Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cabin noise, Recalls, Gas Tank, problmes,,,,, list continues. I have taken my Pilot to the dealer as many as 4 times. My dealer located 20 miles one way. I drove 180 miles (including 20 miles for testing) for repair out of 800 miles. Next visit again after two weeks - another 40 miles. Who knows how many times I may have to visit? Take my advicet do not RUSH to buy PILOT now. Wait for another year until all the problems are solved. I am TERRIBLY dispappointed and frustrated.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sorry to hear that your experience has been that bad. It's never good to hear someone feel that bad about a major purchase. What gas tank issues have you had? I haven't heard of any real issues other than the old "thud" sound, but haven't heard about any failures. As far as road noise is concerned, is this something that has increased over time? If road noise was unacceptable from the beginning, I would expect that you would have picked up on this during a test drive. Also, recalls are recalls. They are unfortunate, but they happen. As I've mentioned before, at least we get a recall. My last vehicle was pretty famous for transmission problems, but we never got a recall out of it.

I'm not here to dismiss your issues as invalid, but I do think it's important to put them in perspective. As others have mentioned before, if you want to see some real problems, go look at some of the Ford, Chrysler, and GM forums. I don't blindly bow to Honda. In fact, this is my first Honda vehicle and only my second non-US vehicle. But then again, maybe that's why I think that the quality is so high.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
RE Don 't rush

I feel bad for you. I have had no problems with mine other then some sagging leather seats that I plan on having addressed on my next visit with dealer. Have you tried dealing with the service man-
ager. Listing all the problems and trip you have made. Good luck!

#947 Havasu
blue EX-L

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hondalover,
Sorry to hear about your experience with Honda. Being Pilot's first year, I was expecting some problems here and there. I have been very happy with the Pilot myself. I have one more issue I need to address and I think my Pilot is perfect....... I will dismissed some of the minor issues cause they do not really bother me.

I know this is not cool but if you want to feel good, read some of the Chevrolet SUV forum (Edmunds.com)........first 100 post are mostly problems that have no resolution and these models have been in production for years.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What did yours go to the dealer for?

You cover the list of complaints, but did not say what your problems are.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Knowledge is scarey

These forums are great. A few years ago, there would have not been such a thing. A person would have purchased with more impulse and been "alone" with no knowledge of "other's" problems. Now, we know ALL and tell ALL. I don't think you can find any forums on any products that don't highlight problems. If you heed them all you'd NEVER buy a car. (Or a TV, VCR, wahser/dryer for that matter, etc)

·
Registered
920 Posts
I agree

If you guys want the ultimate SUV with three rows of seating, you should have waited for the 2003 4 Runner...

I was at the Toyota dealership last night and was checking out the specs on the new 4 and they are very, very impressive. I would say that it blows the Pilot away...

Just off the top of my head...

1. 4.7 liter V-8 engine
2. 7200 lb. towing capacity
3. Vehicle Skid and Traction Control. Both!
4. Thorsen limited slip differential with a specified low gear
5. Full-time 4-wheel drive
6. And the list goes on and on...not to mention the fact that it looks wayyyyy cooler.

I should have waited. That's all I can say-

·
Registered
52 Posts
4 Runner

If you need a truck and can live with all that goes with it, by all means get the 4 Runner. In towing, off-road capability, power, and general toughness, the 4 Runner blows away the Pilot. If you need a minivan with truck attributes, then the Pilot is the way to go. I don't know about the new 03's, but unless Toyota has figured out something they haven't been able to before, then the ride will not be nearly as good as the Pilot's. I haven't seen pricing, but would imagine that the Pilot costs less too. If the 4 Runner had a good ride, they would never have made the Highlander.

·
Registered
82 Posts
MG Pilot...

I think folks are gonna be waiting and waiting if they think the 4runner has 3rd row seating (which is important to many pilot owners)...Your dealer speculating? (and I bet incorrectly)...as for the looks, we'll have to wait and see (they arent at dealers yet)

..and it also looks like you should have been shopping for a more truck based SUV (one that is really an offroad/towing machine)...the pilot isnt really marketed toward that demography where as vehicles such as the 4runner/pathfinder are.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: 4 Runner

homergreg said:
If you need a truck and can live with all that goes with it, by all means get the 4 Runner... If the 4 Runner had a good ride, they would never have made the Highlander.
Ditto!!! Leased a 4R w/ option to buy. Returned it days before the lease was up.

V8 on the new 4R will result in more "Off Roading". Meaning you'll be driving off the road into a gas station every other day. :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Rationalization is a wonderful thing :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here's the pic of the 4R if you have'nt seen it yet. Looks like a Volvo on steroids. IMHO;)

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's the pic of the 4R if you have'nt seen it yet. Looks like a Volvo on steroids.
Naw...my Volvo is much prettier. That is one ugly vehicle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
macbethderham said:

Naw...my Volvo is much prettier. That is one ugly vehicle.
Apologies. Volvos are great vehicles... as long as they are not on steroids.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Maybe

Its a cross between a Volvo, and a Sonata, with a WRX hood scoop.
And I thought the new RAV4 went too far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got to agree with Macbethderham. There's a whole lotta ugly goin' on with that design. Must be in competition with the Aztec! :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
No Way

The Aztek is Professional Grade Ugly, everyone else is only amatures!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Aztek is major-league hideous. What were they thinking?:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My guess. . . . Someone in the Buick division put a post-it note on the Rendesvous design: "Is there any way we could make this any uglier?" The guys in the Poniac design shop must have taken them up on it!:19:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts