Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,570 Posts
I always knew you’re supposed to have the car off while fueling but I had no idea you’re supposed to wait outside the car while it’s fueling. Oops.
If I’m on a road trip I’ll use that time to go inside and buy some food or use the restroom.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Very good points!
when I started driving, I got in the habit of turning off the engine mainly because of all the warning signs at the pump. then I used that refueling time waiting (20 gallon tank Jeep) to pop the hood and check the oil and fluid levels, inspect the hoses and belt, look for leaks, etc...
if someone is worried about the vehicle's ability to start back up, maybe they should refrain from driving until that issue is resolved? also, people forget the modern vehicle's emission system is monitored by the ECU while running and opening up the normally closed fuel system can potentially cause the engine light to appear on the dash. also, no one should be going back into their vehicle while it's filling it because remember you are responsible for any and all spills that occur so stay close by incase something happens and you can quickly respond.
I normally check the oil and fluids so it gets shut off. Both my kids are in the same habit, wife....not so much. One of the joys of some older vehicles to keep them rolling.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
The stations I frequent it is not a problem if someone doesn't turn their vehicle off. Here our state adopted the IFC codes into the state laws. Since we are a self serve state, if an attendant observes someone fueling or attempting to fuel a vehicle that is running the will shut down that persons pump. About the only time you see someone around here leaving their engine on is if they are from out of state. They get ticked off sometimes, but they quickly realize that no station will let them fuel up with their vehicle on.

Also per the NFPA act

NFPA 30A, 9.2.5.1 Sources of Ignition. Smoking materials, including matches and lighters, shall not be used within 6 m (20 ft) of areas used for fueling, serving fuel systems of internal combustion engines, or receiving or dispensing of Class I and Class II liquids. The motors of all equipment being fueled shall shut off during the fueling operation except for emergency generators, pumps, and so forth, where continuing operation is essential.

Around here, the stations take is seriously and pay attention to vehicles being fueled. The person not turning off their vehicle can be fined and the station will be fined if they are caught.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Keep her running so you can watch the needle go up, stick the nozzle in, unleash that flow, shove your gas cap in the handle so it keeps flowing hands-free, which then allows you to have a shot of gin and a smoke while taking a break from driving.
Good times.

Disclaimer: Don't actually do this.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I don't care if the guy next to me has his vehicle running for fear of an explosion. I don't like the loud diesel trucks running, especially when being choked out with exhaust fumes.
Yea I'm with you. As I get older I can barely tolerate the smell of diesel exhaust, makes me feel sick. And the station I go to most of the time has diesel at each pump.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yea I'm with you. As I get older I can barely tolerate the smell of diesel exhaust, makes me feel sick. And the station I go to most of the time has diesel at each pump.
My tinnitus is already bad. The loud diesel engines running under the canopy, I honestly can't hear a thing unless your yelling.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If we really want to be concerned about gas vapors, this is by far the most dangerous situation... these containers are why as a GC we had to check our subs gas cans twice a day to make sure they were the OSHA approved style that don't vent and take 25 minutes to dispense 5 gallons.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
This has GOT to be one of the more ridiculous threads I've read in a long time.
I KNOW I lost at least 85 IQ points just reading thru this!

FWIW- unless I KNOW the car is having problems starting; I ALWAYS shut the car off! Are you ___ kidding me with this? You can't be serious!

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

FWIW- unless I KNOW the car is having problems starting; I ALWAYS shut the car off! Are you ___ kidding me with this? You can't be serious!
Lol.
It's funny how such a question can invoke such strong feelings.
To conform, obey, acknowledge or not.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

Is it any coincidence that the same person started this thread:
Why Are You A Piloteer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always shut off my vehicle before refueling it.

There was the one time when one of the battery cables had worked loose and the Pilot would not restart after refueling.
As I sat there in the car at one of the pumps waiting for AAA to arrive, I got some nasty looks - especially from some guy with a BMW.
Beemer driver should've helped by pushing you to a parking space instead of glaring! Lol!

21 - 40 of 98 Posts