Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this whole forum thing so excuse me if I seem like I'm a newbie... :D This is a great place! Come here at least twice a day!

I previously posted the fact that I plunked down a $500 deposit on a Sage Brush Pearl EX-L w/ Nav at one dealership. They said when they got one in that they would only charge me MSRP (no markup). The only problem is that since they are not a high-volume dealer, they only get one Nav model per month and that there's a small chance of getting the SBP color. I could end up waiting a loooooong time. They were nice though.

That was last weekend...

I just got back from my local area dealer, Miller Honda in Culver City. They are a pretty large dealer. In fact they had several Pilots on the lot. I swear I walked by 4 to 5 Pilots, not including the Demo. They checked their paperwork and said they could get me the SBP w/ Nav within a week. A WEEK! And if I was really serious, possibly even 2 days if they rushed things along.

Here's the catch...

They are asking for a $3,000 markup. :confused: WOW! "Of course we can negotiate the markup," the salesman said. Well I would hope so. :)

So now I'm in a bind. Do I really want the Pilot that bad?!?! (Heck YAH!) Am I willing to sit through an arduous negotiation process to try to wittle down the $3,000 markup? Uh... that's a question my wife and I will have to struggle with. My head hurts now.

Well, just wanted to know what all your thoughts were. Did anybody go through the same dillema?

·
Registered
29 Posts
We kinda had the same thing happen when we were looking for a silver Pilot in June. We put a $500 deposit on a blue one with the local dealer in hopes that he could trade. We only wanted it by Sept for vacation. It became apparent that the local dealer wasn't likely to get a silver one by then so we found one 100 miles away. We paid MSRP but OVER PAID for options that we didn't even want in the first place. It's left us a tad bitter. Don't give in to the markup. Keep looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
919 Posts
First of all, welcome. It's great to see someone reach out and start posting. I also visit the forum at least twice a day...or was that twice an hour, I can't remember. Anyway, ultimately only you and your wife can make this decision, but you already knew that. If it were me I wouldn't do it. I would rather watch an entire Cincinnati Bengals game than pay more than sticker for a vehicle. But I do fully understand the excitement of a new vehicle and if it's driving you nuts to the point that the extra cash is worth it to you in order to get it home, then here is what I would do.

First, call out to some other dealers in a pretty wide radius. 200-300 miles away. Make sure that you can't find one yourself. If they are telling you they can get one that fast it means that there is one available at a dealer that they can trade with. Chances are it's within a few hundred miles. If you can find it, you might be able to get it at MSRP from them. Even if you are doubtful, give it a shot. It's only going to cost you a few phone calls.

If that doesn't work I would start negotiations on the markup. It will be easier if you are planning to get a few of the larger accessories as it gives you more room to play with profit dollars. If you end up at 1,000 dollars over MSRP and all accessories at dealer cost, it might not work out too bad. Work a deal on an extended warranty ONLY if you were already planning to get one (it's not a discount if you weren't even going to get one). Including regular maintenance for x number of times might also be a place to deal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Chris

************EDIT*************
I almost forgot. Once you make up your mind, put the decision behind you. If you decide not to jump at the chance, don't dwell on it while you wait for an MSRP opportunity to arive. If you do decide to pay the premium and get it now, don't let the extra cash paid haunt you. Forget about it and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Welcome to the board. :D

Man, a $3,000 markup is unheard of around these parts. Even on 6/3/02 (roll out day) every dealer I talked to was only asking (and getting) MSRP plus delivery. IMHO, I think you should be able to do better without having to wait forever, even where you are.

Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here in the Bay Area from day 1 the Pilot came out to today, some dealers are still asking $3000 - $6000 over MSRP. (Negotiable of coarse). Went to 2 local Honda Dealers to buy some oil filters. (The filters were 2 for $7.00, pretty good for genuine Honda filters.) and saw at both places asking $35,000 for the LX. I asked a sales guy about the price and he said it's because they added fog lights and running boards to all the Pilots. Now you and I know foglights and running boards only run about $700. Sheesh!!!

Sad part is he said people were actually buying them like hot cakes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think $3000 is a little bit high. There are places here in the island asking up to $5000 over but we were lucky to find a place that only charged $500 over. Try other places, even other states.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree with BMWRT, you might want to try other dealerships. Even if you have to check with dealerships in other states.

·
Registered
71 Posts
PJ27 - Welcome Aboard!!!

Rule #1 - stay away from Miller Honda (Culver City)...PERIOD!!! $3000 mark-up is insane!!! Miller Honda of Van Nuys is the same - they are doing mark-ups like crazy.

I posted a few weeks ago on the corruption that Miller Honda did - long story short - they flat out lied to me.

Try Kolbe Honda in Reseda - I think the # is 800-735-1424. I got mine from them - no mark-up. Straight deal, they told me from the get go that they are selling the Pilot at MSRP. Kolbe is about 20 minutes away from Culver City (off of the 101/Reseda). Ask for Tom Cervelli. If you want the SBP - you might have to order, but at least you know that there is no mark-up.

The other option I could offer is to shop around. Some folks in this group are fortunate to get no mark-up and have some add-ons included. I'm from Ventura County and I shopped the following dealers:

Vista Honda Ventura - no mark-up, but you have to order and wait
Honda of Oxnard - mark-up to no mark-up negotiable
Thousand Oaks Honda - mark-up
1st Honda of Simi Valley - negotiable mark-up
Keyes Woodland Hills - negotiable
Kolbe Honda - no mark-up
Miller Honda - MARK-UP
Santa Monica Honda - Mark-up
Honda of Hollywood - mark-up
Honda of Pasadena - Mark-up
Colonial Honda - mark-up
Valencia Honda - mark-up, they even laughed when I asked for MSRP
Kaiser Bros. LA Honda - Mark-up

I had forgotten the actual amounts of mark-up. Try Kolbe first - it doesn't seem that far from you if you live near Culver City.

·
Registered
389 Posts
BMWRT said:
I think $3000 is a little bit high. There are places here in the island asking up to $5000 over but we were lucky to find a place that only charged $500 over. Try other places, even other states.
If I were you I will call all the Honda dealership within 50-100 mile radius. You never know they might just have it.

However, some of our members have had bad experience on over the phone dealings. The salesman will give you a different price after arriving at the dealership. You might wanna have them fax you a price quote in writing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you

Thank you to all who replied.

My wife came home and said, "$3,000! No way!". We basically concurred with most of the posts to this thread. We are going to shop around. Gardena Honda, the first dealer we visited, had no markup. We'll keep our deposit and wait patiently. We'll also make a trip to Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos (or maybe just call).

Jason, thanks for the run-down on all your information regarding markups. I'll definitely check out Kolbe Honda in Reseda. It's close to my mother's house.

-pj

·
Registered
71 Posts
PJ -

Good luck to you!!!

Let us know how it goes.

BTW, I added 'em Pep Boys chrome tips.......thanks for the "tips" guys!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
no way to $3000

Hey;
If you are in SoCal, I bought mine for MSRP from Gardena Honda.
My deal was given by Fred Vand.
I just called them and asked for a fleet deal and they let me talk to him and he sold it to me for MSRP... Just be ready to buy the car...
Also, if you call further out East, the deal gets a lot better, for example, Hemet, Victorville, and Corona, they don't ask for $3000...

Hemet asked for $1000 in accesory purchase that's all...

Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Man! With that kind of a markup you could take a vacation to a place that has the Pilot at MSRP (or better) and buy it while you are there.

Hmmmm....I wonder if there are any Honda dealers near Disney?

Good choice to pass on the markup! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got our Nighthawk Black EX-L at MSRP!

PJ27 and all potential Southern California buyers:

There are MSRP deals out there - you just have to let your fingers do the walking!

We just took delivery of our Nighthawk Black EX-L from Norm Reeves in Huntington Beach. We paid MSRP with no forced accessories! I really can't believe this dealer experience because everything was done FAIRLY and HONESTLY! We went to the dealer to do the paperwork and got our car in two days after negotiating on the phone. We were in and out of his dealership in two hours. Give him a call or e-mail him and tell him that the Diaz family sent you!

Bryan Van Cleave
Business Development Manager
Norm Reeves Honda
Huntington Beach
714-963-1959 x8306
714-317-1542 cell
[email protected] mobile e-mail

We used the internet as well as our credit union's car buying service and found some deals at MSRP but no one was as timely and persistent at finding the car we wanted quicker than Bryan was. He's a very resourceful guy and will find a car out there even if he has to trade with another dealer one of his Odysseys or Accords for their Pilot.

Heed Gap4Jason's advice (thanks Jason!) and call around, making sure you mention that you got their number from their website. Dealers know that you're looking for the best deal on the internet and that you are an educated customer - and will sometimes remove the added markup. If you simply walk into dealerships without mentioning an internet referral, you'll really have to try hard and negotiate the markup - a waste of your time.

Good Luck!

Melvin and Christina Diaz

·
Registered
71 Posts
>Did they offer to kiss you first and take you to eat?

That's funny. The day that I was at Miller Honda - they were serving Taco's F - R - E - E !!! Woohoo.....no wonder they're marking it up.:2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
DON'T DO IT! I had the same problems when purchasing my MDX. I walked away from a weasel dealer and started over at another dealer ... had to wait 5 more months ... but I just couldn't give the weasel dealer my money.

They can only screw you if you let them :rolleyes: . If more people walked away we wouldn't be having this discussion.

·
Registered
449 Posts
WAIT

We had to fly across our state to save the $3K. For a $75 plane ticket and a few enjoyable hours drive back, we saved. We did have to wait an extra month, but it just gave me another excuse to lurk this forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The saga continues...

Again, thanks to all the replies to my post. I'm quite shocked at the outpour of enthusiasm over the topic.

We'll definitely NOT be going to Miller Honda in Culver City. Now that I've called around, I know I can easily get a better deal. EASILY!

I called Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos and in Huntington Beach. They both will charge MSRP BUT... :( They will charge up the wazoo in options. One salesperson quoted me $1,700 for the following three options: (1) Side Steps, (2) Cargo Cover, and (3) Wheel Locks. Correct me if I'm wrong... but don't those three items retail for $683. Would you really pay someone over $1,000 to install those options? :confused:

At the advice of another poster (thanks Jason) I called Kolbe Honda in Reseda. The salesman is checking with his sales manager but says he can get me a non-accesorized SBP EX-L w/ NAV at MSRP. He says he has two white EX-L's w/ Nav on the lot that he can use to trade.

I hope to update this thread with some good news soon! :D

-pj

·
Registered
12 Posts
PJ:

Did you talk to Bryan at Norm Reeves Huntington Beach? Both my wife and I talked to different people, but it's the internet/fleet manager that you have to talk to in order to get the best deal. Remember to tell him that Mel Diaz sent you (Nighthawk Black EX-L) and he'll get you one at MSRP!

mmm

:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts