Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My children, especially when sitting in the 3rd row, constantly complain about the sound being inaudible in our 2016 EX-L. Do higher trim levels have speakers in the 3rd row? If so, has anyone done a DIY to add these speakers in the EX-L trim? I know I can upgrade the twitters and front and middle row speakers to improve the sound quality but I would like to add the speakers in the 3rd row first if I can do that.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Touring and Elite have 10 speakers versus 7 in the EX-L.

I'll have to check locations.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 10 speaker system is a higher wattage system and adds the Center speaker in the dash and the two Satellite speakers in the 3rd row. All other locations are the same between both systems. The Satellite speakers have their own connection to the Amplifier and are formed in the side plastic just behind your head. The Amplifier is a 6 channel input and 10 channel output so it may be possible to swap amplifiers but I don't have any first hand experience doing it. You could just add the Satellite speakers and then tie them in with the rear door speakers but then you open up the whole ohm can of worms. Putting two 4 ohm speakers in parallel changes it to a 2 ohm load on the amplifier. This may be fine with the Pilot amplifier and I switched out my speakers in my Ford Edge with 2 ohm Infinity speakers around 4 years ago and have never had an issue. Made a huge difference in sound quality in that car.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I wanted the better sound of a touring or elite myself, but not the headaches. I seem to read most issues belong to those two trims. Starting with the tranny. Keep your EX-L for sure and just upgrade the speakers. If you do let us know what you used and how it worked out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OP: I concur with Flyerfan76.

On a a related note, after reading your post, I put on Sirius satellite radio volume to number 12 setting. Sat in the third row and heard everything perfectly fine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When my kids were small and didn't want to wear headphones I added speakers in the 3rd row with a small amp for the video system I had put in http://davidnavone.com/product/amp-100-20-x-20-stereo-amplifier/ This little amp fit awesome under the armrest of the plastic trim. Speakers, if you don't go with factory, and don't mind loosing a cup holder, I used some 3.5" speakers that basically dropped right in cup holder and made a small grill. The amp has level input control that you can set so it blends at correct volume with other parts. You could also add one of the rheostat/volume/bass control type knobs if you want more control.

Mine was tied into the DVD system so when you changed volume on the remote it controlled input to the amp. It worked flawlessly for 15 years, I would have removed it if I had time before trade in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I appreciate all the responses and ‘am trying to figure out what to do next. Can someone post a picture of the location where the 3rd speakers are installed in their Elite or Touring?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Ok I appreciate all the responses and ‘am trying to figure out what to do next. Can someone post a picture of the location where the 3rd speakers are installed in their Elite or Touring?
I just snapped these for you. I hope it helps. I believe third photo is a speaker (behind third row on passenger side), perhaps someone else can verify.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just snapped these for you. I hope it helps. I believe third photo is a speaker (behind third row on passenger side), perhaps someone else can verify.
View attachment 132876 View attachment 132877 View attachment 132878
Thank you @Tourist2012, this is great. I have not noticed the 3rd row speaker grills in my EX-L. Will have to figure out if I need to harvest them from a donor vehicle if I decide to add these speakers. I am thinking of just going to the local Best Buy and asking their installation geeks what it will take to improve sound quality. We have 99k on it already but plan to keep it "till death do us apart" so want to do this upgrade if it doesn't cost a lot. Usually I like to do simple upgrades myself but this might require a little more taking trims apart than I am comfortable with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so i confirmed EX-L doesn’t even have the speaker grill. That is why I couldn’t understand where the 3rd row speakers go :) I guess I will have to go hunting for part number for the Touring/Elite trim piece in my interior color to install the speakers........

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts