Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this today as I was walking towards my car from behind in a parking lot. There's this "ring" onto which you can hook something right underneath the bumper on the leftside, but I didn't find one on the right side. I took a look underneath on both sides and seems the holes are already drilled on the rightside, but that ring is not attached at all.

I don't have a towing package installed, is that why I only have one or am I just missing one? If the former, I'm rather curious as to why there's even one to begin with or if the latter, should the dealer be install the missing one for me? As well, what would those hooks be used for normally? Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tow Ring?

I think you will find the ony real purpose for that ring is to provide a safe and secure point that can be used to secure the vehicle while it is being transported.

Yes, it can also be used as a tow ring, and every pilot I have seen has just the one.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tibbitts said:
Tow Ring?

I think you will find the ony real purpose for that ring is to provide a safe and secure point that can be used to secure the vehicle while it is being transported.

Yes, it can also be used as a tow ring, and every pilot I have seen has just the one.
Ahhh, I see. Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yep, one big ring on the left, rear corner and a smaller one in front. They are tow hooks which can be used for "light recovery" if you are stuck off-road.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
2003 Owner's Manual

From page 266 Off-Highway Driving Guidelines

If You Get Stuck
"If you are unable to free yourself, you will need to be pulled out by another vehicle. Your Pilot is equipped with front and rear tow hooks designed for this purpose."

It just doesn't specifically say there's only one in the front and one in the back...:(

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Pilot doesn't have the rear tow hook. That's not to say that it's missing; actually, it's on a shelf in the garage. You have to remove it to install the tow hitch.

·
Registered
288 Posts
RipRocK said:
I just noticed this today as I was walking towards my car from behind in a parking lot. There's this "ring" onto which you can hook something right underneath the bumper on the leftside, but I didn't find one on the right side. I took a look underneath on both sides and seems the holes are already drilled on the rightside, but that ring is not attached at all.

I don't have a towing package installed, is that why I only have one or am I just missing one? If the former, I'm rather curious as to why there's even one to begin with or if the latter, should the dealer be install the missing one for me? As well, what would those hooks be used for normally? Thanks.
RipRock,how in the world Pilots have rings while they have no fingers???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Do your Pilots have only one ring as well?

baoloclamdong said:

RipRock,how in the world Pilots have rings while they have no fingers???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Well, there are some rings used out there which aren't meant to go on any fingers at all-it's meant for another appendage :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have 2 tow rings... one with a diamond and one without.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Do your Pilots have only one ring as well?

RipRocK said:

Well, there are some rings used out there which aren't meant to go on any fingers at all-it's meant for another appendage :D
YOu know that I was just teasing.My RedRock has only 1 ring on its rear as well

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: Re: Do your Pilots have only one ring as well?

baoloclamdong said:
YOu know that I was just teasing.My RedRock has only 1 ring on its rear as well
Oh, I know, I know, that's why I put that big smiley at the end.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Do your Pilots have only one ring as well?

RipRocK said:

You mean the nose, right??? ;)

Not gonna take any chances with other pictures! :14: :p

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
My Honda CRX has only one ring too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told that while those rings can certainly be used for the purpose stated in the manual, they are actually installed on the vehicle for tie down points during transportation between the factory and wherever they're shipped to via truck or ship.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts