Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I've seen some complaints posted on Pilot forums on paint, gas tank, brake, window noise, etc. I started to have second thoughts on my Pilot purchase.

Do you truly like the Pilot without any buyers remorse? I am going to have mine delivered this weekend but I can still cancel it and the only cost is $100 on cancellation fee.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would cxl and buy a Trailblazer instead...

·
Registered
191 Posts
The pros FAR outweigh the cons, but that is just MY opinion!! :29: :29:
I had a whistling sound from the crossbars on my EX, but this was quickly remedied by the dealer when they reinstalled them facing the correct direction. Other than that, no issues to report! :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Love it

1600 miles, no problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buy the MDX :D :D :D
'03 will be the third year in production so most of the bugs have been worked out :4: :4:

Very happy with mine. Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Love my Pilot

I love my Pilot. Great vehicle! Even got one of the early numbers and most of the problems discussed do not appear on my vehicle. Think you are seeing a concentration of issues on the forum that are a small percentage of all the Pilots out there. Besides, the little issues are nothing when you know you are avoiding the big ones that other manufacturers have a reputation for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very happy with my Pilot

I've had the Pilot for over 2 months now. No second thoughts or remorse. Check out this website to see how many problems other people have with other cars/SUV's:

www.carreview.com

·
Registered
290 Posts
OK, so everyone agrees that all of the identified issues are minor. Does that really answer your question? No. Everyone is leaving out a critical element. This is a BRAND NEW VEHICLE.

No one on this board or anywhere on the face of this earth can tell you how reliable this vehicle WILL be. That is the biggest reason I can think for not buying one at this point. We can all guess and assume that it will be like other Honda vehicles and like the vehicles that it shares its heritage from, but it is not a guarantee, it is a gamble (but I think the cards are stacked in our favor).

You have to be comfortable with that fact. If you can handle that, then the little nit picky things listed here are nothing. Understand that you are volunteering to be a guinea pig. Yes, I am one of the guinea pigs, and I am enjoying it. But it isn't for everyone. You have to realize tht you are asking a group of people who have already made that decision, so most will pull you in, not push you away. I'm not trying to push you away, I'm just trying to point out what your real concern should be.

I was very happy with my new Jeep Grand Cherokee up until about 45k miles. If you had asked me before then I would have told you that it was a great vehicle and go buy it. Now..., well, I wouldn't try to convince my worst enemy to buy one (well, ok, maybe my worst enemy, but not the next to worst).

Given that info, I love my Pilot and I highly recommend it. But my opinion could change in a year.

Waiting never hurts if you can. Vehicles usually get better with newer model years. The kinks will get worked out and new features may be added. It is just like buying a computer. You can buy the newest model, and it may be cool, but sure enough the next one will be better and cooler. Even the Accord, which is what, 25-30 years old now, still continues to get better. My In-Laws buy a new Accord every 2 to 3 years and they are always commenting on how much better it gets.

I think the Pilot has more problems than a new vehicle should. But, it has a lot less issues than most first model year vehicles have. This is the sixth brand new vehicle I have ever bought, but the first time I bought a first model year vehicle. And from my experience, the Pilot has had more problems in the first two months than any of my other new vehicles. However, I expected it, so it hasn't disappointed me. I am actually impressed that they have been such minor issues. Hopefully it stays that way. As I stated before, my biggest concern is what its future reliability will be, as there is no way to judge that.

And the issues that I have found have little to do with this site (as other have alluded to some group panic mentality). I found most of my issues before I ever came across this site (though I do not have the scrunch, whistle, or clicking noises others reported). And this site has just made me aware that there are some that I hadn't noticed before (like the paint issue which doesn't bother me, but think I am glad to be aware of). As a matter of fact, it was in researching my issues that I found this site.

My bet is that the Pilot will have less "serious" issues in the long run. I am hoping that I win that bet.

So, my vote is... Make up your own mind. Don't listen to us. What the hell do we know!

·
Registered
61 Posts
BUY!!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and some folks would complain if the only thing wrong was that the color was the wrong shade. It's all up to you and what kind of research you've done, and how comfortable YOU are with the decision that you've made.

I don't regret at all buying my Pilot. I had a Passport that up until 60K was an OK vehicle. Had friends that have Trailblazers that are in the shop more than out. The Highlander is $2-4K more and no where as nice as the Pilot.

You won't go wrong and if you don't like it, there will be PLENTY of buyers that would take it off your hands.

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lease if Wary....

We have about 1000 miles on our Pilot. It has operated flawlessly since the day we picked it up. I was also a little concerned that I was getting a "brand new" model.

But I figure that its based on the Acura MDX, so major mechanical issues are probably already ironed out. We haven't had any of the trifles reported here. I also believe that some folks are a bit too touchy on the subject. There are buyers that will never accept that mechanical devices (machines) do occasionally function within design parameters, but aren't perfect!

Lastly, we decided to lease becasue we wanted the option of dumping the car if it turned out to be a lemon. If its as reliable as our CR-V was...then we will buy at the end of the lease. I can add, I know leasing is not as cost effective as a purchase. But we wanted the "insurance" of not being burned if there were big problems. We took out a 36 month/36K lease. The entire vehicle will still be covered under the warranty while we have it.

Go ahead and pick yours up....and enjoy:2:

·
Registered
335 Posts
The difference is, if this were a Trailblazer site or an Explorer site, you would be reading about tires exploding or engines failing or transmission not going in reverse. Then on top of that you'd be reading how you had to bring it back to the dealer 5 or 6 times, getting major attitide each time. I've been there, my family has been there...its NOT pretty!!!

Okay, so my headliner is cut 1/4" too short where it meets the windshield, I had rust around the rear hatch which turned out to be lube, the lumbar adjustment isn't the greatest, it didn't come with rear mudgards(wo is me!). You know what it took ONE trip to the dealer to correct. The difference being that a GM or Ford dealer would laugh at our pickiness and say it "Don't get any better...(next sucker)"!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When MDX first came out in 2001, there are BUGS on it. But it still took me 7 months of waiting time to get a 'X. Too many people love MDX.

Pilot is in production almost 2 years after MDX and it is built on MDX's plateform. I am sure Honda has minimized the BUGS on the Pilot. So you should go for Pilot if you really like it.

Most people on this form will report problem on this car, even it is MINOR one. So........ it is your choice..

Good Luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Pilot is Coming!!!!!!!!

:2: I just got the word from my dealer that my Pilot is being delivered to our door this afternoon. He has been tracking it for about a week and early this morning we weren't sure where it was and then it showed up on the truck. Just in time for our trip to Maine late today! It's the Pilot EX and it's Black with cloth interior. I'll let you know how it does on the trip.

·
Banned
13 Posts
my pilot has the standard 357hp and 200 torqe but the but the car phone doesn't work as well as I would like and mine only came with one moon roof

·
Banned
13 Posts
my pilot is leaking on the overhead monafold that conects with the cfc air control the heating duct almost was blown of because the fiter could not control the speed ao air flow

·
Registered
486 Posts
uh, Marco, what are you doing with those potatoes in Idaho- moonshining vodka?!

·
Registered
919 Posts
My guess is he is referring to the other Honda Pilot shown here: http://www.honda-pilot.com/

Just having a bit of fun I guess. Although, you could be right about the potatos...

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just came back from a 1000 mile trip in the Pilot. We have had the clicking noise - fixed by the dealer as rec'd on this board - and we also have a mild case of window scrunching, mostly at 60-70 mph.

But I noticed that my expectations for the car were higher than for my Accord, my Odyssey, etc. I expect this car to be like a luxury vehicle and thus to be faultless. The amount of window rattle I'm experiencing would, on other makes, not be an issue compared to other, larger faults. The car is quiet inside and well finished inside and out, so I notice the smaller problems more. Relative perception in action.

We've found this car to be very easy to drive for long hours. It gets 20 mpg through the mountains at 75-80 mph. I can parallel park it in normal sized spots in strange cities. The stereo works well. The seats are very comfortable.

Are there things I'd change? Of course. I wish the wheel controls had an on/off for the radio. I wish the rubber mats covered the dead pedal. I know the plastic edges of the center divider will scratch. But this car is still an excellent performer and a good value.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Reality check

Based on the evidence I think your question (the original poster)
should be NOT "to buy or not to buy", but rather -- to buy today, or a
year from now.

This is a new vehicle, and it MUST have some (hopefully) minor bugs,
unavoidably. To those potato heads with the serial numbers in triple
digits and a "awful" squeaking window seals -- small reality check:
WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?!?:31: Do you know of ANY manufacturers, ANYWHERE in
the world making cars that sell at ANY price that are capable of
building a flawless first batch of 10,000 cars. Seriously now?! Maybe
a Bentley? A Roys? Perhaps a Maybach? You KNEW you were the guinea
pig, you KNEW (or should have known) you were taking a risk for the
pleasure of parading around with a vehicle no-one else yet has. Why
complain now?! As long as Honda service takes care of you -- you got