• Other (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DO you disable VCM? If so, How?

If your vehicle has VCM, please select the method you currently use to disable it.

Feel free to explain why. The pro's and con's you've found. Or if and why you chose not to....

Here are the methods I've come across so far, and their links...

VCMuzzler - VCMuzzler Info at Piloteers.org

VCMTUNER - VCMTUNER - How it Works

VCM Suppressor - DIY Kit Or Pre-Assembled - https://vcmsuppressor.blogspot.com/

S-VCM Controller - https://www.svcmcontroller.com/

VCM Disable - https://vcmdisable.com/index.html

VCM Disable Kit - DIY - VCM Disable Kit - DIY - ebay

VCM Disable Kit - Assembled - VCM Disable Kit - Assembled - ebay

I also included the optional answers;

Home Made Version or Kit (Explain)

Dealer or Service Update/Fix

No Action Taken

Other (In case I missed something)

Hope this helps others who are also looking!

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
After learning about the problems with VCM, and getting tired of the shudders my 2015 Pilot would make on the highway, I put the VCM disable 2 on. The shudders were especially noticeable if I was slowing down and had to accelerate suddenly. There was a check engine light (coolant temp circuit high voltage) when I first installed it, but I have a generic code reader that I used to clear the codes and it seems to be gone with no more CEL. No more ECO light, and no more shudders. Downshifts were much smoother without the distinct THUD. There was a slight drop in the temperature gauge, and the scan tool reports about a 14 degree drop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried making contact with some of the makers of these items. Some don't reply at all. I'm still debating which way to go, but after all my reading, I'm thinking I will be checking the VCMuzzler II box after next pay period.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed S-VCM on my recently acquired 2013 Honda Pilot with 46,000 miles. Although I just installed yesterday, I have no issues to report. It seems to be working from the get-go.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am using the VCM Muzzler. Just installed it about 3 weeks ago. Used my scan tool to keep an eye on my coolant temp and started out with the brown resister. Ended up using the orange/red one and have had no problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am using the VCM Muzzler. Just installed it about 3 weeks ago. Used my scan tool to keep an eye on my coolant temp and started out with the brown resister. Ended up using the orange/red one and have had no problems.
3rd gen with no problems with vibrations even after installing the red one? also have a 3rd gen - installed Blue then red and still slight vibrations on/off when cruising. Weird. Going to try the S-controller type to see what happens. Have only 14k miles on the Pilot (all driven by me).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3rd gen with no problems with vibrations even after installing the red one? also have a 3rd gen - installed Blue then red and still slight vibrations on/off when cruising. Weird. Going to try the S-controller type to see what happens. Have only 14k miles on the Pilot (all driven by me).
Let us know what you find you please. I still haven't pulled the trigger on any particular one...

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally bit the bullet and got the VCMuzzler. It's for my daughters 2012 Pilot I got her with 130k miles on it. I was putting off doing anything, even after researching the options, but the thought of what's going on in there always bothered me. Plus it seems to drink Oil.

I felt the who idea of ECO mode was great, but poorly executed. If maybe they made it so it could shut down all cylinders equally over time, it might make sense. Even then, it probably would have just made oil usage worse. Who knows. But to only do it to a few cylinders seems rather dumb....

Just installed a few weeks ago, and haven't heard anything good OR Bad from daughter.

I didn't design the engines, so I have no idea what's right, wrong or best for the engines, but I do feel better that all 6 cylinders are firing now. Hopefully we see the oil consumption drop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My problem wasn't the VCM. It was a custom bumper that was causing the vibration. Totally my error thing it was the VCM lol. Master mechanic at Honda narrow it down to the bumper. It runs smooth as butter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like that S-VCM is more sophisticated; able to adjust to different conditions yet protect against overly low temperature readings in the unlikely case of an overheat. I also like that it is powered by the battery, which means that I can easily put a switch in the circuit & disable S-VCM if I feel the need. So far, mine works perfectly.

That being said, I'm not sure if I need it at all. My '09 with 52k miles on it runs smooth as butter even in ECO mode. Its there mostly to try to prevent long-term engine damage. And although I haven't really done the math, I'm concerned that my mileage in city driving takes a big hit with ECO mode off. But I'm keeping it on there. I like having the option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts