Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Do You Change Your Crush Washers?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How could this not be a poll? :)

Yes, no and other options you can vote on. If you think of some options to add, let me know.

Nothing like a good poll catharsis. G'won, express and explain yourself. :)

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
If a technician at the dealer's service department changes your vehicle's oil and the itemized receipt lists a new crush washer, can you be certain that one was actually installed?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I chose never.., but I have replaced an entire bolt and crush washer due to previous owner abuse. Loosing a crush washer is not entirely out of the question. In that case I'd have to go get one at the parts store.
Edited: Vote changed to if lost.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If a technician at the dealer's service department changes your vehicles's oil and the itemized receipt lists a new crush washer, can you be certain that one was actually installed?
If it's my vehicle's crush washer...

That's one reason why any shop that won't let me into the work bay won't get my Pilot in there either. I'll make a restrained number of pleasant general comments and try to stay out of their way, yet always...

If they're my vehicles' crush washers, I'll admit it gets more challenging if they're all there at the same time.

But it's unclear which you meant. :p

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I traditionally haven't... but when we bought the Pilot I got a multipack bag of crush washers for each fill and drain plug on the vehicle. I ended up adding a Fumoto valve on the oil pan (one of the best mods I've ever done) so the others get replaced as needed. Buying them made me wish Honda could have standardized the fill and drain plugs a little better, I see no reason why that wasn't possible.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
If it's my vehicle's crush washer...
If they're my vehicles' crush washers, I'll admit it gets more challenging if they're all there at the same time.
But it's unclear which you meant. :p
One vehicle at a time was the intended meaning.
(Curious that the spellchecker lets "vehicles's" slip right on by.)

·
Registered
353 Posts
The drain and fill plugs on Honda vehicles use sealing washers, not crush washers. ;)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I have a problem with the "when there is a leak" option. Obviously those who replace their sealing washer every time are doing so in fear that if they don't, it might leak. So this voting option implies that eventually you will have a leak if not replaced. I'm not having any leaks, after years of reuse.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a problem with the "when there is a leak" option. Obviously those who replace their sealing washer every time are doing so in fear that if they don't, it might leak. So this voting option implies that eventually you will have a leak if not replaced. I'm not having any leaks, after years of reuse.
So if no one votes for that option, it's an indication that Honda OEM "sealing" washers don't really need to be replaced and are good for the lifetime of the Pilot.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
So if no one votes for that option, it's an indication that Honda OEM "sealing" washers don't really need to be replaced and are good for the lifetime of the Pilot.
There's only one way I'm replacing these. If I lost it. It has happened before. Fumbled the bolt on removal. It bounced off the pan and I could not find the washer. Lol probably rolled to the grass edge and down it went. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's only one way I'm replacing these. If I lost it. It has happened before. Fumbled the bolt on removal. It bounced off the pan and I could not find the washer. Lol probably rolled to the grass edge and down it went. ¯\(ツ)
Your option has been added. :D

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Your option has been added. :D
Lol. Thanks.
Vote changed since I'm not really worried about my online reputation as one who works on his own vehicles.
Want some help with your timing belt water pump job this weekend? LOL

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Careful what you ask for. :p

And what you offer. You might get taken up on it. :D

When they reopen the border, c'mon up. Let me know a couple of days in advance so I can have an Aisin kit waiting for you. It's a bit of a commute from the Lone Star State, but there'll be some good beer in the fridge with your name on it.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One vehicle at a time was the intended meaning.
(Curious that the spellchecker lets "vehicles's" slip right on by.)
Spellcheckers are like walking a tightrope with a net underneath. Where's the adrenaline?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

When they reopen the border, c'mon up. Let me know a couple of days in advance so I can have an Aisin kit waiting for you. It's a bit of a commute from the Lone Star State, but there'll be some good beer in the fridge with your name on it. View attachment 140480
Damn the beer alone is worth the trip !

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

When they reopen the border, c'mon up. Let me know a couple of days in advance so I can have an Aisin kit waiting for you. It's a bit of a commute from the Lone Star State, but there'll be some good beer in the fridge with your name on it. View attachment 140480
Damn the beer alone is worth the trip !
I can't remember if I pulled the grenade pin on the tensioner or not. 🤔
Where's my beer?
Oh that ones yours.
:giggle:

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A Moosehead fan, eh?
Moosehead is all fine and everything, and certainly a far cry from a ride-along in a canoe (I'm looking at you, Pabst Blue Ribbon in a can), but it's what they serve to tourists because it has, you know, the word moose in it. For a true connoisseur, have this or one of its sister labels.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Moosehead is all fine and everything, and certainly a far cry from a ride-along in a canoe (I'm looking at you, Pabst Blue Ribbon in a can), but it's what they serve to tourists because it has, you know, the word moose in it. For a true connoisseur, have this or one of its sister labels.

Aren't tourists usually served Molson or Labatt?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts