Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in an accident last week. We are still waiting for insurance to bring car to their mechanics to determine repair costs but I wanted to see what some of ya'll think.

A line of cars stopped short. The car behind me wasn't paying attention and hit us, causing us to hit the car in front, which caused them to hit the car in front of them. Luckily only minor injuries. The impact caused the spare tire to shoot out from underneath. Both front airbags were deployed. It's a 2020 with around 30K miles. I have a feeling that they will repair but wanted to see if any of you had a similar experience and what the outcome was. I know that I just want to wait for the insurance appraisers to do their thing, but I'm sitting here anxiously waiting...
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant
Sky Cloud Hood Window Automotive tire
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,580 Posts
First thing I’d do is file under my on insurance to get the ball rolling faster. They can settle with the other parties insurance company.

The rear damage is quite significant, is there any buckling in the roof?

If you asked me this question 3 years ago, I’d have said yes to it being totaled, but it seems that these days with the high cost of good used vehicles, they just might attempt to repair.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD, rack, boards, hitch 2007 EX-L AWD Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V EX-L AWD, rack
176 Posts
Reminds me of Christmas Day when my Dad’s Lexus ES and his next door neighbor’s Pilot were both parked and were totaled in a hit and run! Hopefully yours is not totaled! In addition to roof line damage, I’d be worried about what that damage looks like underneath. I agree with NG though that the insurer may try to fix it but airbag deployment always seems to trigger big bucks in repairs!

Glad you’re okay!

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
213 Posts
Glad you are okay!!

this question would depend on the insurer and policy, specifically regarding replacement parts. Some stipulate oem replacement and reman part only if oem is not readily available. Some stipulate reman, refurb, and am parts ok.

definitely a repair cost difference given the two above scenarios.

·
Registered
22 Pilot SE, 20 GLE 350, 06 Civic EX
176 Posts
Front and rear damage, airbag deployment, plus deprecation loss. I suspect it will be totaled. If not, make sure you get depreciation…the car will not have a clean CARFAX, and will be worth less than the same car with a clean CARFAX—their insurance should pay you the difference—-make sure they do.

·
Registered
2007 EX 4WD
427 Posts
I'm actually hearing that insurance companies are totaling cars more frequently since the pandemic. The issue will likely be that they offer you a settlement that is unreasonably low. The replacement cost of your Pilot is probably near what you paid for it new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm actually hearing that insurance companies are totaling cars more frequently since the pandemic. The issue will likely be that they offer you a settlement that is unreasonably low. The replacement cost of your Pilot is probably near what you paid for it new.
Good point, recommend research using CARFAX. Look up “certified” Pilots that are identical to yours in a 200 mile radius that have a clean CARFAX. Know the retail spread in your area so you will know if you get low balled, and you can demand a fair market price.

·
Registered
102 Posts
why are there zero brake / skid lines leading into the car infront of you. so close? or ? if it was me i would attempt to buy the pilot off where ever they total it to.. it doesnt look like it has much damage but it seems they always total in airbag deployed plus decent amount of damage. super new car sorry for your loss :( this stuff sucks.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD, rack, boards, hitch 2007 EX-L AWD Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V EX-L AWD, rack
176 Posts
Hopefully your insurance company will do you right on the valuation especially given the used car market right now! Make sure to get all the comps you can and provide not just your window sticker but proof and receipts for any accessories/aftermarket parts and receipts for work done. I’ve done this three times in the past 8 months (mine, my dad’s and my sister’s boyfriend) and know that your own insurer is often better, faster and easier to deal with on a total loss. Good luck!

Reactions: TexAg91

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, work the replacement vehicle through your insurance company. They will then get reimbursed by the responsible insurance company since it’s not your fault. You should have no deductible, and it should not count against your policy. Recommend you call and speak with them about your next step and good luck. Good news is no one was hurt, and the Pilot can be replaced.

Also ask for compensation for the sales tax…why should you have to pay sales tax when you already paid it on your previous vehicle that was totaled.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In PA, insurers are required to pay sales tax and registration fees for a total loss. Additionally, it would be nice if you were also compensated for some standard amount of “other fees” you will invariably have to pay unless you buy a replacement car from a private owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts