that it has been trouble free. I do plan to keep it for 12 years or 200k miles as long as it doesn't nickel and dime me. My 2013 CRV EX has 84k miles and has been a dream.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Got my 2016 EX-L in December 2015. No mechanical issues at all. The only thing that really bugs me is the drivers side wind noise at about 50 mph and above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my '16 EX-L AWD since Oct '16. No major issues at 58,000 miles. The minor issues that were easily resolved and my own fault are; I broke a tab off the interior trim trying to get the jack out and I got the rear bumper appliqué on crooked while trying to install it myself.

The only consistent annoyances I have are not anything that make me want to replace the car right away:
  • I HATE the stereo system (no android auto or CarPlay and terrible user interface)
  • The extra wide cup holders that hold larger travel mugs securely but let water/soda bottles rattle and move around are a strange design choice.
  • The lack of a rubber/plastic guard on the rear bumper like my last 2 Pilot's had to prevent damage while loading and unloading.
The '16 is a definite departure from the look and feel of my last two Pilots.

--Harry

·
Registered
8 Posts
2016 Touring 35k miles. We love it! Our experience is great, so far no issues.
You don't get objective picture by reading posts from forums, because when things go well, there is no reason for people to post :) Usually someone is looking for advice to diagnose or fix a problem.
Look at sales data. Honda Pilot sales kept growing every year until last 2019, when they introduced Passport. If you combine Pilot and Passport sales, then the trend continues. The point is, if Pilot really had problems at scale, then sales would drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 16 Elite has 25K miles when I traded it in.
It jerked really bad from idle stop. They replaced something and it helped.
the seat heaters would stop working randomly. I’d have to turn car on and off to get them to work again. Replaced the main component to fix that issue. Noticed the back seats were having the same issue but I traded it before I took it in.
the car would make a whining noise as I’d accelerate. Needed a new wiring harness.
I traded it in for a ‘19 elite (no other 3rd row compared) and so far it’s been great. I do think they wired it wrong because the heated/cooled seats don’t turn off automatically when I turn the car off (unlike my 16) only have 2500 miles currently so we shall see what else comes up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear All,

I have 2017 Honda Pilot and let me say for the record that I will never trade Honda for any model type of vehicle except when moving from this thresh hold to real sick' German vehicles like the RS6 RS8 et al.
I haven't any issues with my vehicle.

I kindly wanna enquire if the from of the 2019 can be fit unto the 2017- the fenders, the bonnet, the bumpers and the headlights pls?
Pls can these fit the 2017 model pls?
THank you all and have an amazing week

Brgds

GS Tetteh from Ghana

·
Registered
98 Posts
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD just clocked 12,000 miles. Trouble-free experience so far. The only issue is crackling noise from the stereo once in a while, which I am going to report at 15K service.

In general, Honda dropped in quality from being @2 in 2001 to #14 these days. It is still better than many domestic manufacturers. By the way, many Honda vehicles including Pilot have the highest content of US-made parts. the problem is that there are not many options for a better replacement vehicle. Toyota/Lexus does not have a comparable AWD system and other manufactures are not better quality. Poor quality seems to be the curse these days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have 2016 EX-L AWD currently 42K miles. In 2017 I drove it to Arch National Park, Utah, full loaded with 8ppl and roof rack and we love it! Anyway, so far NO MAJOR ENGINE ISSUES. I just replaced the original tires with Goodyear AccuWeather - ready for snow!

What I HATE about my first pilot is the following:
  • TSBs which was replaced but still not perfect
  • bad FM frequency
  • UGLY infotainment center & NOT user friendly, NO CarPlay (this is odd as there's carplay for 2016 civic).
  • the Digital Speedometer went totally 'BLANK' one time and I couldn't see how fast I drive unless I use the Waze App. Thank goodness I was still at warranty and the dealer replace it for FREE.

I hope for NO more electronic issues :) I plan to keep this car until I retire at age 55.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lots of trouble with the Gen3 reported by our fellow Piloteers… TSBs, Direct Injection issues, lots more. I first had a 16' EX-L with too many issues to list - bought it new. I traded it for a new 2017 Touring because I thought "surely" my 16' must have been an anomaly. But my 17' has had its own issues, rear suspension noise that disabled it for a month while our dealer attempted to fix it, a wobbly hood (covered by a TSB), bizarre malfunctions of our Infotainment system and some other things.

SO - my question is this:
Who out there is having a superb, trouble-free, happy experience with their Gen3 Pilot? Are all Hondas of the future going present their owners with (lack of) quality that will prevent them from being long-term vehicles that will last 150k or more? Given the issues on my 16' EX-L and my 17' Touring, it would seem that the Gen3 Pilots just aren't up to the quality level we have expected from Honda in the past.

Our Honda history:
I have 120k on my wife's 2010 Odyssey which we bought new. Other than routine maintenance, it's never been in the shop for anything that has "broken" or "failed" due to lousy design or weak parts. To say it's bulletproof is an understatement. We had a 2006 Odyssey (same body style) that gave us similar trouble-free service through 180k (we replaced an alternator - that's all). I sold it to a relative who is still driving it every day at north of 240k. We've had 4 Accords, two CR-Vs, a Civic and an Element. All built to last. No real trouble with any of them. Then... the two Gen3 Pilots. Two vehicles in a row that I can't truly trust.

How about you?
Does anyone have a Gen 3 with high trouble-free miles? Does anyone have a Gen 3 that hasn't had a warranty claim or issue related to questionable design, build quality or cheap components?

Thanks in advance to everyone - looking forward to seeing your responses.
Brad
Zero issues in 3 years and 30k miles.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts