Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 EX with 2WD. Does it have a Transfer Assembly on the Transmission/Drive Shaft???

The maintenance minder code in my owners manual shows that I need to change the transfer-case fluid along with the AFT when I get a B3 code. In anticipation of that blessed event I crawled under the vehicle this afternoon and took a look see as I was rotating the tires. Oil pan bolt ... check! AFT pan bolt ... check! Transfer Assembly pan bolt ... uhm, still scrolling :frown:. Beginning to wonder if that contraption is only attached to the tranny on AWD vehicles???

Hey, we're all allowed to ask a dumb question once in our life, and after 66 years I decided it was finally time for me to do that. 0:)

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
Is there a footnote or equivalent saying transfer case on 4wd models only?
There should be! Just a simple auto box to final drive on FWD.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but the footnote after "change transfer-case fluid" says change fluid every 15K miles if driven in "urban areas with high concentration of soot in the air from industry or diesel powered vehicles." No reference to AWD. The specification page also shows to use Honda HG0-1 Transfer Assembly Fluid. I'm assuming it is there, I just don't see it. Either that, or the owners manual is generic for all models in the Pilot lineup, and not specific for the particular one purchased. What is equally frustrating however, is that when I look at the location drawings downloaded from Service Express for a '16 EX 2WD vehicle, I see the attached. They show the assembly attached to the transmission next to the exhaust pipe, but for the life of me I don't see any of that stuff under my vehicle. I may have to stop by the service desk and ask my local dealer next time I'm out running errands.

Line art White Head Text Arm

Diagram Line

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stopped by the Honda dealer this afternoon. They told me a 2WD vehicle does not have the transfer case. That only comes on the AWD. The owners manual covers both 2WD and AWD vehicles, which is what was confusing me. Thanks for the help.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the post... Was very confused... I have a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L (2wd)... Was killing myself looking for the drain plug for the transfer case. With your post and a call to the dealer, for this particular Pilot, the Transmission fluid does all of the lubricating... Thanks...

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the post... Was very confused... I have a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L (2wd)... Was killing myself looking for the drain plug for the transfer case. With your post and a call to the dealer, for this particular Pilot, the Transmission fluid does all of the lubricating... Thanks...
Linked is the picture from my AWD if it helps any Transfer Assembly

@Nail Grease has a 2WD in Texas and is often working on these things. Maybe he can verify with a picture or details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts