Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
1- In many states, it is illegal to leave a car running while fueling, and/or if you're not at the wheel.
2- I don't know if it will cause major damage, but the fuel system is a closed loop with sensors. You're not doing your car any favors leaving it running with the cap off.
3- Cars don't explode "Hollywood-style", BUT the big problem is the fumes being ignited by a static electricity spark as you insert or remove the nozzle in the tank. Most people have the involuntary reaction to squeeze the handle (which obviously gets the gas flowing) and try to move away from the flames. This turns the nozzle into a flamethrower. NOBODY will like you when you ALL get coated with flame retardant!
4- You DEFINITELY don't want to have to pay for the HAZMAT cleanup if you overfill. You thought a gallon of gas was getting expensive!

These are four good reasons to shut your car off, but people will do what they do for their own reasons. I managed a gas station for about 18 months, and saw a bigger spill (couple gallons), countless "minor" overflows, and one "flamethrower" where a guy almost set someone else on fire as I hit the "FIRE" button. (Our system was automatic, but I didn't want to let a flaming human get hot enough to set it off...)

·
Registered
2014 EX-L - Dark Amber Metallic
69 Posts
When refueling a rental car for return, I keep it on to fuel no more than is necessary. Don’t want to want to leave more gas than I took off with.
I turn off the engine, then turn the key back two positions so that all the gauges are operating...smarter than leaving the engine running.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
I've been to Atlanta and the weather was beautiful. 😎
You should have bought a lottery ticket then because there are only 3 nice weather days in Atlanta and being there on one of those days is like winning the lottery.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I found this to be an interesting discussion on the Accord forum. No, I don't believe our modern cars pose a threat leaving it running at the pump but it's a good rule.
Why would anyone leave a vehicle running at the pump anyway aside from a dead battery? Gas is $4/gallon in California now. Highest gas prices and gas taxes in America. Potholes everywhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Doesn't the new Pilots engine shut off automatically when it comes to a stop anyway?
Only when I forget to push the button to disable idle stop. :cool:

I always have shut my car off when refueling. I seem to recall gas station attendants wanted the engine off as they always checked the oil. Once I started using self-service gas stations, I saw no reason not to shut off the engine. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
1- In many states, it is illegal to leave a car running while fueling, and/or if you're not at the wheel.
Same here in QC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't shut mine off unless I am going to leave it to walk inside. Not many years ago I turned my old GMC off to walk inside and it would not start when I went back out. So, there I am beside the gas pump hooking up jumper cables...:oops:

On a side note. Someone did catch their boat on fire at a local Walmart gas pump. Not sure how they did it but I hope is was not running :unsure:
Boats need the internal blower running to rid of fumes especially if it's a inboard engine.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Is the border open, again, or did he sneak across?
Nope, and it may be awhile. As much as some US pols and proles would like it to reopen, gonna have to keep jonsing for that authentic caribou steak with a side of poutine.

https://www.saratogian.com/news/loc...cle_c9b66bae-de8f-11eb-9458-0341297ec298.html

Dozens of U.S. congressional members urge Biden to reopen border

Canada will not open its border to non-essential, unvaccinated visitors for quite a while, Trudeau says

Bide your time with that clam chaddah and your second dose, @xGS. :p

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
I turn mine off. I have once or twice kept my work car running when I refuel but I couldn't keep doing it because it made me feel weird. Sometimes I'll turn my car back to the accessory position so I can jam out to tunes whilst I fill up. I only keep the gas pump in the slowest auto fill tab. Something in my brain thinks it will make the gas pressure inside less and actually put more fuel in. I really have no logical reason to think that. 😂

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I only keep the gas pump in the slowest auto fill tab.
I do this so if the pump is slow on the auto shut off, gas doesn't gush out all over me, the vehicle and have a mess to clean up. There is logic to using the slowest setting. 😁👍

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
I do this so if the pump is slow on the auto shut off, gas doesn't gush out all over me, the vehicle and have a mess to clean up. There is logic to using the slowest setting. 😁👍
So apparently you are do not feel the need to use the performance pump at the gas station since you going nice and slow to be safe. ;)

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So apparently you are do not feel the need to use the performance pump at the gas station since you going nice and slow to be safe. ;)
I often let people in then pass them asap. 😜

41 - 60 of 98 Posts