Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
117 Posts
I turn off the engine, then turn the key back two positions so that all the gauges are operating...smarter than leaving the engine running.
Most rental cars today have push button ignitions.

Sorry but your method would not work.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
This thread is a REAL eye opener.

You've got to be kidding me. People routinely leave their vehicle motor RUNNING while refueling?

Are you on a race track then, and in for a quick pit?

NO WHERE are there ANY instructions to leave a vehicles motor running WHILE refueling. IIRC, they explicitly state the EXACT OPPOSITE. There are usually signs posted, etc.

No where. Show me the link then.

* I had to delete this parts about peoples attitudes on my proofread before posting.

Who started this thread anyways

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
This thread is a REAL eye opener.

You've got to be kidding me. People routinely leave their vehicle motor RUNNING while refueling?

Are you on a race track then, and in for a quick pit?

NO WHERE are there ANY instructions to leave a vehicles motor running WHILE refueling. IIRC, they explicitly state the EXACT OPPOSITE. There are usually signs posted, etc.

No where. Show me the link then.

* I had to delete this parts about peoples attitudes on my proofread before posting.

Who started this thread anyways
I'm pretty sure @Nail Grease is actually this guy...

Reactions: mschflbn

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just turn the engine off and take out the keys for several reasons -
One is I am taking no chances when it comes to fire safety.
Two is because where I live, prepay is a must and I use cash meaning I have to go in.
We have enough crime here that I do not want to tempt any would-be car thieves with my luxurious daily driver - a 95 Corolla with a stick and plenty of rust.

Plus folks, there is another safety factor that no one has mentioned - never mind any gasoline explosion. What if some Karen explodes when she sees you in the act of fueling with the engine running? Don't say you were not warned.

On a side note. Someone did catch their boat on fire at a local Walmart gas pump. Not sure how they did it but I hope is was not running :unsure:
WHY do weird things always happen at Walmart? I mean it is like, if something bizarre happens, Walmart is somehow involved. Heh, that could be it's own thread. I tell ya. Almost as common as when there is family drama and the mother in law is involved.

I shut it off, don't want to waste any of what I'm paying for.
Good a reason as any.

This is why I always leave the engine running...

View attachment 150169
Cars in movies have a danger sensor that prevent the engine from starting if something good might happen like the driver's life will be saved.
Also about BTTF - Obviously Doc miscalculated the timing because if the engine HAD been running when the alarm clock went off, Marty would have hit the power line several seconds too soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Couple of reasons to shut the engine off. First of all, it’s against the law. When I learned to drive in the ‘60s, we were told to shut it off so the engine doesn’t suck fuel while the gas was stirring up in the tank, possibly pulling water or dirt into the filter. Lastly, the fuel attendant won’t fill with the engine running. Oh, yeah, I live in Jersey. Against the law to fill yourself!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh, yeah, I live in Jersey. Against the law to fill yourself!
What is the price of gas there? Here it is between $3 and $3.25 for 87 (lowest octane) depending on the store.

I think in my city, it is illegal if a gas station doesn't have at least one pan handler hanging around. Less fancy stations have at least one meth addict.

I do NOT leave the keys in the car when fueling and paying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the price of gas there? Here it is between $3 and $3.25 for 87 (lowest octane) depending on the store.

I think in my city, it is illegal if a gas station doesn't have at least one pan handler hanging around. Less fancy stations have at least one meth addict.

I do NOT leave the keys in the car when fueling and paying.
Here it’s the same. Central Jersey. Between $3.03 and $3.19. $3.50 (Exxon).

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I don't know... I need to fill up to get where I'm going and have no control over how much they are charging, so I don't fret over such things.

I also have a 3 mile each way commute, so maybe I'd care more if I were doing my old 30 mile each way commute.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
For years as a younger cheap bastard, I used to fret and calculate which station to go to and when and anything I could think of to save at the pump.

I think one of the reasons is that the price is displayed in huge numbers by the side of the road all over town and parts in between. If they did that with electricity or toilet paper or taxes or Big Macs or funerals, we'd all be more uptight about their price than we are, too.

Now, I have a different approach:

Gas is gas.

It goes up, it does down. Fill up when you need some, and try to combine trips when practical.

And can we dispense with the vestigial appendage of how many tenths of a cent already?

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
And can we dispense with the vestigial appendage of how many tenths of a cent already?
.9 at the end of the gas price per gallon is just insane now, when a U.S. penny can't buy anything. Stop the insanity.
Now how much does it cost for a pint of gasoline?

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Annnnnnnnd Tesla revoked your supercharger privileges 😂 charge your car at home peasant!
Oh snap!
Forgot to read the fine print when buying a Tesla. No giving negative publicity on the internet.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
159 Posts
Oh snap!
Forgot to read the fine print when buying a Tesla. No giving negative publicity on the internet.
And no buying a 2nd hand Tesla and fixing it yourself. Once they detect your vin number good bye supercharger privileges.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts