Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this to be an interesting discussion on the Accord forum. No, I don't believe our modern cars pose a threat leaving it running at the pump but it's a good rule.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sometimes I like to watch the needle climb up. I had a bad battery a couple times and didn't want to turn the car off until I got home to charge it. If it's hot the A/C is desired to keep running.

So if I don't want to, I don't turn my car off and I don't feel any greater risk of anything 'bad' happening.

One time I was working on a forklift, on the battery. I don't remember how it happened but the battery acid or maybe ether someone was spraying caught on fire. My buddy grabbed a jug and poured it all over the battery but it didn't put the fire out. It was diesel, lol, not water, and it didn't have any impact on the fire whatsoever. I don't know if water would have put it out either, lol. I think there was an extinguisher or maybe someone threw dirt on it to put it out.

Anyway yah things can ignite, but not like a big explosion in a movie. There's so many dumb people around, if things blew up as easy as it looks in movies, gas stations would get destroyed as often as car accidents in rush hour.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: Cousin Itt

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
No. Never have, likely never will.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No that difficult to understand how gas vapors work and not have issues. Bring it on.
I don't care if the guy next to me has his vehicle running for fear of an explosion. I don't like the loud diesel trucks running, especially when being choked out with exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't shut mine off unless I am going to leave it to walk inside. Not many years ago I turned my old GMC off to walk inside and it would not start when I went back out. So, there I am beside the gas pump hooking up jumper cables...:oops:

On a side note. Someone did catch their boat on fire at a local Walmart gas pump. Not sure how they did it but I hope is was not running :unsure:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Reading that other thread talking about idling cars making other customers breathe fumes.

Dude the gas line at costco, just the parking lot itself, you couldn't have more idling cars in a big group unless you built a parking lot for two costcos next door to each other and one double-size parking lot full of idling cars, and dozens of cars in the same line waiting to get gas at an 8-lane 3-pump-per lane super station.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
I always shut off my vehicle before refueling it.

There was the one time when one of the battery cables had worked loose and the Pilot would not restart after refueling.
As I sat there in the car at one of the pumps waiting for AAA to arrive, I got some nasty looks - especially from some guy with a BMW.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
My vehicle(s) are turned OFF during refueling no matter how hot or cold, rain or shine. Turning off the vehicle makes sense especially when you're no longer in control of the vehicle. It also removes a variable against carjacking, robbery, spills and exhaust fumes in a crowded area. On some of my vehicles the key for the locking gas cap is on the key ring....LOL
P.S...riding mower and push mowers are turned OFF during refueling too

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Generally the public handles refueling safely and most drivers do turn the engine OFF but I do watch for any gross incompetence among my fellow humanoids. Seen fuel spills from people that set the pump and walk away, pumps that fail to shut off (defective or jammed with the gas cap) or pumps that pop out of the filler neck or those that take a cigarette break a few feet away. Sometimes I think its a bit hazardous to fill up the tank.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
My vehicle(s) are turned OFF during refueling no matter how hot or cold, rain or shine. Turning off the vehicle makes sense especially when you're no longer in control of the vehicle. It also removes a variable against carjacking, robbery, spills and exhaust fumes in a crowded area. On some of my vehicles the key for the locking gas cap is on the key
Keyless entry and ignition can change that situation.

I recall a recent local news report about someone who was carjacked while refueling.
Although the car was "off", a perpetrator was able to sneak in through the unlocked passenger door, start the vehicle while the owner was standing along side it after refueling while waiting for the pump to print a receipt, and drive away.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Generally the public handles refueling safely and most drivers do turn the engine OFF but I do watch for any gross incompetence among my fellow humanoids. Seen fuel spills from people that set the pump and walk away, pumps that fail to shut off (defective or jammed with the gas cap) or pumps that pop out of the filler neck or those that take a cigarette break a few feet away. Sometimes I think its a bit hazardous to fill up the tank.
99% of the time, I turn mine off too. If it's really hot and someone is with me I may leave mine on. Especially if Billy Bob shows up in his diesel. If you roll your window down, your sure to get choked out.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
117 Posts
I found this to be an interesting discussion on the Accord forum. No, I don't believe our modern cars pose a threat leaving it running at the pump but it's a good rule.
Owned cars I turn off at gas pump.

When refueling a rental car for return, I keep it on to fuel no more than is necessary.

Don’t want to want to leave more gas than I took off with.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
I don't believe our modern cars pose a threat leaving it running at the pump but it's a good rule.
when I started driving, I got in the habit of turning off the engine mainly because of all the warning signs at the pump. then I used that refueling time waiting (20 gallon tank Jeep) to pop the hood and check the oil and fluid levels, inspect the hoses and belt, look for leaks, etc...
if someone is worried about the vehicle's ability to start back up, maybe they should refrain from driving until that issue is resolved? also, people forget the modern vehicle's emission system is monitored by the ECU while running and opening up the normally closed fuel system can potentially cause the engine light to appear on the dash. also, no one should be going back into their vehicle while it's filling it because remember you are responsible for any and all spills that occur so stay close by incase something happens and you can quickly respond.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when I started driving, I got in the habit of turning off the engine mainly because of all the warning signs at the pump. then I used that time waiting (20 gallon tank Jeep) to pop the hook and check the oil and fluid levels, inspect the hoses and belt, look for leaks, etc...
if someone is worried about the vehicle's ability to start back up, maybe they should refrain from driving until that issue is resolved? also, people forget the modern vehicle's emission system is monitored by the ECU while running and opening up the normally closed fuel system can potentially cause the engine light to appear on the dash. also, no one should be going back into their vehicle while it's filling it because remember you are responsible for any and all spills that occur so stay close by incase something happens and you can quickly respond.
Very good points!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts